Hey all, sorry to hog a thread all to myself but WTH,

I'm pretty pleased with my AS results:

-Latin A (95.5%)
    -Physics (95.5%)
    -Further Maths (94%)
    -Maths (93%)
    -Philosophy B (-_-) (Dropping)

But I've only got 5 A* GCSEs and 6 As.

I think I prefer Oxford at first sight but I just want to play my cards right with regards to my Oxbridge application, otherwise I'm ****ed, and Cambridge is great too.

Would it be safer to go for Cambridge despite my B's, considering I can still slip up on Oxford's aptitude test and written submissions?

Thanks guys,

ReputationRep:
    I don't think either Oxford or Cambridge can ever be counted as a 'safe' application, but I have seen various friends in the past been turned down by Oxford who didn't get particularly amazing GCSEs/ASs but then went on to get multiple A*s at A-Level. Generally, I think Oxford is more known for Classics (read into that what you will), but I think the only way to decide is to visit both and see which you prefer rather than trying to predict your comparative likelihood of getting a place.

ReputationRep:
    I think this is an easier decision than would be the choosing between almost any other two same-named courses at these two.

The Oxford course, while now called classics, was until recently called "Literae Humaniores" and comprises Classics, Philosophy and Ancient History. My best guess is that the name change was a cosmetic measure intended to widen access, with the old name seen as daunting for too many. What's anyway implied by this is that you will have at Oxford to study (even modern) Philosophy. If you were to enjoy it, you could even make the study of philosophy the major part of your degree, choosing as many as 5 philosophy papers at finals. At Cambridge you can largely opt in or out of ancient philosophy with no requirement (and far less opportunity) to engage with modern philosophy

What's true as well is that the Oxford course takes a default 4 years with an extra year available for students who need language training before commencing the course proper, while the Cambridge course takes a default 3 years with that extra year available there as well.

So, for all that the courses now have the same name, they here have significantly different content and as well different durations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    I think this is an easier decision than would be the choosing between almost any other two same-named courses at these two.

The Oxford course, while now called classics, was until recently called "Literae Humaniores" and comprises Classics, Philosophy and Ancient History. My best guess is that the name change was a cosmetic measure intended to widen access, with the old name seen as daunting for too many. What's anyway implied by this is that you will have at Oxford to study (even modern) Philosophy. If you were to enjoy it, you could even make the study of philosophy the major part of your degree, choosing as many as 5 philosophy papers at finals. At Cambridge you can largely opt in or out of ancient philosophy with no requirement (and far less opportunity) to engage with modern philosophy

What's true as well is that the Oxford course takes a default 4 years with an extra year available for students who need language training before commencing the course proper, while the Cambridge course takes a default 3 years with that extra year available there as well.

So, for all that the courses now have the same name, they here have significantly different content and as well different durations.
    Ah okay, that's cool. I knew about the Litterae Humaniores and that it's a wide ranged course (a big appeal for me). It will probably come down to whether I want 3 or 4 years, maybe with a law conversion on top.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford started as a classics university and still is a classics university-only joking apparently oxford has a very good classics rep.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.