The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pandora.
Aaargh still only 3 unis picked. I feel like I should be a bit less risky on my last two, but I wouldn't have a clue where to go for. :s-smilie:

Really? That's a pretty cool thought. I'm glad I haven't come to a complete standstill educationally :lol:

:lol: Sometimes I feel like I live in a house full of pigs :rolleyes:

Yep! It's quite nice, like I didn't understand something last year, and now I :facepalm: at the thought :tongue:
AS to A2 jump is so much worse than the GCSE to AS jump :frown:

Am I the only one who thinks this?
Original post by mynameisntbobk

I agree for biology, there's so much more to learn and the depth you go into is quite extensive! I think the jump is a lot greater for sciences because the content can develop a lot more, whereas with essay subjects it's just different content; my other two are pretty much the same as AS in terms of difficulty! Feel sorry for you :frown:

The only thing more difficult with english literature is that it's a closed book exam haha :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Economics is killing me at the moment. Maths is perfectly fine

Definitely agree, especially with uni applications as well :s-smilie:
Original post by Pandora.
Aaargh still only 3 unis picked. I feel like I should be a bit less risky on my last two, but I wouldn't have a clue where to go for. :s-smilie:

Where have you applied so far?
Original post by Lucy96
I agree for biology, there's so much more to learn and the depth you go into is quite extensive! I think the jump is a lot greater for sciences because the content can develop a lot more, whereas with essay subjects it's just different content; my other two are pretty much the same as AS in terms of difficulty! Feel sorry for you :frown:

The only thing more difficult with english literature is that it's a closed book exam haha :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Biology isn't too bad compared to my other 3. Its easily become my favourite subject this year, and even though its harder, the content is more enjoyable. They do closed book exams?? :eek: oh my, so you literally need to remember quotes as well? I actually would have assumed essay subjects will be more strained because they'd expect more and deeper (?) analysis
Original post by Robbie242
Economics is killing me at the moment. Maths is perfectly fine

Maths is the worst jump. C3 is so difficult so I can't even imagine what C4s like. How difficult is econ? I always wonder this, but I imagine it must be if my friend who got 193/200 at AS is complaining this year.
Original post by smile:D
Definitely agree, especially with uni applications as well :s-smilie:

It doesn't get easier once applications are sent off. If anything, they just add on to the stress
Biology isn't too bad compared to my other 3. Its easily become my favourite subject this year, and even though its harder, the content is more enjoyable. They do closed book exams?? :eek: oh my, so you literally need to remember quotes as well? I actually would have assumed essay subjects will be more strained because they'd expect more and deeper (?) analysis

Maths is the worst jump. C3 is so difficult so I can't even imagine what C4s like. How difficult is econ? I always wonder this, but I imagine it must be if my friend who got 193/200 at AS is complaining this year.

It doesn't get easier once applications are sent off. If anything, they just add on to the stress

I know! I'm sure waiting is the worst bit, and pretty much all the unis I've applied to will take a while so....

Lots of people in my Maths class are struggling with C3 tbh. I think the reason I'm not is because I do all this extra maths and I sat further maths, which helps bridge AS to A2 more. Like the difficulty of the concepts has shot up, its no longer as simple as it once was, there's loads more definitions and loads more evaluation to be learnt. It doesn't help that I prefer maths much more because sometimes I end up neglecting Economics :<
Original post by smile:D
I know! I'm sure waiting is the worst bit, and pretty much all the unis I've applied to will take a while so....

Where did you apply to if you don't mind me asking? And for what?

Yeah I suppose for you it isn't! I agree, it's so interesting and really enjoyable :smile: Yeah, so scary :frown: exactly! Literally going to have to memorise any significant quote, which is going to be difficult as obviously the question could be on any aspect :redface: very difficult for something like Wuthering Heights, and Macbeth because of the language :frown: you also have to be aware of the history at the time and implement that into your essay, so what influenced them at the time, how time periods affect how the audience would react to certain aspects (for example, the witches in Macbeth at the time it was written would have been scary for them as witchcraft was a prominent belief then, nowadays it's just stupid :tongue:). I see what you mean, I suppose the one with the least jump is history, it actually seems easier this year as there's only one exam. (It's just the ridiculous amount of things you're expected to know that's the issue)

Sorry for the essay, needed to express my worry :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucy96
Yeah I suppose for you it isn't! I agree, it's so interesting and really enjoyable :smile: Yeah, so scary :frown: exactly! Literally going to have to memorise any significant quote, which is going to be difficult as obviously the question could be on any aspect :redface: very difficult for something like Wuthering Heights, and Macbeth because of the language :frown: you also have to be aware of the history at the time and implement that into your essay, so what influenced them at the time, how time periods affect how the audience would react to certain aspects (for example, the witches in Macbeth at the time it was written would have been scary for them as witchcraft was a prominent belief then, nowadays it's just stupid :tongue:). I see what you mean, I suppose the one with the least jump is history, it actually seems easier this year as there's only one exam. (It's just the ridiculous amount of things you're expected to know that's the issue)

Sorry for the essay, needed to express my worry :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah don't say that :tongue: I'm just weird considering biology was one of my lowest graded GCSEs. It is, but I'm sacred the exams will be harder this year with unit 5 being synoptic. I really feel for you and everyone taking those types of subjects, but I'm sure you'll be fine again this year :yep:

When people tell me they have only 1 exam for each subject, I get pretty envious, I have 9 exams and they're always later in the season compared to English and history etc

Don't be sorry at all, we all have every reason
Ah don't say that :tongue: I'm just weird considering biology was one of my lowest graded GCSEs. It is, but I'm sacred the exams will be harder this year with unit 5 being synoptic. I really feel for you and everyone taking those types of subjects, but I'm sure you'll be fine again this year :yep:

When people tell me they have only 1 exam for each subject, I get pretty envious, I have 9 exams and they're always later in the season compared to English and history etc

Don't be sorry at all, we all have every reason

Hehe :tongue: oh wow, that's good though! What's funny with me, is that I was pretty good at chemistry at GCSE...oh how things change :tongue: Yeah, that's really worrying me too :redface: aww thank you :smile: you too!

You poor thing :frown: exactly, as I've said before, I only have 5, and it'd be 4 if I wasn't resitting unit 1 biology! You'll be absolutely fine I promise, you work hard and you're so intelligent, you'll do amazingly :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucy96
Hehe :tongue: oh wow, that's good though! What's funny with me, is that I was pretty good at chemistry at GCSE...oh how things change :tongue: Yeah, that's really worrying me too :redface: aww thank you :smile: you too!

You poor thing :frown: exactly, as I've said before, I only have 5, and it'd be 4 if I wasn't resitting unit 1 biology! You'll be absolutely fine I promise, you work hard and you're so intelligent, you'll do amazingly :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah well at least you never have to even think about it again, I think its because GCSE and AS chem are so different, so you're expected to change everything you've been taught. :hugs:

Aww thank you, I'll definitely work for it :smile: and you'll smash bio this time around :biggrin:
Ah well at least you never have to even think about it again, I think its because GCSE and AS chem are so different, so you're expected to change everything you've been taught. :hugs:

Aww thank you, I'll definitely work for it :smile: and you'll smash bio this time around :biggrin:

A lot of my classmates breezed through the content for AS chem because they said it was like GCSE triple sci chem.
Original post by Qari
That is ucas extra i think

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok, makes sense

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by keromedic
A lot of my classmates breezed through the content for AS chem because they said it was like GCSE triple sci chem.

They lied! Unless AQA is mad harder which I doubt a lot.
Reply 5278
Original post by Lucy96
I have a serious chocolate addiction :sad:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think mine has gotten worse with university and deadlines :erm:
They lied! Unless AQA is mad harder which I doubt a lot.

I certainly found a big jump, and that was from separate AQA GCSE sciences to OCR AS.

Looked up my exam timetable earlier, 11 exams including three in four days is not going to be fun :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest