Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I stay in an University accomidation if i Study through OU? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, i've been thinking for a while now that i'd like to study archeology though the OU, I came out of college with no A levels due to family issues which meant i was unable to sit my exams (which was 2 years ago) I have worked for the past 2 years but think it would be highly unlucky that i would be able to study in my home environment!

Do university accommodations allow OU students to pay and live in their student accommodation? I know of a few people who study at 'colleges' who manage to stay in uni accommodation, so wondered if it were possible for OU students!

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squirtchy)
    Hey guys, i've been thinking for a while now that i'd like to study archeology though the OU, I came out of college with no A levels due to family issues which meant i was unable to sit my exams (which was 2 years ago) I have worked for the past 2 years but think it would be highly unlucky that i would be able to study in my home environment!

Do university accommodations allow OU students to pay and live in their student accommodation? I know of a few people who study at 'colleges' who manage to stay in uni accommodation, so wondered if it were possible for OU students!

Cheers
    You might be able to stay in the privately owned halls, however they're very expensive.

When studying with OU you don't get funding for living costs, so you would definitely need to work as well. Some of the private ones stipulate you must be a full time student, in which case you couldn't stay there as OU is all part time.

ReputationRep:
    Unlikely as you would be classed as a part time student. This has implications for council tax as you are not exempt as a part time student. Technically this could make the whole building liable for council tax, if you were the only non full time student, you would be liable for at least 75% of the building council tax bill. Which is why even private halls of residence specify that you must be a full time student.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.