Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My friend and I have different religions but still... Watch

My friend jokes about my religion. Her ignorance truly shocks me and it hurts my feelings that she degrades my beliefs constantly. She keeps on offering bacon/ham and says that I am a bad Muslim. With the food offerings she insists its unintentional but it has happened to many times for it to be so. The offerings also increased during Ramadan when I was fasting and I had to remind her basically everyday. She never apologies for it though but kept on mentioning 'oh you must be hungry/thirsty' before offering me a ham sandwich. I respect the fact that she is still able to eat when I am fasting. But does it have to be in front of my face. I tell her frequently not to but she still continues with the rudeness/ food offerings. We are both 18 so it isn't anything to do with her being young and naïve. She did religious studies for gcse yet does not know basic things about my faith. I get so annoyed and I don't know what to do anymore. Can someone help me as I don't know what to say or do anymore- if this doesn't improve I have considered discontinuing my friendship with her.

ReputationRep:
    A true friend is someone who really cares about you and respect you. sorry to say this but from the way she treats you she has no respect for you and kinda has no feelings. Find someone who is your type and would never hurt your feelings. CHOOSE WISELY . I think you shouldn't be with someone who understands and have same beliefs. GOOD LUCK

ReputationRep:
    If I were you I'd sit down with her and let her know how you feel about it, because it might just be a case of chronic misunderstanding. People seem to be uncomfortable with what they don't understand, so do things like that. If she can't adjust and carries on after this though, I think it'd be best to distance yourself. Friends are meant to support you, not get you down. I hope you sort it out

ReputationRep:
    Next time you see your friend, say this: "It is getting to the point where your constant disrespect for my religious beliefs is jeopardising our friendship. Unless you stop offering me food during Ramadan, or pork products at any time, then I don't feel we can continue to be friends. It's not funny, it is really disrespectful and upsetting."

My friend decided that it would be funny to wave chicken nuggets under my nose when I was fasting. Didn't say anything then but did the next day at school and she has never done anything since.

(Original post by so123)
    A true friend is someone who really cares about you and respect you. sorry to say this but from the way she treats you she has no respect for you and kinda has no feelings. Find someone who is your type and would never hurt your feelings. CHOOSE WISELY . I think you shouldn't be with someone who understands and have same beliefs. GOOD LUCK
    Thank you for your response. I don't think my friend understands how much it hurts me. I am going to directly tell my friend to stop and give one last chance. But I do think I will continue so I will have to lose a friend who I care a lot about.

(Original post by Gretel_)
    If I were you I'd sit down with her and let her know how you feel about it, because it might just be a case of chronic misunderstanding. People seem to be uncomfortable with what they don't understand, so do things like that. If she can't adjust and carries on after this though, I think it'd be best to distance yourself. Friends are meant to support you, not get you down. I hope you sort it out
    I have told her numerous times to stop doing this. I will approach her and bluntly tell her to stop otherwise I will distance myself. At first I thought she did it unintentionally but it happens too many times so she is not doing it by mistake. I don't understand why she can't see that what she is doing is disrespectful. :mad:I genuinely don't want this to end badly though.

(Original post by Crumpet1)
    Next time you see your friend, say this: "It is getting to the point where your constant disrespect for my religious beliefs is jeopardising our friendship. Unless you stop offering me food during Ramadan, or pork products at any time, then I don't feel we can continue to be friends. It's not funny, it is really disrespectful and upsetting."
    I am going to say this as a final warning and emphasise the bit in bold. Thank you for helping
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    What a "mean" friend you have. I agree with giving her one more chance. Her doing it once wouldn't be too bad (because she may not know / understand) but constantly doing it is out of order.

ReputationRep:
    My best friends are all muslim and i'm a very non religious christian. I really think you should sit your friend down and tell her what postion her ignorance is putting you in. During Ramadan i refused to drink/eat infront of my friends even when they told me it wouldn't bother them. If your friend can't respect you or your faith then she obviously isn't really your friend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 24, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.