The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Robbie242
My school has an absolute bull**** hierarchy complex.

I said in most schools students are allowed to choose their Maths modules and they said ''you heard wrong''. Then she said you do what we want not what you want, because we're teachers. :lol: I bet I could teach better than these ****ty school teachers if I had as much training as them. At least my FM teacher is nicer but for maths I got told off for discussing with my friends how I was disappointed with my S1 result when it came up in conversation. Then apparently I'm being a dick and lack social etiquette.

People have different aims, not everyone wants to get a C like my **** school thinks. A B is a failure to me. Does that make me a dick?.

Can't wait to leave this dump

Totally agree with the different aims thing. There are people in my college who absolutely hate students who are unhappy with Bs. Some need As for their university courses; everyone has their own personal aim. Plus, whilst I would have been over the moon with a B in chemistry, a B in something like history would have really upset me because it's something I'm passionate about. People are just ignorant :rolleyes:

One more year and you can escape the place!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucy96
Totally agree with the different aims thing. There are people in my college who absolutely hate students who are unhappy with Bs. Some need As for their university courses; everyone has their own personal aim. Plus, whilst I would have been over the moon with a B in chemistry, a B in something like history would have really upset me because it's something I'm passionate about. People are just ignorant :rolleyes:

One more year and you can escape the place!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly - they also won't remark Bs they will only remark Ds, Es and Us in my maths dept :rolleyes.

This is my exact point, one of the teachers also gave the worst advice to my friend ever... He was wondering whether to drop Chemistry (he got an A but wanted to focus more on Maths) but the teacher said that it was ''a stupid reason'' to drop chemistry to focus on the STEP papers for mathematics. Why would a 4th A2 be more important than an actual exam for university admissions?
I feel they know nothing about what universities want. It's no surprise that we only send about 7 students out of about 250? to Russell group universities. The schools aim low attitude is disgusting.

And same I was expecting a B in History but got an A, I would be devastated with a B in Maths or Fmaths. The problem is that most of my fellow students have no real goals and still have the GCSE mentality so my school just assumes all of the time.

Yeah just one more year but I've had to put up with 6years of crap already... its near breaking point now.

Do you also have teachers who are reluctant to do anything? I ask them to do something, they usually forget, I ask again and then they give an answer of ''maybe''...
Exactly - they also won't remark Bs they will only remark Ds, Es and Us in my maths dept :rolleyes.

This is my exact point, one of the teachers also gave the worst advice to my friend ever... He was wondering whether to drop Chemistry (he got an A but wanted to focus more on Maths) but the teacher said that it was ''a stupid reason'' to drop chemistry to focus on the STEP papers for mathematics. Why would a 4th A2 be more important than an actual exam for university admissions?
I feel they know nothing about what universities want. It's no surprise that we only send about 7 students out of about 250? to Russell group universities. The schools aim low attitude is disgusting.

And same I was expecting a B in History but got an A, I would be devastated with a B in Maths or Fmaths. The problem is that most of my fellow students have no real goals and still have the GCSE mentality so my school just assumes all of the time.

Yeah just one more year but I've had to put up with 6years of crap already... its near breaking point now.

Do you also have teachers who are reluctant to do anything? I ask them to do something, they usually forget, I ask again and then they give an answer of ''maybe''...

Oh how ridiculous! For people like you who want to apply for Cambridge, a remark for a B could be very advantageous!

And what the heck :facepalm: I swear some teachers have no idea what they're doing, how chemistry is more important than an admissions test, I don't know. I don't see what's wrong with allowing students to aim high and do what they feel is best, after all, it's OUR life.

Precisely, it's a subject very important to you for obvious reasons. I know what you mean, a lot of people in my sixth form are like that and there are only a few who aim high. Don't understand why a teacher would want to discourage that :confused:

Aww well it'll be worth it in the end, I promise. Just keep up the good work and you can leave with your head held high :smile:

Ah how ridiculous :/ But yeah, as I've mentioned on here before, my english teacher refused to even look at my coursework because it was a few words over the limit, she would leave the room every lesson for no reason, she spent about half of the year on The Great,Gatsby (a TINY novel), and then moaned at us for having no idea about the poems because we ran out of time to be taught them in class. Both of my english teachers were horrible to me at the start of last year, I made a silly spelling mistake in an essay and they were laughing at me in such a patronising way. No matter how much I asked for help, she refused and then complained if I hadn't done my work :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lilGem
I did, and I'll leave it as not great :redface:

Oh Ok fair enough !:tongue:

What are your A2s then?

My whole maths department :mad:
Original post by Lucy96
Oh how ridiculous! For people like you who want to apply for Cambridge, a remark for a B could be very advantageous!

And what the heck :facepalm: I swear some teachers have no idea what they're doing, how chemistry is more important than an admissions test, I don't know. I don't see what's wrong with allowing students to aim high and do what they feel is best, after all, it's OUR life.

Precisely, it's a subject very important to you for obvious reasons. I know what you mean, a lot of people in my sixth form are like that and there are only a few who aim high. Don't understand why a teacher would want to discourage that :confused:

Aww well it'll be worth it in the end, I promise. Just keep up the good work and you can leave with your head held high :smile:

Ah how ridiculous :/ But yeah, as I've mentioned on here before, my english teacher refused to even look at my coursework because it was a few words over the limit, she would leave the room every lesson for no reason, she spent about half of the year on The Great,Gatsby (a TINY novel), and then moaned at us for having no idea about the poems because we ran out of time to be taught them in class. Both of my english teachers were horrible to me at the start of last year, I made a silly spelling mistake in an essay and they were laughing at me in such a patronising way. No matter how much I asked for help, she refused and then complained if I hadn't done my work :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly they just outright rejected my request (it was so close to an A as well, 79/100 )

Precisely, my school tried to pressure me to continue history despite hating it :rolleyes:. They really have no idea what their students want, all teachers have a stupid bias.

Yeah I might stick up two fingers if I really hate someone but we'll see. All I know that if I get into uni it will be down to me and my econ teacher, not my useless maths teachers.

-.- reminds me of my GCSE English teachers all too well. Sounds just like my history class :rolleyes:. That is awful - I had the same at my school, a teacher talking behind my back saying at max I'll get a D/C in A-level Maths and Further Maths will be E/U why do they have no faith?

Most teachers are massive hypocrites... I've learnt not to listen to teachers simply because their teachers but rather when they have something useful to say I'll listen
Exactly they just outright rejected my request (it was so close to an A as well, 79/100 )

Sorry, im confused. Why would your school reject your request? Surely there should be a reason. Everyone should have the right for a remark!:confused:
How will accepting your request for a remark harm them?
Original post by TheKingOfTSR
Sorry, im confused. Why would your school reject your request? Surely there should be a reason. Everyone should have the right for a remark!:confused:
How will accepting your request for a remark harm them?

They just said no, they didn't give a reason. they said they will only do it for borderline students. A girl I know was even rejected an S1 remark despite being 1ums of the A overall for Maths AS :confused:

My school is just retarded, I assume its their budget...
Original post by GaloisCircles
My whole maths department :mad:

That makes two of us then, my econ teacher is actually really nice but my Maths & FM teachers aren't. They restrict me so much its unbelievable, I mention doing AFM this year and then they just say maybe, why not just say yes so we can get the inevitable over and done with? :confused:

Is that it?! :eek:
Reply 2830
Original post by GaloisCircles
Oh Ok fair enough !:tongue:

What are your A2s then?

history, economics, human biology, general studies and including the ones I took early Japanese and Hebrew :colondollar:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Is that it?! :eek:

You've got a more enjoyable experience?:tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
They just said no, they didn't give a reason. they said they will only do it for borderline students. A girl I know was even rejected an S1 remark despite being 1ums of the A overall for Maths AS :confused:

My school is just retarded, I assume its their budget...

:eek:
Your school really makes me sick ...

How can They ever play around with their students lives for the sake of their budget...? :confused: That girl :frown: your school is really awful!

So your school pays for the remarking? If that's preventing them from accepting your remark request then couldn't you pay for it? Why allow them to ruin your grades.!

If you pay for the remark, it should not matter whether it's a B, C, D or U, should it?
Original post by purplemind
If you pay for the remark, it should not matter whether it's a B, C, D or U, should it?

True - but I really think the school should pay, how would this be fair if I was less financially stable than I am now?

I am going to pursue these 4 upcoming potential issues

1. Remark for S1

2. Confirmation of being entered for AFM AS

3. Getting the proper predicted grades which should be A*A*A

4. Getting a proper reference based on the unis I'm applying too with all of the important information included to contextualise my UMS.

I have a feeling my FM teacher will act sneakily and predict me an A rather than an A* when in fact in my FM modules (S2 - 90 FP1 - 96 M1 - 92) were all self-taught and all above or on 90 but my S1 was allocated to FM instead
True - but I really think the school should pay, how would this be fair if I was less financially stable than I am now?

I am going to pursue these 4 upcoming potential issues

1. Remark for S1

2. Confirmation of being entered for AFM AS

3. Getting the proper predicted grades which should be A*A*A

4. Getting a proper reference based on the unis I'm applying too with all of the important information included to contextualise my UMS.

I have a feeling my FM teacher will act sneakily and predict me an A rather than an A* when in fact in my FM modules (S2 - 90 FP1 - 96 M1 - 92) were all self-taught and all above or on 90 but my S1 was allocated to FM instead

I don't know. I know nothing about state schools in the UK as it is just my second year here. :smile:
Do you have something like Head of Sixth Form in your school? They could be a kind of medium between you and teachers.
I think they allocated S1 to FM because what they do first, is to make your Maths score as high as possible, then FM. But well, predictions should be made by looking on your modules as a whole, one may have a worse day and get a worse result than expected but that shouldn't ruin everything, I believe.

I agree so much with this statement, to be honest the idea of a remark is crazy. These exams that we sit and devote a lot of our teenage life to can determine your future. The idea that an exam may not have been marked correctly is completely stupid, a hard working student somewhere is not getting the grade or UMS he/she deserves.

That opens the door to private schools and more financially stable state schools to throw remarks around for the sake of it. Even my teacher said some private schools get most essay based subjects remarked since there is a good chance they can improve their grade/mark. Whereas everyone else either has to pay for it, which just touches upon the idea if you cannot afford a remark, or just has to suck it up that they may have not been marked correctly.

I hope you try to get this, by the looks of it your school isn't that great if they have no desire to allow high achievers. It really puts my own school in perspective. I thought my school is below average but at least we get about 70 going to Russell group out of 150.
Original post by purplemind
I don't know. I know nothing about state schools in the UK as it is just my second year here. :smile:
Do you have something like Head of Sixth Form in your school? They could be a kind of medium between you and teachers.
I think they allocated S1 to FM because what they do first, is to make your Maths score as high as possible, then FM. But well, predictions should be made by looking on your modules as a whole, one may have a worse day and get a worse result than expected but that shouldn't ruin everything, I believe.

Ah fair enough. Yeah I do and I've being to him before but not much has changed at all. and yeah they did, I was 5 ums of a 90 average in FM, with a remark in S1 I could get closer at least and have a streak of As in all my maths modules. Again I agree but 79 is quite a low score for a Cambridge applicant so I don't know but as 80 it just looks much nicer than 79 (plus all my other unis can see straight As in modules)

I bombed my S1 exam but I didn't bomb it by 15 marks, I thought by 13 marks so their is a potential to get an A
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by NedStark
I agree so much with this statement, to be honest the idea of a remark is crazy. These exams that we sit and devote a lot of our teenage life to can determine your future. The idea that an exam may not have been marked correctly is completely stupid, a hard working student somewhere is not getting the grade or UMS he/she deserves.

That opens the door to private schools and more financially stable state schools to throw remarks around for the sake of it. Even my teacher said some private schools get most essay based subjects remarked since there is a good chance they can improve their grade/mark. Whereas everyone else either has to pay for it, which just touches upon the idea if you cannot afford a remark, or just has to suck it up that they may have not been marked correctly.

I hope you try to get this, by the looks of it your school isn't that great if they have no desire to allow high achievers. It really puts my own school in perspective. I thought my school is below average but at least we get about 70 going to Russell group out of 150.

Not sure if that was worded correctly but I agree overall!

Exactly, its certainly unfair on lower income backgrounds - the school needs to devote as much money as possible to remarks but only if they are worthwhile and I think my 79 is worthwhile. I had to pay for my history remark in January, I'm not doing that again (it was unsuccessful but at least I tried)

It's true - although we have successful oxbridge applicants every year, we have 1 or at max 2, and even then these students themselves have admitted they had to do a lot by themselves with a lack of core support from the school. Wow haha, nah my school is really...really bad
Original post by TheKingOfTSR
You've got a more enjoyable experience?:tongue:

What?:tongue:

Latest