Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How good is the nightlife in Sheffield? Is it cheap and how many clubs are there? Is it better than places like Cardiff, London, Leeds and Birmingham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oconnell95)
    How good is the nightlife in Sheffield? Is it cheap and how many clubs are there? Is it better than places like Cardiff, London, Leeds and Birmingham?
    Nightlife in Sheffield is really good I think-there are quite a few clubs and lots of bars. I can't say how it compares to other cities though I'm afraid.

West Street, which is right by uni, has a lot of bars eg Cavendish, Bloo 88, Tiger Works, Basement and SOYO. Bar crawls often happen around here before ending up at the union night.

Clubs tend to be more in the town centre. The clubs on Carver Street are always popular, with massive queues. Replica's good on a Saturday night-get yourself on the guest list for cheaper entry! Corp is popular on a Wednesday night because of the School Disco-£1 entry with tie and shirt. If you go to corp you have to have quad vods, but make sure you get them before midnight because the price nearly doubles afterwards. I'm also a big fan of plug which is always good on a Thursday night.

If you want cheap drinks, avoid the union-their drinks are always far too expensive I find

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    All you need is a Vodka Revolution, and Sheffield definitely has one. :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    Nightlife in Sheffield is really good I think-there are quite a few clubs and lots of bars. I can't say how it compares to other cities though I'm afraid.

West Street, which is right by uni, has a lot of bars eg Cavendish, Bloo 88, Tiger Works, Basement and SOYO. Bar crawls often happen around here before ending up at the union night.

Clubs tend to be more in the town centre. The clubs on Carver Street are always popular, with massive queues. Replica's good on a Saturday night-get yourself on the guest list for cheaper entry! Corp is popular on a Wednesday night because of the School Disco-£1 entry with tie and shirt. If you go to corp you have to have quad vods, but make sure you get them before midnight because the price nearly doubles afterwards. I'm also a big fan of plug which is always good on a Thursday night.

If you want cheap drinks, avoid the union-their drinks are always far too expensive I find

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nightlife is so important for me and what you said is promising because I want to go out to different clubs that are decent and cheap and not the same one all the time. Thanks so much any additional information would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Nightlife is so important for me and what you said is promising because I want to go out to different clubs that are decent and cheap and not the same one all the time. Thanks so much any additional information would be appreciated
    No worries

There's also Embrace, which is a club in town centre, right by the town hall. I've only been there once, but I really enjoyed it. They often have good deals (e.g. 99p drinks all night) so you'll want to check out their site for deals. When you move into halls you'll be bombarded with info regarding club nights, so you'll never be out of the loop.

Taxis are also really cheap as well! I lived in Endcliffe Village last year (I'm just about to start 2nd year) and a taxi to the town centre cost around £6, so if I got a taxi with my flatmates, it wouldn't cost us much more than £1 each, which is really good I think. On a Saturday night, I could easily manage on £10, although I'm not the biggest drinker, so you may need more money depending on your tolerance.

Are you starting this September or 2014? If you want any more info about the uni or Sheffield in general, just drop me a message

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    No worries

There's also Embrace, which is a club in town centre, right by the town hall. I've only been there once, but I really enjoyed it. They often have good deals (e.g. 99p drinks all night) so you'll want to check out their site for deals. When you move into halls you'll be bombarded with info regarding club nights, so you'll never be out of the loop.

Taxis are also really cheap as well! I lived in Endcliffe Village last year (I'm just about to start 2nd year) and a taxi to the town centre cost around £6, so if I got a taxi with my flatmates, it wouldn't cost us much more than £1 each, which is really good I think. On a Saturday night, I could easily manage on £10, although I'm not the biggest drinker, so you may need more money depending on your tolerance.

Are you starting this September or 2014? If you want any more info about the uni or Sheffield in general, just drop me a message
    Sounds proper sick!! How many clubs are there in Sheffield and what did you do for your freshers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sounds proper sick!! How many clubs are there in Sheffield and what did you do for your freshers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There are loads of clubs in Sheffield-here's a link http://www.sheffieldnights.com/clubs/ There are also all the bars on West Street which I mentioned earlier, many of which serve food during the day. For example, Bloo 88 doubles up as a pizzeria and always has good deals on them as well Cavendish is also a popular spot for food as well-they do really nice dishes like chicken dippers, pasta, scampi and chips, comfort food I'd call it That site has loads of listings for places to eat and go out in Sheffield.

For freshers, I went to quite a few of the union nights with my flatmates. Everything was quite busy then because everyone was really excited about moving in, but as first term goes on, people tend to head further afield for clubbing.

ReputationRep:
    The Sheffield nightlife is brilliant and, from experience, is better than Birmingham.

As previously mentioned, taxis from Endcliffe and Ranmoor are really cheap and provide easy access to a huge range of bars and clubs.

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield nightlife is SO much better than Birmingham, I'm not sure about the rest although Leeds is probably better - I've been out twice there.
    I find that the clubs are really student orientated, I could probably name somewhere different every night where I could possibly go out - and it's really cheap, also taxis aren't expensive at all. If you want somewhere really cheap then Corp on a Wednesday is probably the cheapest, you'll find more and more people going on a Wednesday as they find out how ridiculous the drinks are (before midnight). NEVER PRE DRINK BEFORE CORP! Although I went so much I am now a bit bored of it...
    The Union is good for a night out but I've only ever experienced it in the Octagon rather than in the actual union, which is apparently really good. The drinks are expensive - nothing that predrinking and having a hipflask cannot solve and it's good because you see loads of people you know there. DQ on a Monday is really good, I can't remember drinks prices because I'm always too drink - I think they are cheap otherwise I would be able to remember them haha! Thursday at Plug is good, I find they play probably the best range of music. Thursday, Carver Street (don't be pulled in at Freshers to keep going there i.e places called Crystal and Viper Rooms because they're not that great).
    The biggest club Embrace, I've been twice and I'm sure it's expensive and I don't really intend to go again.

Generally all the clubs have similar drinks prices if it's a massive student event, there's one off freshers events you'll constantly be invited to e.g '£1 PARTY!' and it's not that cheap. You'll eventually find where are the good places with the kinda music you like, but I find there's so much variety especially compared to where I'm from (Birmingham) which all seem to be fancy expensive bars.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.