The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Haha unlucky :colone: we went through each mark that'd be awarded.

Eg

F_d = Two independent variables with units (made that up but yeah)

So a bit like cheating?
Original post by mynameisntbobk
So a bit like cheating?

Well no, everyone has access to these, and we aren't allowed these in lessons. And we don't know what the ISA is on or anything... Just so we know what to include!

Cheating is when centres help their candidates unfairly :colonhash:
Well no, everyone has access to these, and we aren't allowed these in lessons. And we don't know what the ISA is on or anything... Just so we know what to include!

Cheating is when centres help their candidates unfairly :colonhash:

But some schools don't do any of that or help any students. Surely candidates are treated unfairly
This biology is sending me to sleep. I HATE YOU, DENDROCHRONOLOGY. :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile
But some schools don't do any of that or help any students. Surely candidates are treated unfairly

To interrupt... This is why I hate ISAs and why I hated controlled assessments and things- it varies so much on how much help people get, to the point where some people are basically told the answers while others are just made to sit it with no idea whatsoever what to expect. I've had both worlds- for GCSE German she basically marked all our work yet for English we had no help at all for exams or coursework, and my sister hasn't for GCSE French yet she has for English, at the same school. At AS we had loads of help for physics but nothing at all for chemistry, in the same department for the same exam board. It's ridiculous :mad:

(Sorry, rant over...)
Original post by Lucy96
This biology is sending me to sleep. I HATE YOU, DENDROCHRONOLOGY. :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What on earth is dendrochronology?! :redface:
Original post by furryface12
What on earth is dendrochronology?! :redface:

The study of the width of tree rings :lol: the wider they are, the warmer the year. It's used as evidence for global warming :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

But they're meant to help preparation. It's an internal examination, it's still an examination so they have to prepare you.

Would you not expect to be taught for your externally marked exams? Only difference is the teacher is marking and then it's moderated.

It's like looking at mark schemes for past papers.
Original post by Lucy96
The study of the width of tree rings :lol: the wider they are, the warmer the year. It's used as evidence for global warming :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh, fair enough. I can't imagine it makes for the most interesting biology homework though I must admit :rolleyes:
Original post by Lucy96

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds great :sexface: :lol:
Original post by Lucy96

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually like dendrochronology, I hate pollen in peat bogs though
To interrupt... This is why I hate ISAs and why I hated controlled assessments and things- it varies so much on how much help people get, to the point where some people are basically told the answers while others are just made to sit it with no idea whatsoever what to expect. I've had both worlds- for GCSE German she basically marked all our work yet for English we had no help at all for exams or coursework, and my sister hasn't for GCSE French yet she has for English, at the same school. At AS we had loads of help for physics but nothing at all for chemistry, in the same department for the same exam board. It's ridiculous :mad:

(Sorry, rant over...)

By all means rant away. I 100% agree with you and that was the case with my school last year, the physics guys knew exactly what to expect whereas us chemists were left in the blank. They should just scrap ISAs and bring in coursework or just something else which is independent of the entire cohort.
Ohh, fair enough. I can't imagine it makes for the most interesting biology homework though I must admit :rolleyes:

It's the worst thing I've ever had to do haha :tongue: (slight exaggeration, but hey :wink:)
That sounds great :sexface: :lol:

Oh it's delightful :sexface: if only I could do a degree like "BSc Dendrochronology", my life would be complete :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucy96
It's the worst thing I've ever had to do haha :tongue: (slight exaggeration, but hey :wink:)

Oh it's delightful :sexface: if only I could do a degree like "BSc Dendrochronology", my life would be complete :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Someone my friends knew went to study trees at university :mmm:

By all means rant away. I 100% agree with you and that was the case with my school last year, the physics guys knew exactly what to expect whereas us chemists were left in the blank. They should just scrap ISAs and bring in coursework or just something else which is independent of the entire cohort.

Really? :redface: fair enough :h: I prefer the ice core method :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucy96
Really? :redface: fair enough :h: I prefer the ice core method :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Never learned that one :tongue: sounds pretty boring though :wink:
Someone my friends knew went to study trees at university :mmm:

Hahaha wow :tongue: suppose we all like different things, though! (Many would think I'm weird/boring for being fascinated by human evolution and faunal remains etc :tongue:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly! But ahh well, we can't have everything...

Original post by Lucy96

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure it exists somewhere, I'm sure you could at least make it your specialty if you really wanted to :tongue:
Reply 7677
Has anyone got a way to prepare for the OCR A2 Physics A ISA at all? I have used the practical skills handbook(http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/70735-practical-skills-handbook.pdf), how does everyone else prepare? As we had a lot of help last year, but none at all this year
In need of M1 help again! Fish, usy... plz..

A stone is projected vertically upwards from a point A with speed u ms-1. It takes 3.5s to reach its max height above A. Find

a) the value of u

so I've got

s=
u=?
v=0
a=
t=3.5

But I have no clue what a or s are. S is the answer to part b, so it must be a I need but I have no idea what it is based on this information. :confused:

x
Original post by Lucy96
Hahaha wow :tongue: suppose we all like different things, though! (Many would think I'm weird/boring for being fascinated by human evolution and faunal remains etc :tongue:)

Posted from tar Mobile

:rofl: sounds great tbh :wink:
Original post by Endless Blue
In need of M1 help again! Fish, usy... plz..

A stone is projected vertically upwards from a point A with speed u ms-1. It takes 3.5s to reach its max height above A. Find

a) the value of u

so I've got

s=
u=?
v=0
a=
t=3.5

But I have no clue what a or s are. S is the answer to part b, so it must be a I need but I have no idea what it is based on this information. :confused:

A is acceleration due to gravity :smile:

So 9.81! Might be negative depending on your positive direction

Good thing I came on, was just about to sleep :ahee:
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest