The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Robbie242
Brah hes clearly blind if he thinks such a thing. Even his lovely subject Chemistry requires a significant amount of maths post a-level.

It just gets really irritating now when people slag off maths for no reason. :sigh: I mean, why maths? It's so fundamental to everything and yet no other subject gets nearly as much hate. :sigh:
Original post by mynameisntbobk
I doubt I'm even going to get an offer since its already competitive there. Hopefully I don't have to either, but I do actually love chemistry as well. Where else are you planning on applying?

Wouldn't imagine chemistry to be large there, at least I know now

France, Germany and Italy is where the chemistry is at, and always has been at really.

I'm looking at Warwick, Bristol, and possibly Durham, Oxford, Imperial, Edinburgh, Manchester, but I'm not really sure. Some of those choices may be very optimistic to say the least.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Yes, extremely random for someone to want to speak French :lol:

Forgot about that :facepalm: forgot everything about French
Original post by Felix Felicis
It just gets really irritating now when people slag off maths for no reason. :sigh: I mean, why maths? It's so fundamental to everything and yet no other subject gets nearly as much hate. :sigh:

I was only jostling guys. I do like maths.

I doubt I'm even going to get an offer since its already competitive there. Hopefully I don't have to either, but I do actually love chemistry as well. Where else are you planning on applying?

Wouldn't imagine chemistry to be large there, at least I know now

Durham chem actually has quite a high offer percentage.

Because people are generally **** at it, or are scared of it...

When you don't understand something, you generally just hate on it instead of trying to comprehend it. That's human nature :tongue:

Mange tout, mange tout.
Original post by Lucy96
Haha you don't seem stupid at all, I'd have no clue if I hadn't looked into it! It's just the study of primates using fossils etc :smile: I have...weird interests :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What made you want to go into paleoanthropology?:smile:
Because people are generally **** at it, or are scared of it...

When you don't understand something, you generally just hate on it instead of trying to comprehend it. That's human nature :tongue:

Nah, I'm buyst at it bro.

:biggrin:
Reply 668

I know right. Maths is actually incredibly useful in finance as I saw at my time in the Bank of England, they had integrals, differentiation and all of the other pure maths content applied to finance scenarios. Also when I read the music of the primes I heard about the importance of prime numbers for cracking German codes during the War by Turing and the recent security and code breaking applications of Prime numbers for RSA codes or something (can't remember).

Regardless all I'm saying is people who say maths is useless clearly have not read outside the a-level syllabus, through reading FLT, A mathematician's apology and the music of the primes I've being given dozens of examples where mathematics (and mathematicians) is(are) useful. I think it's derived from the idea at GCSE, I remember lots of people in my maths class saying ''when am I ever going to use algebra in my life?'' and I suppose that has carried on post GCSE :colonhash:

Give maths some slack geez
(edited 10 years ago)

:mmm:

Germany - I can't speak German yet.
Italy - I don't have an official qualification.

So French is the way to go :ahee:
Original post by CJG21
What courses are you looking at?

Chemical Engineering with Industrial Experience 4 years (MEng) at Manchester

Chemical Engineering with Industry 5 years (MEng) at Birmingham

Also considering Cambridge via Natural Sciences, Bath and Nottingham.

You? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Note: I'm going into Year 12 this year:smile:

:erm: at the moment it's chemistry of some sort with a language:biggrin: (French)

Ohhhh okay:smile: sorry! That's cool, you'll probably get to study abroad for a year/semester:biggrin:
Original post by CJG21
I was only jostling guys. I do like maths.

:yy:

On the topic of Durham chem though, to my knowledge Chemistry is one of the more under-subscribed courses hence there's quite a high offer percentage, even at institutions like Durham and Oxford.
Original post by WannaGetAnA
Ohhhh okay:smile: sorry! That's cool, you'll probably get to study abroad for a year/semester:biggrin:

A year hopefully!:colone:
Original post by x-Sophie-x
Chemical Engineering with Industrial Experience 4 years (MEng) at Manchester

Chemical Engineering with Industry 5 years (MEng) at Birmingham

Also considering Cambridge via Natural Sciences, Bath and Nottingham.

You? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to do chem. Manchester looks fantastic, didn't like Nottingham though.

On the topic of Durham chem though, to my knowledge Chemistry is one of the more under-subscribed courses hence there's quite a high offer percentage, even at institutions like Durham and Oxford.

It's the least competitive science I believe. Plus, entry requirements are much lower than for physics and maths at most places.

I was told 95% of Oxford applicants get interviews.
Original post by usycool1
University Courses!

Hi Usy, I left my details on page 14 but I forgot to quote you initially:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2435318&page=14&p=44048811#post44048811

Will.
Original post by CJG21
France, Germany and Italy is where the chemistry is at, and always has been at really.

I'm looking at Warwick, Bristol, and possibly Durham, Oxford, Imperial, Edinburgh, Manchester, but I'm not really sure. Some of those choices may be very optimistic to say the least.

Not surprised with Germany being on that list all, I knew they were very big on it.
Those are all good choices, although its always good to be optimistic I guess
Original post by CJG21
I was told 95% of Oxford applicants get interviews.

Hmmm. :beard: I don't quite think that's to say they'd give out offers to everyone though. This isn't chem but it's another pretty under-subscribed course (Classics) - this guy in the year above me, really smart guy, quite articulate as well, the kind of person you'd think would be really good at interviews. He applied for Classics at Oxford and didn't get a place in the end, everyone was like :lolwut:
Not surprised with Germany being on that list all, I knew they were very big on it.
Those are all good choices, although its always good to be optimistic I guess

Hmm... I don't think I'd get offers from any of them though.

And there's been some top German chemists, Meitner, Rontgen etc...

Latest