Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, I've confirmed and enrolled for a place on the MPhys physics and astronomy course this year at York and I thought I'd stop by here to say hello. Anybody else doing physics?

ReputationRep:
    Yup, there's now 4 of us that I've seen here on TSR.

I applied for standard BSc Physics with the intention to transfer onto MPhys after the first year

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm also in for Physics with Astrophysics, currently on BSc but might switch to MPhys if I can. What college you thinking? I'm thinking James if I can...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HypErTwisT)
    Hey, I'm also in for Physics with Astrophysics, currently on BSc but might switch to MPhys if I can. What college you thinking? I'm thinking James if I can...
    James looks good, I'm into music too so Vanbrugh is an option for me. The easy access to astrocampus is tempting though!

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know if we have a recommended reading list available to view?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TMcn)
    Does anybody know if we have a recommended reading list available to view?
    It's in the FAQs here: http://www.york.ac.uk/physics/undergraduate/faqs/

scroll down a bit, there are a few books listed. I've only glanced at them, I'll probably have a look at them in the library and buy the ones that I find most useful.

ReputationRep:
    By the way, is there a Facebook group or something for physics freshers?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by WanderlustCam)
    By the way, is there a Facebook group or something for physics freshers?
    There is a facebook group here:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/2100...02149/?fref=ts

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm coming to York on the Physics with Astrophysics course too. Definitely want to be in James, will have to wait and see when applying!

ReputationRep:
    Bonjour!

I'm going to be doing BSc Theoretical Physics, hopefully transfer to a Masters...

James is convenient but not really my style (also don't like 35 week lets), going to be applying for Langwith!

ReputationRep:
    Mr Einstein, if you don't have a moustache and frizzy white hair I am going to be sorely disappointed :P

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm going Physics with Astrophysics BSc, and hoping to get into James College

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WanderlustCam)
    Mr Einstein, if you don't have a moustache and frizzy white hair I am going to be sorely disappointed :P
    haha, it's not something you can force!

I'm totally working on it though I promise...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Einstein)
    haha, it's not something you can force!

I'm totally working on it though I promise...
    Don't worry, exam stress will turn your hair white sooner than you can blink

So where has everyone put their accommodation application in for? Halifax here

ReputationRep:
    I went for James

ReputationRep:
    Well looks like I didn't have much choice in the end!

Just went for James to join the rest of the Physics gang!

ReputationRep:
    Looks like I'm going to take what I can tomorrow, I can't apply until 1 in the afternoon and I'm supposed to be going to Leeds Fest! Gonna have to delay that to sort accommodation. Hope I don't have to have one of the most expensive ones (

ReputationRep:
    Yea glad there's a few of us in James xD anyone know blocks? I'm either E or F. Is anyone else not too much of a fan of clubs or is it just me? Hoping I won't be on my own here lol.

ReputationRep:
    I went for James college, i'll be doing Theoretical Physics masters

ReputationRep:
    Man, I feel like I'm really missing out. I wanted to go James, but by the time I got in there was only catered left (and I wanted self-catered). So I've ended up all the way in Goodricke Heslington East

Any chance anyone else will be joining me though? :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.