Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Any freelance web developers out there? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

If there are any freelance web developers out there I'd love to here your stories of how you started out? How did you get your first client? Did you get a degree? Did you freelance straight away or did you get a job with a web development company first? Also, what advice would you give someone looking to start freelancing in web development?

I'll read every single post and I don't care how long they are I'll read them

Thanks!

Target small local businesses who do not have a web prescence and build your portfolio
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Most web developers I know started just 'offering help' to their school or smaller business' then once they got confident in their practice were able to then charge for their time and they grow from there. Some joined a company. My uncle is a web developer and he doesn't have a degree but works for Samsung.

There is not set formula for being a successful web developer. Sometimes it just sort of happens. On a scale of 1 to 10, how good would you say you were and how confident are you in your ability. If you're wanting to go freelance from the off, have you looked into PAYE and tax self assessment? Have you looked into setting up as a sole trader or limited company?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattheatre)
    On a scale of 1 to 10, how good would you say you were and how confident are you in your ability. If you're wanting to go freelance from the off, have you looked into PAYE and tax self assessment? Have you looked into setting up as a sole trader or limited company?
    2/10

I want to work in a company first and then go freelance later. The thing is, I want to build up a portfolio but don't know what projects to do. I dabbled a bit but the small things I done are only on my localhost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by commandant)
    Target small local businesses who do not have a web prescence and build your portfolio
    thanks for this
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Prokaryotic_crap)
    2/10

I want to work in a company first and then go freelance later. The thing is, I want to build up a portfolio but don't know what projects to do. I dabbled a bit but the small things I done are only on my localhost.
    Build your own website to the best of your ability and add your skill list there. Then if you are wanting to work for a company, the best thing to do currently is to either get yourself set on a course or get an apprenticeship as you'll be learning skills as well as having a bit for your pocket working on projects and being able to build your portfolio with a decent company name next to them too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prokaryotic_crap)
    Hi,

If there are any freelance web developers out there I'd love to here your stories of how you started out? How did you get your first client? Did you get a degree? Did you freelance straight away or did you get a job with a web development company first? Also, what advice would you give someone looking to start freelancing in web development?

I'll read every single post and I don't care how long they are I'll read them

Thanks!
    Right, where to begin....

I started doing freelance web development back in 2008, I believe. I had been making websites for a few years before that, and ended up registering on StudentGems.com as a web developer.
    I got my first website project with a personal trainer from Doncaster, and made her a pretty average website for the grand total of £80. At the time it seemed like a good price, but when I actually started experiencing client-developer relationships (i.e. constant contact, regular changes, differing opinions etc), I realised that I had screwed myself over.
    However, I got through it and finished her website even though it wasn't great, (but to be fair it was to her specifications).

Things that I learnt from that experience:

1 - The customer isn't always right, and you need to fight your corner and convince them to accept your idea, if you truly think it's necessary. Fight as much as you can, but not so much that you insult them. If they are stubborn, then you'll just have to accept that and make do with that you've been given to work with. I was inexperienced at the time, so didn't feel comfortable, nor did I have the expertise, to fight my corner.
    Nowadays though, I fight my corner and usually win, because myself and the developers in my company have a good amount of experience, and I can use that to my advantage.

2 - Sometimes it's worth taking a low-cost website project if there is the opportunity to get the client on as a retainer client. For my company, this means I host their emails and website, and give them 1 or 2 hours per month of free maintenance where I'll make some changes, like a new page or some style modifications.

I did that personal trainer website in 2011, and have been charging her £15 a month ever since, which has helped to pay for part of my company's monthly Office365 subscription. Short term pain, for long term gain.

---
    I'm actually working on something else at the moment and need to get back to it, so I'll write another reply either today or tomorrow about how I progressed from that first website, to where I am now with a fully-functional company with employees and even some side projects, all whilst still at University

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattheatre)
    Most web developers I know started just 'offering help' to their school or smaller business' then once they got confident in their practice were able to then charge for their time and they grow from there. Some joined a company. My uncle is a web developer and he doesn't have a degree but works for Samsung.

There is not set formula for being a successful web developer. Sometimes it just sort of happens. On a scale of 1 to 10, how good would you say you were and how confident are you in your ability. If you're wanting to go freelance from the off, have you looked into PAYE and tax self assessment? Have you looked into setting up as a sole trader or limited company?
    Props to him. I wonder if that's possible these days.

ReputationRep:
    How good would u have to be to charge? Anyone have any examples of the first pieces of work they charged for?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.