The Student Room Group

This Is Disappointing.

Scroll to see replies

I'm a future French and German uni student and yes, I find it worrying. (One of seven in a level French and one of two in a level German).
It was so weird going to university open days and seeing quite a few people at the talks- I was literally like "OMG! Linguists!"

There is one heartening thing though: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23783094 (look at the picture that says GCSEs in numbers- basically there has been an increase in people doing languages, including 25% in Spanish, probably down to the Ebacc thing)
Whenever I tell someone that I want to study French and Russian the first thing the ask is "oh really what kind of job do you want then?", which i find really frustrating because I have to explain to them that languages are great in business and I also like the idea of translation blah blah blah... People just don't realise how much a language can be worth -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile
In my standard grade French class (1 of 2 classes) there was 27 people and in my higher french class there is 23 people. The school also offers Spanish and German which have pretty similar numbers. The 3 people who did advanced higher french last year got A A B. I think it really depends in your school. I go to a normal state school but languages are quite a popular choice as the teachers are really good :smile:
Original post by beau-malheur
Whenever I tell someone that I want to study French and Russian the first thing the ask is "oh really what kind of job do you want then?", which i find really frustrating because I have to explain to them that languages are great in business and I also like the idea of translation blah blah blah... People just don't realise how much a language can be worth -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think part of my problem is that I'm not 100% sure what I want to do. On top of that, I want to learn Latin too, which I know most people consider pretty pointless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ginger_comedian
It was so weird going to university open days and seeing quite a few people at the talks- I was literally like "OMG! Linguists!"

Haha! I can definitely agree with this. Today, after 2 years of attending my college I met another person who studies languages and wants to study them at university. I was shocked to come across a fellow linguist, and she was too! :eek:

Quick Reply