The Student Room Group

Why train legs?

In terms of aesthetics, there are very few women I know who would go 'Oo nice legs', infact I don't think most would notice if someone neglects to train them and only trains upper body.

So yeah, if you go to the gym mainly to keep in shape (i.e. look good), what is the point in training them?

My reason for training them is that part of the reason I go to the gym, other than to keep in shape, is to get fit for football, and legs play a huge part in football.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Training legs help initiate testosterone production more than any other big muscle. and also we lift for ourselves my friend granted. But, would you be happy knowing yourself in this self-conscious world we live in that you have a big upper body with tiny sticks below ? also having big ripped quads look immense. and like you said its a bonus for sports like football.
Reply 2
:smile:
Reply 3
if you train for chicks you're spindly legs (if you have a low bf and don't train legs they will be spindly) you look fckin stupid to the chick. You just don't look proportional at all.
I was actually reading today the fact, and quite obviously, your legs support your body.

No matter how huge your upper body is, if your legs cant support the weight up there you'll get no where.

And this is coming from a mixed race guy that ended up with the black man genes calf wise. I seriously have to work on them, though more for aesthetical reasons!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Because otherwise you'll look like this
(edited 8 years ago)
Let's see. The biggest muscles are in your lower body. They are also your wheels of transportation and the foundation of movement for any sport or activity.

Screw it, I just want those abs! :rolleyes:

Also lifting for girls? That is so old man

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scott.M
In terms of aesthetics, there are very few women I know who would go 'Oo nice legs', infact I don't think most would notice if someone neglects to train them and only trains upper body.

So yeah, if you go to the gym mainly to keep in shape (i.e. look good), what is the point in training them?

My reason for training them is that part of the reason I go to the gym, other than to keep in shape, is to get fit for football, and legs play a huge part in football.

Believe me, people will notice! Imagine how disproportionate your body will look if you just trained your upper body :tongue:

Plus exercises such as squats, deadlifts are associated with acute rises in testosterone, growth hormones and insulin-growth factors...basically exercising your lower body will also help growth of your upper body
Reply 8
Why train legs? ANSWERED!

37046.jpg
Reply 9
Big proportional legs are aesthetic as ****, you cannot be aesthetic without decent legs, some women DO like legs and WILL compliment you on good legs, and most women WILL notice if you have chicken legs.
Original post by SPB
Negged. Posting in a moll lead.
every-day-is-upper-body-day.jpeg

1aac7_ORIG-upper7.jpg

Because you don't want noodle legs like the people above.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
If you want a good body to impress girls, I personally think that's fine. I mean it will help build confidence and obviously you'll notice other benefits such as feeling more alert etc.
The good thing about training legs other than what's mentioned above is you will also activate you glutes when training and since you want to impress girls....well they like it when guys have nice bums too :tongue:
There's a stupid amount of men walking around with big upper bodies and ridiculous looking legs.
Reply 13
If you have strong legs, can't that help with running or sprinting?
Reply 14
would you build a brick house on feather foundations? No.
Because anyone who has calves smaller than their arms just looks ridiculous. There are people like that at my gym, who are also the ones who spend more time talking than actually lifting. I facepalm every time I see them.
Being a bipedal animal
Not training your legs

Shiggydiggy
Reply 17
Firstly exercises like the squats burn a whole load of energy, which will help u get ripped.
Secondly squats also activate your abs and lower back and can help you get that 'V' cut on you hips which chikcs dig
Reply 18
Strength, health and proportion.
Reply 19
Original post by HaQ_mAn_
Firstly exercises like the squats burn a whole load of energy, which will help u get ripped.
Secondly squats also activate your abs and lower back and can help you get that 'V' cut on you hips which chikcs dig

This man understands.:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest