The Student Room Group

I'm pretty scared about my future (University)

So, this year I sat my Higher exams, and I did pretty well, I got all of the A's that I wanted and needed, although I did terrible in maths.

I'm extremely worried about applying for university courses, as almost all of them have Maths listed as a requirement, which I failed. I want to do Product Design, but I'm not sure if I will even be considered for a place as I don't even come close to hitting the minimum requirement in maths. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this, I already meet the minimum requirements in terms of qualifications (and I'm hoping to expand them even more this year) but I fear that I wont be able to do any of the courses that I want due to not having maths.

What I'm pretty much asking is, do you think that a University would be able to overlook my lack of mathematical skills in return for getting well over the minimum requirements and having a very good portfolio (for Product design, which is required)

I'm sorry if this is not in the correct section, if not a moderator can remove it
Reply 1
The only thing you can do is ring them. What did you do exactly, course wise? A levels? AS levels? If mathematics is a major requirement of the course and the career options in general you may need it but it's always worth ringing up about things like this - it's a case by case basis usually and universities can overlook things if you have good enough prospects/a good, solid personal statement and reference.

What year do you want to go to university? This year or next?
Reply 2
Original post by spockbrows
The only thing you can do is ring them. What did you do exactly, course wise? A levels? AS levels? If mathematics is a major requirement of the course and the career options in general you may need it but it's always worth ringing up about things like this - it's a case by case basis usually and universities can overlook things if you have good enough prospects/a good, solid personal statement and reference.

What year do you want to go to university? This year or next?

I'm hoping to go next year, I still have this year to get more A's, this year I did my Highers, Scottish exams and got AAAC, which pretty much meets the minimum requirements for first year entry, so I have this year to hopefully get AAAB, making it overall AAAAAAB, which I would think would be enough to overshadow the fail in maths. I also have all of the recommened subjects for the course (Art, Graphics, Product) in higher but the only REQUIRED subject is Maths, which I don't have
(edited 10 years ago)
If maths is a required higher, then it is very unlikely you will get in without it. Did you actually fail it, or were you given a lower grade? Could you ask your school/college if you could retake maths higher this year?
Reply 4
Product Design can be a BA or BSc degree. BSc (Science) degrees may ask for Maths, and for good reasons - to generate dimensioned drawings, do costings in spreadsheets, minimise material usage, ... problem solving. Perhaps think of Dyson and JCB. Are these what you enjoy? BA (Arts) degrees may explore desirability and useability first, and then add feasibility and viability, ... visionary. Perhaps think of Thomas Heatherwick and Philippe Starck. Which are you? If you are a BSc, then consider re-taking maths or join a foundation course. If you are a BA, then you can go to Clearing if you have at least 220 UCAS points. Even if you want a year out, you can still get an offer now. That may stop you getting worried about your future. Hope this helps.
Original post by Bersht
So, this year I sat my Higher exams, and I did pretty well, I got all of the A's that I wanted and needed, although I did terrible in maths.

I'm extremely worried about applying for university courses, as almost all of them have Maths listed as a requirement, which I failed. I want to do Product Design, but I'm not sure if I will even be considered for a place as I don't even come close to hitting the minimum requirement in maths. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this, I already meet the minimum requirements in terms of qualifications (and I'm hoping to expand them even more this year) but I fear that I wont be able to do any of the courses that I want due to not having maths.

What I'm pretty much asking is, do you think that a University would be able to overlook my lack of mathematical skills in return for getting well over the minimum requirements and having a very good portfolio (for Product design, which is required)

I'm sorry if this is not in the correct section, if not a moderator can remove it

I'm going into second year product design BSc

as others have said there is BA and BSc.. BA is much less science based so perhaps you may be better suited to it as the way that you are taught varies from BA to BSc..

i think you need to explore these options more and decide what you would prefer.. i only have as maths and im doing bsc, but i do have physics alevel

if you have any specific questions feel free to quote/pm me
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Well I talked to my guidance teacher and she suggested that I go and do a college HND course in Product Design first. But I don't know if a HND would get me into Product Design Engineering or just Product Design Innovation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending