Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Low energy levels - any advice? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I'm 22 and from my teenage years I've had really low energy levels. I've just graduated and I'm ready to seriously tackle this problem, please let me know if you can give me advice.

Ok basically I get tired very easily and I just never ever feel very awake. I remember when I was in year 11 at school I would come home and often go to sleep as early as 6 or 7pm and wake up for 7 am the next day. I would always just be so exhausted. Through college I would sleep excessively aswell. I had a blood test but nothing showed up on the results.

Mostly at university I would go in for lectures (If I was able to wake up on time) and as soon as I would come home I'd lie down and nap. I did my year abroad last year and I would always come home from work completely exhausted and sleep a lot. Everyone who has lived with me comments on how much I sleep. I really can't help it I just get tired so easily and I really don't know why I have so little stamina.

I found out last year I have PCOS, but I asked my doctor and he said it wouldn't link it to fatigue. Does anyone have any tips on how to conquer low energy/fatigue? Does what I've written sound very abnormal to you? I feel like my energy levels have really affected my school and uni life but now I'm graduated I really want to make the most of my life and wake up. Please help me, I'm nearly in tears writing this... I'm so sick of exhaustion.

ReputationRep:
    What's your diet/exercise like? Are you trying to lose weight all the time, and if so, how much do you tend to lose in a week? (It's recommended to not lose more than 1kg per week.)

Also, have you asked your GP about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (also known as myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME))? You can sometimes get it after a bad viral infection, especially if you didn't rest properly during the infection and while you were recovering. It's probably not this, but I have a friend who has it and its worth looking into.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Get a blood test. I was like that when I was thirteen. I fainted in school and was diagnosed with severe acute anaemia. I nearly died.

I'm not saying you have what I had. But low iron levels are often a cause of low energy levels and it's very simple to fix.

On a slightly cool note, a scan of my blood is in a medical journal as an example of really terrible blood

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honeyandlemon)
    Hey. I'm 22 and from my teenage years I've had really low energy levels. I've just graduated and I'm ready to seriously tackle this problem, please let me know if you can give me advice.

Ok basically I get tired very easily and I just never ever feel very awake. I remember when I was in year 11 at school I would come home and often go to sleep as early as 6 or 7pm and wake up for 7 am the next day. I would always just be so exhausted. Through college I would sleep excessively aswell. I had a blood test but nothing showed up on the results.

Mostly at university I would go in for lectures (If I was able to wake up on time) and as soon as I would come home I'd lie down and nap. I did my year abroad last year and I would always come home from work completely exhausted and sleep a lot. Everyone who has lived with me comments on how much I sleep. I really can't help it I just get tired so easily and I really don't know why I have so little stamina.

I found out last year I have PCOS, but I asked my doctor and he said it wouldn't link it to fatigue. Does anyone have any tips on how to conquer low energy/fatigue? Does what I've written sound very abnormal to you? I feel like my energy levels have really affected my school and uni life but now I'm graduated I really want to make the most of my life and wake up. Please help me, I'm nearly in tears writing this... I'm so sick of exhaustion.
    how is your sleep at the moment? like duration, quality, how long it takes you to fall asleep and how tired you are when you wake up, and if you wake up naturally or with an alarm.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is I've had two blood tests in the past because I've complained of low energy and both came back normal. I really don't know what is wrong.

PCOS gets me down a lot too.

ReputationRep:
    drink plenty of water!!! I used to feel so tired after college, and i used to forget studying after school and go straight to sleep! Just drink 2-3 litres of water every day and plenty of fruit and u will be fine!

ReputationRep:
    could be hypothyroidism? I am hypothyroid and used to feel really weak and tired before I started receiving medication! could also be low levels of iron... get a blood test

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 28, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.