Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I show I'm different? Watch

ReputationRep:
    How I show people I'm different? I live in a poor area, and there is a high percentage of chavs living there. Too many average people in one place, tbh. Because I really am so different to other teenagers. How can I show people that I'm different to other teenagers my age, and show my amazing abilities? I guess I could tell them my a level results, but there has to be more than this, anyone got any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Who are you showing these "amazing abilities" to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sufferin succotash)
    Who are you showing these "amazing abilities" too?
    No one, because I have to act like them to fit in with the 'average people', so I don't get beat up or stabbed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfie Moon)
    No one, because I have to act like them to fit in with the 'average people', so I don't get beat up or stabbed.
    Why do you want to show them then? If you do, then who to? anyone specific? Or just the people you hang around with? You think they would stab you for having A-levels?

ReputationRep:
    Wear your underpants over your trousers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nelly Yuki)
    Wear your underpants over your trousers.
    Agreed, it takes a special kind of abilities to perform this. And particular skill set not to get stabbed while doing it.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you want to show them then? If you do, then who to? anyone specific? Or just the people you hang around with? You think they would stab you for having A-levels?
    I didn't say they would if I had A levels.

I don't want to show them, I want to show people in general that I'm different to other teenagers, by using my remarkable talents and personality. I'm asking how I should show them off.

ReputationRep:

really, OP?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say they would if I had A levels.

I don't want to show them, I want to show people in general that I'm different to other teenagers, by using my remarkable talents and personality. I'm asking how I should show them off.
    Other people who? What randomers on the street? LOOK I HAVE A-LEVELS . whut?

Do you want a job?
    University?
    MAKE A CV?
    troll, or just dumb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ddaappoo)

really, OP?
    *sighs*

What's the matter? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Other people who? What randomers on the street? LOOK I HAVE A-LEVELS . whut?

Do you want a job?
    University?
    MAKE A CV?
    troll, or just dumb.
    As with most people, you can't read my post properly and miss my points and questions completely, then ramble on about something completely different. Ignore list for you, I think. No offence and all that.

ReputationRep:
    How I show people I'm different? I live in a poor area, and there is a high percentage of chavs living there. Too many average people in one place, tbh. Because I really am so different to other teenagers. How can I show people that I'm different to other teenagers my age, and show my amazing abilities? I guess I could tell them my a level results, but there has to be more than this, anyone got any ideas?
    It is sad that people in some affluent areas, older people (if you are of color) white people, or even worse- older, affluent white people will have negative preconceptions of you.

I cant tell you how many people I've astonished by doing simple things like holding the door open in a shop, remembering my Ps and Qs and even reading the paper. The look on some people's faces 'Kids... read these days?!'

It can be annoying, and sad but funny at times when you just know people are surprised that you didn't start talking to them like a rudeboy or try to take their handbag. I grew up in Brixton/Stockwell and where I live now, in Clapham, I have to deal with people's preconceptions. Not to mention my boyfriend's family are upper class whites in rural Somerset where there are no black people and most are very well-to-do. They're watching to see if I'm going to steal something if I go into Waitrose. Even my neighbor had a dinner party in the yard and one of her friends saw me smoking out of my window and was like 'She one of those druggies? Asbo kids?' and my neighbor had to sharply explain to him that I was actually very well spoken and play the piano etc. They don't expect much of you, but just be yourself, study hard and you'll win them over x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Wolf Taima)
    It is sad that people in some affluent areas, older people (if you are of color) white people, or even worse- older, affluent white people will have negative preconceptions of you.

I cant tell you how many people I've astonished by doing simple things like holding the door open in a shop, remembering my Ps and Qs and even reading the paper. The look on some people's faces 'Kids... read these days?!'

It can be annoying, and sad but funny at times when you just know people are surprised that you didn't start talking to them like a rudeboy or try to take their handbag. I grew up in Brixton/Stockwell and where I live now, in Clapham, I have to deal with people's preconceptions. Not to mention my boyfriend's family are upper class whites in rural Somerset where there are no black people and most are very well-to-do. They're watching to see if I'm going to steal something if I go into Waitrose. Even my neighbor had a dinner party in the yard and one of her friends saw me smoking out of my window and was like 'She one of those druggies? Asbo kids?' and my neighbor had to sharply explain to him that I was actually very well spoken and play the piano etc. They don't expect much of you, but just be yourself, study hard and you'll win them over x
    Also, if I dress perhaps, nerdy, maybe that would help as well?

I'd hate people to have these preconceptions of me.

ReputationRep:
    DO NOT EVER DRESS A CERTAIN WAY TO APPEAL TO ANY DEMOGRAPHIC OF PEOPLE

I'd lose all respect for you lol.

Dress how you want to.

Actually I think it makes more of an impact when I am dressed more punk/goth or in a hoodies and show that I'm a reasonably mannered, civil person than if I were dressed 'nerdy' or formally. Otherwise stereotypes just prevail if you play o them. Only kids wearing a dress shirt and big glasses are academic.

That being said, when I wear Lolita, old people and church people are suddenly all over me...

ReputationRep:
    People are always going to have preconceptions of you because you are a teenager, and the way teenagers are portrayed isn't very good. Sometimes you just have to use manners and smile at people when you walk past them in the street. and then maybe they won't think that you are some hoody trying to stab them (like some older people seem to think).
    Just know you're different, be yourself and you'll be fine. Hope this helps somewhat.

ReputationRep:

I'd lose all respect for you lol.

Dress how you want to.

Actually I think it makes more of an impact when I am dressed more punk/goth or in a hoodies and show that I'm a reasonably mannered, civil person than if I were dressed 'nerdy' or formally. Otherwise stereotypes just prevail if you play o them. Only kids wearing a dress shirt and big glasses are academic.

That being said, when I wear Lolita, old people and church people are suddenly all over me...
    That all said, people need to know that I'm different to other teens

Dressing like a nerd is the best way to convey this, as this whole issue bugs me like hell for some reason.

I can't be seen as a chav, eurgh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yazgilbert)
    People are always going to have preconceptions of you because you are a teenager, and the way teenagers are portrayed isn't very good. Sometimes you just have to use manners and smile at people when you walk past them in the street. and then maybe they won't think that you are some hoody trying to stab them (like some older people seem to think).
    Just know you're different, be yourself and you'll be fine. Hope this helps somewhat.
    Do you think dressing as a nerd would help though? Adults would see me and think:

That teenager is different. He looks intelligent.

I am kind of a nerd anyway, so I'm sure nerds won't get offended I want to dress like them.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think dressing as a nerd would help though? Adults would see me and think:

That teenager is different. He looks intelligent.

I am kind of a nerd anyway, so I'm sure nerds won't get offended I want to dress like them.
    no i think you should dress how you want to dress and then they will see that the way you dress doesn't define how you act etc.

ReputationRep:
    Nerds don't have any one particular way of dressing.

I am one of the nerdiest girls you'll ever find but I wear all kids of crazy things.

Just wear things you like and are valuable aesthetically to you.

If you try to 'dress like a nerd' you'll probably end up looking like a hipster or something, then everyone will hate you

loljk

Or again, you will be perpetuating stereotypes. It's not as satisfying knowing that eg. X person wouldn't have respected you if you didn't approach them wearing a shirt, tie and glasses, but they are quite happy talking to you now.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    I thought that was what clothes were for, tbh.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.