Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Uni policies on bringing alcohol? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What are unis like when it comes to bringing alcohol with you? Do they check your luggage? Could you get away with stashing it in your suitcase somewhere? I'm not talking much, maybe a few bottles of spirits and a bottle of wine or something.

I've got a ring of fire card set, see.

Alternatively, would it be better to just go into town and buy some after I've arrived?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Lol... such an innocent post.

You talking about halls? Don't worry it's absolutely fine, everyone does it and it's often expected anyway due to the big nights out once you move in.

You don't even need to hide it, just bring everything with you out in the open if it's easier. Doesn't matter. The worst thing that can happen is one of your flatmates steal it!

Tbh bring as much as you can if it's cheaper and especially if your parents are chipping in.

ReputationRep:
    hahahahahhahahhaahhahahahahahahh ahahahahahahah

ReputationRep:
    I'm amazed at your naïvety, but they will be fine with it!

ReputationRep:
    If you're more worried about drinking then what university should actually be about, you need to sort your priorities out.

ReputationRep:
    On moving in day at Uni accommodation in first year, a girl brought a crate of beers to 'break the ice'. I myself bought a bottle of absinthe. There's no problem with it. Have fun!

ReputationRep:
    More likely you won't be let in if you DON'T have a stash of booze..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    You're all over the age of 18. There is no legal problems in brining alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    Ha. Well, thanks for your answers & thanks for pardoning my ignorance.

What are some popular brands of drinks? I'd like to bring something with me to brake the ice when I meet my flatmates, but I hardly ever drink myself so don't really know about this kind of stuff.

ReputationRep:
    lol, there are no checks.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Cider is a good one. Most people like most brands of cider, whereas people can be a bit more fussy about beer/larger. You don't need to faff around with mixer like with spirits, and cans are a bit less likely to smash than bottles of things. But whatever you want is fine.

No-one is going to stand at your door checking your luggage. Most people will bring alchohol. Some people will even bring in drugs. There are no rules about drinking in halls- and on freshers at least they will be pretty relaxed about flat parties.

Living in halls is a lot like living in a private rented house. No-one will be checking up on you or telling you what to do. Provided you're respectful, don't damage anything, aren't smoking in doors, and your room isn't an actual health hazard, you can do pretty much anything you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlickerWick)

What are some popular brands of drinks? I'd like to bring something with me to brake the ice when I meet my flatmates, but I hardly ever drink myself so don't really know about this kind of stuff.
    Take a bottle of vodka/rum to share with your flat so you won't have issues of anyone not liking cider/beer. Smirnoff/ Russian Standard should be fine for vodka and Bacardi/ Captain Morgan should be good for rum.

The ring of fire card set is a very good idea! You'll have no problems making friends if you have good alcohol and drinking games, trust me.

ReputationRep:
    Unis sell alcohol, I'm sure they won't mind you bringing some with you. They don't do bag checks.

ReputationRep:
    What are unis like when it comes to bringing alcohol with you? Do they check your luggage? Could you get away with stashing it in your suitcase somewhere? I'm not talking much, maybe a few bottles of spirits and a bottle of wine or something.

I've got a ring of fire card set, see.

Alternatively, would it be better to just go into town and buy some after I've arrived?
    Yeah, you should be careful unless you want to get a detention. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Universities essentially encourage drinking and some have been criticised for not providing non drinking alternatives.

ReputationRep:
    You should be allowed to take alcohol with you to halls. There will be a list of banned items in halls such as drugs and weapons but that's common sense really. Just don't try and take your own alcohol into pubs. Remember to take it slow and don't over do it, you don't want your house-mates to get the wrong impression of you.

ReputationRep:
    Wtf they don't go through your luggage as you arrive. It's not an airport!

ReputationRep:

Crate of beer is always good, also stuff like Smirnoff Ice etc if you want a drink when you get there but need a clear head to be able to unpack obviously as you get later into the evening and start pre-drinking/playing ring of fire, you get onto vodka (either to mix or take as shots), absinthe, goldschlager if you're feeling brave, most spirits that you can mix or drink as shots, Sourz... the list is endless

ReputationRep:
    Still in the process of buying stuff to pack, so would...

x1 crate of beer
    x? drinks like Ice, lighter stuff
    x1 1L bottle of vodka
    x1 pack of x12 shot glasses (dirt cheap @ £4.99)
    x1 deck of playing cards

...be enough in terms of drink-related stuff? Don't want to overspend, ****ting money of of my arse at the moment on clothes etc.

ReputationRep:
    Feel free to roll up with as much as needed. They didn't care, its allowed and they come to expect it from students these days.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.