Original post by Robbie242
Yeah I thought so as well, ah well congratulations on your offer!!! :biggrin:

I suppose, ah thank you but don't be too hard on yourself :smile:

who said I was being hard on myself? :biggrin:
I suppose you're right but my area is quite poor :tongue:

Cheers usy :smile: Yeah I'm looking forward to it :yes:

not really that fused by the rejection actually, feels weird

Sorry to hear about the news, Robbie. You have a fantastic application story since GCSE and should be very proud of a Warwick offer! It's one of the best in the UK after Cambridge, I'm sure you will enjoy it there. Someone posted this which may be relevant to you. It could well be that they just felt your education had left too many gaps in your knowledge to keep up with their incredibly tough course.
Original post by Endless Blue

How did you fare?:smile:
Offer from Cambridge for Economics!!! :smile:
Original post by Boy_wonder_95

Congratulations!!:biggrin:

Congrats boywonder :biggrin: you deserve it :smile:
Original post by WannaGetAnA
Congratulations!!:biggrin:

Congrats boywonder :biggrin: you deserve it :smile:

Thanks guys!
Thanks guys!

Which college?
Original post by WannaGetAnA
Which college?

Pembroke! :biggrin:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
How did you fare?:smile:

Pooled by Jesus. Didn't qualify for auto-pool but we'll just have to wait and see I guess
Pooled by Jesus. Didn't qualify for auto-pool but we'll just have to wait and see I guess

Oh that's good news then considering :biggrin: hope it goes well.
Reply 9531
usycool1
x
Officially seen episodes I-VI now. I love them all :eek3::love::love:
Original post by smile:D
Offer from Cambridge for history- over the moon right now :woo:

Congratulations to you both :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why is history revision so painful? :frown: I remember NOTHING and my mock is on Thursday. You'd think I'd learn not to leave revision this late :cry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry to hear about the news, Robbie. You have a fantastic application story since GCSE and should be very proud of a Warwick offer! It's one of the best in the UK after Cambridge, I'm sure you will enjoy it there. Someone posted this which may be relevant to you. It could well be that they just felt your education had left too many gaps in your knowledge to keep up with their incredibly tough course.

Thanks, hoping the best for you within the pool. Yeah I feel that exact way, I wasn't prepared enough for the interview so probably not prepared for the tough course, the article was quite good perspective wise so thanks for that as well
Original post by Lucy96
Why is history revision so painful? :frown: I remember NOTHING and my mock is on Thursday. You'd think I'd learn not to leave revision this late :cry:

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's still time, don't panic! :smile: btw, how was your birthday?
Original post by Lucy96
Congratulations to you both :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks Lucy :smile:
Off to Warwick for me :smile:

just proves really that even if you work hard, you most likely won't get into Cambridge because you weren't privately educated :rolleyes:

I can understand you're upset about your rejection but that simply isn't true. You don't have to be privately educated to stand a good chance at Cambridge, you just have to be within the range that they're looking for. They contextualise your results with your school's to remove any disadvantages and the intake of state schoolers is around 63.7% so I don't think there's any bias. I hope you don't take it too hard upon yourself, and wish you all the best at Warwick :smile:
I can understand you're upset about your rejection but that simply isn't true. You don't have to be privately educated to stand a good chance at Cambridge, you just have to be within the range that they're looking for. They contextualise your results with your school's to remove any disadvantages and the intake of state schoolers is around 63.7% so I don't think there's any bias. I hope you don't take it too hard upon yourself, and wish you all the best at Warwick :smile:

Yeah I was understandably more pissed off earlier but that doesn't get rid of the fact that my school from the get go didn't give me much hope in reaching Cambridge at all, contextualisation can only account for so much and even then, if your school is literally so bad to the point where it doesn't actively prepare you for any sort of study at Cambridge, Cambridge themselves won't want you and that's the hard truth

It's probably not a matter of Private education vs State education I don't think anymore, but they can still say next to their statistic that they take x amount of students from state schools, still doesn't mean that students from really bad state schools will ever have a chance at Cambridge
(edited 10 years ago)

Yeah I was understandably more pissed off earlier but that doesn't get rid of the fact that my school from the get go didn't give me much hope in reaching Cambridge at all, contextualisation can only account for so much and even then, if your school is literally so bad to the point where it doesn't actively prepare you for any sort of study at Cambridge, Cambridge themselves won't want you and that's the hard truth

It's probably not a matter of Private education vs State education I don't think anymore, but they can still say next to their statistic that they take x amount of students from state schools, still doesn't mean that students from really bad state schools will ever have a chance at Cambridge

I do think the original statement was unfair but if you see the article I linked it shows that sometimes poor state schools leave too many gaps in applicants' knowledge and they just can't make them an offer, even if they do have great potential. Compare this to, say, a leading boarding school you will see how big an impact education can have, and though Cambridge try to contextualise this they still take an overwhelming proportion of privately educated students.

Latest