Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone feel like they can speak more clearly after drinking coke? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Usually, I feel like my tongue is a little dry and I have trouble saying some words and when saying some sentences, I feel like I'm doing a little tongue twister . It's minor but I can notice it nevertheless. But after drinking coke or pepsi, I feel like my tongue can say stuff much more fluidly and I can speak so clearly! :tong:

Water doesn't have the same effect. It's only pepsi or coke.

Does anyone else experience this? I wanna know the science behind it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryl)
    Usually, I feel like my tongue is a little dry and I have trouble saying some words and when saying some sentences, I feel like I'm doing a little tongue twister . It's minor but I can notice it nevertheless. But after drinking coke or pepsi, I feel like my tongue can say stuff much more fluidly and I can speak so clearly! :tong:

Water doesn't have the same effect. It's only pepsi or coke.

Does anyone else experience this? I wanna know the science behind it

ahh.. no :cookie:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Definitely a unique case.

ReputationRep:
    Don't drink cola, it's bad for your teeth. Drink water instead.

ReputationRep:
    Great. I'm more of a weirdo than I thought.

ReputationRep:
    Is it something about the aciditiy cutting any coating of mucus on your tongue and tonsils affecting your diction?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Wolf Taima)
    Is it something about the aciditiy cutting any coating of mucus on your tongue and tonsils affecting your diction?
    Ooooooooooo. That's interesting. Visibly, my tongue doesn't seem that bad; hmm maybe tonsils idk.

ReputationRep:
    no not really

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I literally just went and scraped my tongue no difference. But I have a theory: it maybe because I speak louder when I drink coke or pepsi due to the caffeine. When I speak louder, I speak more clearly (even without pepsi). But when I'm not on caffeine, I don't speak as loud. So I tend to mumble, possibly.

ReputationRep:
    Please take my advice OP.

ReputationRep:
    It has nothing to do with the acidity of the pepsi/cola but rather the presence of Caffeine, a stimulant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nelly Yuki)
    It has nothing to do with the acidity of the pepsi/cola but rather the presence of Caffeine, a stimulant.
    Hmm. I will definitely observe the effects of coffee and compare them to the effects of Pepsi/cola to test whether it is indeed caffeine.

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely the caffeine lol.

If I drink just sparkling water or lemonade I can speak clearer, because I have very narrow airways (my mother needed surgery to open her palate and sinuses up, that's how bad) and my tonsils and throat often stick together when i talk or sing and can make me choke for like half a second >_>

ReputationRep:
    Coke is bad for you, OP, wake up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfie Moon)
    Coke is bad for you, OP, wake up!
    Lots of things are bad for you - including worrying too much about other people's business

ReputationRep:
    Not coke but it's a joke in my family that I must be the only person in the world who gets more coherent with alcohol (well to a point )

I guess it's the opposite, I talk too fast and trip over words left right and centre, but alcohol makes it easier to speak slower (without counting slow) and have the words come out in the right order.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chihiro94)
    Not coke but it's a joke in my family that I must be the only person in the world who gets more coherent with alcohol (well to a point )

I guess it's the opposite, I talk too fast and trip over words left right and centre, but alcohol makes it easier to speak slower (without counting slow) and have the words come out in the right order.
    Yes! I talk too fast too! Hmm, maybe caffeine makes it easier for me to speak slowly... but it should do the opposite. Hmm idk.

ReputationRep:
    I like how the OP just ignores me. Probably he/she think it's fine to drink cola.

Well OP, enjoy your teeth in a few time, is all I can say.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.