Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice for first time lifter! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey.

I'm a 21 year old guy that wants to start lifting and building body mass. I've been lowering by BF % since January and when I return to University, i'd like to build some muscle.

I initially wanted to buy P90X and do that programme as well as following the correct diet, but after having read numerous reviews from people it would seem that P90X definitely in't the best way to go about achieving my goal. People have told me just to get in the gym and start lifting.

I've read lots of articles on building body mass (the one of ACalorieCounter is very good!), and so I know all about how the process is achieved etc, but have no idea how to implement it.

I may follow the example workout in the article I read, because I really don't know how to go about making a workout routine... I've also never really been into the weight section of a gym and don't really know how to use any of the machines etc. Would you guys suggest that I ask someone to help me get to terms with what I should be doing (technique etc)? Or maybe hire a personal trainer for a few sessions?

I don't want to just walk into the gym with a workout routine with absolutely no idea about how to use equipment or how to lift. Another thing that worries me is that people will look down on me for lifting such small weights. I know everyone has to start somewhere, but when that section of the gym is full of big lads that have been lifting weights for a while, it can be a bit intimidating.

The rest, I seem to have down... Making sure I have a calorie surplus with the right macros, rest etc etc.

So, any advice guys?

ReputationRep:
    P90X and all of that **** is a waste of time. go check out stronglifts and elliot hulse. both these guys have vast knowledge when it comes to strength training. there are 3-4 main exercises you need to do. Deadlifts, Bench, OHP, Squats these are the main ones which quite a lot of people base their training around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ross E)
    Hey.

I'm a 21 year old guy that wants to start lifting and building body mass. I've been lowering by BF % since January and when I return to University, i'd like to build some muscle.

I initially wanted to buy P90X and do that programme as well as following the correct diet, but after having read numerous reviews from people it would seem that P90X definitely in't the best way to go about achieving my goal. People have told me just to get in the gym and start lifting.

I've read lots of articles on building body mass (the one of ACalorieCounter is very good!), and so I know all about how the process is achieved etc, but have no idea how to implement it.

I may follow the example workout in the article I read, because I really don't know how to go about making a workout routine... I've also never really been into the weight section of a gym and don't really know how to use any of the machines etc. Would you guys suggest that I ask someone to help me get to terms with what I should be doing (technique etc)? Or maybe hire a personal trainer for a few sessions?

I don't want to just walk into the gym with a workout routine with absolutely no idea about how to use equipment or how to lift. Another thing that worries me is that people will look down on me for lifting such small weights. I know everyone has to start somewhere, but when that section of the gym is full of big lads that have been lifting weights for a while, it can be a bit intimidating.

The rest, I seem to have down... Making sure I have a calorie surplus with the right macros, rest etc etc.

So, any advice guys?
    Right fella i have some great info to give you!!!

First of all don't even bother with P90X and all these other fad programmes that just simply want your money mate. people always make bodybuilding more complicated than what it is which is where they go wrong. Im no arnold shwarznegger but i've made unbelievable gains in a year of lifting going from a 130pound ectomorph and now i weigh 175 pounds. but hey this is about you not me ...........

First of all, stop doing your body fat lowering or whatever focus on gaining some serious size not reducing it mate.

Right, seen as you're a newbie, its easy for you to make gains. the first 2-3 months of weightlifting you have the fastest growth rate compared to any time after this even if you have been lifting for years and years.

What you need to do is get in the gym and do compound major compound movements like the squat, deadlift, bench press, shoulder dumbell press and many others ill talk about this after.

First of all you need to familiarise yourself with the muscles that need tobe trained you can not just choose a few or you can come out un-proportional probably in the long term.

The main muscles to be trained are Chest,Shoulders, Traps, Legs, Back, and your arms (biceps and triceps).
    Now you can go on this website to find COMPOUND (compound movements increase lifts because these excersises work more than one muscle at once) MOVEMENTS to use when you go gym.....
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/
    On this site you can choose a muscle and only tick the compound movements lifts.

Now you know what excersises to do, you need to know how to do them properly, safely and effectively!!! so i would reccomend you watch a youtuber called Scott Herman Fitness.
    All you gotta do is type the excersice name and then type scott herman into youtube search. eg. 'Bench press scott herman'

For the big muscles (Chest, shoulders, back and legs) you should do no more than 5-6 excersises and for each excersises you do only do a maximum of 3 sets per excersises.

for the smaller muscles like arms... only do about 2-3 excersises (TRUST ME) they will still grow immensely because your big muscle workouts will work your arms too.

Now in terms of rep range do 8-10 reps (i do 6-8 but im more experienced - you wanna be safe).

this is an example workout for chest...
    Chest; Flat bench press - 3 sets for 8-10 reps
    incline bench press - 3 sets 8-10 reps
    decline bench press - 2 sets 8-10 reps
    dumbell flyes - 3 sets 8-12 reps
    cable crossovers - 3 sets 8-12 reps

Please do not try to lift really heavy weights or compete with people we are all genetically different and have strengths and weaknesses in different areas

I really hope this info doesn't go to waste lift hard and eat well. go hard on them calories and get loads of protein in brother !!!! good luck and feel free to ask me more ! sorry for writing a book theres so much more advice i could give you i love talking about the gym.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adil_1806)
    Right fella i have some great info to give you!!!

First of all don't even bother with P90X and all these other fad programmes that just simply want your money mate. people always make bodybuilding more complicated than what it is which is where they go wrong. Im no arnold shwarznegger but i've made unbelievable gains in a year of lifting going from a 130pound ectomorph and now i weigh 175 pounds. but hey this is about you not me ...........

First of all, stop doing your body fat lowering or whatever focus on gaining some serious size not reducing it mate.

Right, seen as you're a newbie, its easy for you to make gains. the first 2-3 months of weightlifting you have the fastest growth rate compared to any time after this even if you have been lifting for years and years.

What you need to do is get in the gym and do compound major compound movements like the squat, deadlift, bench press, shoulder dumbell press and many others ill talk about this after.

First of all you need to familiarise yourself with the muscles that need tobe trained you can not just choose a few or you can come out un-proportional probably in the long term.

The main muscles to be trained are Chest,Shoulders, Traps, Legs, Back, and your arms (biceps and triceps).
    Now you can go on this website to find COMPOUND (compound movements increase lifts because these excersises work more than one muscle at once) MOVEMENTS to use when you go gym.....
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/
    On this site you can choose a muscle and only tick the compound movements lifts.

Now you know what excersises to do, you need to know how to do them properly, safely and effectively!!! so i would reccomend you watch a youtuber called Scott Herman Fitness.
    All you gotta do is type the excersice name and then type scott herman into youtube search. eg. 'Bench press scott herman'

For the big muscles (Chest, shoulders, back and legs) you should do no more than 5-6 excersises and for each excersises you do only do a maximum of 3 sets per excersises.

for the smaller muscles like arms... only do about 2-3 excersises (TRUST ME) they will still grow immensely because your big muscle workouts will work your arms too.

Now in terms of rep range do 8-10 reps (i do 6-8 but im more experienced - you wanna be safe).

this is an example workout for chest...
    Chest; Flat bench press - 3 sets for 8-10 reps
    incline bench press - 3 sets 8-10 reps
    decline bench press - 2 sets 8-10 reps
    dumbell flyes - 3 sets 8-12 reps
    cable crossovers - 3 sets 8-12 reps

Please do not try to lift really heavy weights or compete with people we are all genetically different and have strengths and weaknesses in different areas

I really hope this info doesn't go to waste lift hard and eat well. go hard on them calories and get loads of protein in brother !!!! good luck and feel free to ask me more ! sorry for writing a book theres so much more advice i could give you i love talking about the gym.
    Thanks a lot! I guess I'll just have to lose that fear and get straight in the gym, not worrying what others are thinking I'm sure it'll all become second nature to me as time goes on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ross E)
    Thanks a lot! I guess I'll just have to lose that fear and get straight in the gym, not worrying what others are thinking I'm sure it'll all become second nature to me as time goes on
    Yeah believe me it will, once you started seeing some progress you'll be addicted to going. Just make sure you keep to considerably lower weights for your first two weeks so you can get use to the form and weights and then you will be on your way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here's lifting in its purest form: "There's something heavy now go lift it."

Screw any program. You don't need something like that. Thousands of others can reach their goals without their help and you can too.

As for any guidance, I would say for the love of christ keep your back straight and strong. It's meant to be supporting your standing up. It's not meant to be doing the lifting by itself. Bad things happen when you try to 'put your back into it'.

ReputationRep:
      http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/
      Find some exercises which fit to you and start with appropriate one.
      You may start with a bar only. After you can adjust your posture exactly, you can increase the weight.
      Do not burn any stage. You must go from step to step or your muscle would be hurt so bad.
      As many advises "Take your time"

ReputationRep:
      Ross.

Please don't waste your time going to the gym without an intelligent plan. And please *don't* spend the majority of your time doing the 'big 3' (deadlifts, squat, bench)- here's exactly why you don't want to do that:
      www.hotfitbody.com
      Basically, you'll end up looking like a round, puffy meathead. Use a simple, smart program that tells you which exercises to do, for what what purpose, and how to do them properly. The guys in the gym will give you the same misinformation they got. Even a lot of the 'bros' on bodybuilding.com will tell you what works if you want to look like a bloated bodybuilder. If you want to look lean and cut like most people do, I recommend the video on the hotfitbody site.

ReputationRep:
      First step is join a gym and start going, then start asking questions.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by BriB123)
      Ross.

Please don't waste your time going to the gym without an intelligent plan. And please *don't* spend the majority of your time doing the 'big 3' (deadlifts, squat, bench)- here's exactly why you don't want to do that:
      www.hotfitbody.com
      Basically, you'll end up looking like a round, puffy meathead. Use a simple, smart program that tells you which exercises to do, for what what purpose, and how to do them properly. The guys in the gym will give you the same misinformation they got. Even a lot of the 'bros' on bodybuilding.com will tell you what works if you want to look like a bloated bodybuilder. If you want to look lean and cut like most people do, I recommend the video on the hotfitbody site.
      this is total rubbish.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Cucurbita)
      this is total rubbish.
      Nope. This is smart working out, by one of the most respected fitness bloggers in the biz. I'm a fitness professional, for years, and *I* use his program with myself and with clients. A lot of the random stuff folks are saying on this thread *is* rubbish, however. If you think it's just about $, then just go to Rusty Moore's blog for free, high-quality info. Fitness Black Book. Real deal.

ReputationRep:
      Do a pull/push/legs routine. Give it a google.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      create a good routine, eat well and have fun in the gym!
      Definitely start by going to the gym and just start light and work your way up.
      If you are unsure in the gym about specific exercises I'm sure people will be helpful should you ask for help.
      as for a routine creator one can be found here http://www.smarterhealthandfitness.c.../Generator.php

If you need any more help feel free to message me

ReputationRep:
      Nope. This is smart working out, by one of the most respected fitness bloggers in the biz. I'm a fitness professional, for years, and *I* use his program with myself and with clients. A lot of the random stuff folks are saying on this thread *is* rubbish, however. If you think it's just about $, then just go to Rusty Moore's blog for free, high-quality info. Fitness Black Book. Real deal.
      You sound like a total shill
      please explain to me how the big three make you look like a "meathead"? Muscle is muscle. Compound lifts and eating well is the best way to gain muscle.

ReputationRep:
      Thanks for saying I sound like a shill, that's productive, and you obviously haven't made any effort. If you actually go to the site, and click through, that's easily explained on the very first line on the very first page. Rusty Moore explains it very simply and very well in both video and written form. Instead of insulting and naysaying, why don't you try being open to learning something you obviously don't know? Why do people talk before they know what they're saying?

ReputationRep:
      Actually, on re-reading, maybe you weren't intending to insult and just asking. I'll take the question at face value...

'Muscle is muscle' is the epitome of the (sorry) 'meathead' approach. It says, 'just throw a lot of muscle on anywhere, that's what counts, and the rest will take care of itself. The extra muscle helps metabolism, lose flab, and so on..' Well.. The 'big 3' WILL add muscle, and quickly, and no doubt. The problem is all that muscle will be concentrated on your butt, thighs, and waist- creating that rounded, bulked up 'bodybuilder' look. The metabolism benefit is negligible, and there are better ways to burn fat. As far as your 'look', all muscle is NOT good muscle, and that's only the beginning.

What I appreciate so much about the program I mentioned (and did) was how it considers where to gain and how to train for a lean, angular build- how to build for size where desired, and how to train for density and definition where desired, creating an overall mint look. And, it's all about functional strength- which as it turns out builds a better looking body. Does that help? -B.

ReputationRep:
      Actually, on re-reading, maybe you weren't intending to insult and just asking. I'll take the question at face value...

'Muscle is muscle' is the epitome of the (sorry) 'meathead' approach. It says, 'just throw a lot of muscle on anywhere, that's what counts, and the rest will take care of itself. The extra muscle helps metabolism, lose flab, and so on..' Well.. The 'big 3' WILL add muscle, and quickly, and no doubt. The problem is all that muscle will be concentrated on your butt, thighs, and waist- creating that rounded, bulked up 'bodybuilder' look. The metabolism benefit is negligible, and there are better ways to burn fat. As far as your 'look', all muscle is NOT good muscle, and that's only the beginning.

What I appreciate so much about the program I mentioned (and did) was how it considers where to gain and how to train for a lean, angular build- how to build for size where desired, and how to train for density and definition where desired, creating an overall mint look. And, it's all about functional strength- which as it turns out builds a better looking body. Does that help? -B.

yer cos this will be so useful to a 1st time lifter... just no.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
      Who's dumb? I don't exactly hear a cogent counterargument.
      From where I sit, any moron with a search engine can sit on his butt and post a silly gif.

Name:  BeforeAndAfter.png
Views: 118
Size:  187.6 KB

This is me. Yes, actually me. Done with iPhoto and Pages. Posted to my facebook wall. I got lazy for a few months and tried Visual Impact over the summer to get lean. This was the result after 5 weeks. No, I'm still not the biggest guy in the world, I wasn't training for that though I did gain mass in places I wanted to. I got my body the way I wanted to.

Look at the dudes in your gym. If you want your body to look like theirs, then by all means work out like them and do what they say. If you want to have a more sleek look and still fit into normal clothes, this is a good program. Do what you want, you don't have to do it. That's all I'm saying.

KingGym, respect, and it is easy for a beginner to start with, no big deal.

Scoobiedoobie, that's what I did this summer. What did you do? Sit around and get high?

Put up or shut up.

ReputationRep:

The squat in particular is a super exercise. It's incredibly functional, fixes posture, mobility, makes you stronger, faster and can be used to increase total body mass. Any person that thinks it's a waste of time cannot be taken seriously at all. Being functional is the most important thing. Doing exercises merely to look good yet having no athletic ability is stupid and vain.

Aesthetics are down to low body fat and proportionate muscles. If you train your entire body, you will look great. Unfortunately, many neglect certain muscles and have uncontrollable fat levels. It doesn't matter what your routine is - it can't fix a poor diet.

Sent from my HTC One

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.