Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have an unconditional offer for Warwick A&F starting this Sept/Oct.

I found the website of a good strength-orientated gym in Leamington Spa:

http://www.workoutmill.co.uk/

I was wondering if anyone has been there and knows what it is like. Would it be slightly better than the uni gym / fitness first etc for strength training.

I am mainly looking for 70kg dumbells for chest press, and 200kg+ barbell for compounds.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't used the Workout Mill, but I can tell you what they have at the university gym. There are 3 power cages, incline, decline and flat barbel benches, and about 5 adjustable benches. I'm not sure if the dumbells go up to 70kg though, maybe worth ringing them. Also about 5 cables machines with lots of space to do chins and dips. Because of all of the power cages, there is easily enough plates to do 200kg bench (pretty strong by the way, nice). You might find that it is a bit busy for your liking though, usually I found it was easy enough to get a cage, but the flat bench was always being used.

I think I will be using the workout mill next year since I'm going into 2nd year.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply, the uni gym sounds good.
    5 cable stations is a decent number. I hope they have one of those weight-assisted pullup machines as I use them a lot to warm up.

200kg is my deadlift btw not my bench.

Another reason to go to the Workout Mill is that I would be looking to hire a PT just one day a week to spot me on delt and pec workout. Don't need a spot for the other muscle groups. (I've had a pretty bad tear in the deltoid-pectoral boundary)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oscarw2)
    Thanks for the reply, the uni gym sounds good.
    5 cable stations is a decent number. I hope they have one of those weight-assisted pullup machines as I use them a lot to warm up.

200kg is my deadlift btw not my bench.

Another reason to go to the Workout Mill is that I would be looking to hire a PT just one day a week to spot me on delt and pec workout. Don't need a spot for the other muscle groups. (I've had a pretty bad tear in the deltoid-pectoral boundary)
    I just had a look at the Workout Mill, I'm probably going to go there next year since I live so close to it. I asked them by email what equipment they have, and apparently there are 2 squat racks, 5 benches (including incline and decline I think), with other barbell equipment too. They said it is acceptable to deadlift too (you are actually not supposed to drop the weights at the uni gym, which is crap).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks that sounds good. My current chest training is a drop set on the incline and decline benches so I'm happy.

I am sad about the uni gym's deadlift rule- last night I dropped the weights pretty hard.
    There are some fairly high-profile bodybuilders at Workout Mill from what I can see. I might not ever bother going to the uni gym.

ReputationRep:
    The uni gym is dreadful. Simply gym (old fitness first) is actually decent. Apollo gym in Coventry is good too, that'd be a bit easier to get too than workout mill probably if you're on campus.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

Well I'm locked into the Workout Mill now as I'm set up with a trainer.

I would love to know if there is a Holland and Barret, GNC or other health food store located conveniently to the uni. Mainly for nuts, seeds and berries. I am basically a bird.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.yell.com/s/health+food+sh...ngton+spa.html

http://www.yell.com/ucs/UcsSearchAct...Results=&ssm=1

there you go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oscarw2)
    Hi guys

Well I'm locked into the Workout Mill now as I'm set up with a trainer.

I would love to know if there is a Holland and Barret, GNC or other health food store located conveniently to the uni. Mainly for nuts, seeds and berries. I am basically a bird.
    There is a Holland and Barrett on Warwick Street https://www.google.co.uk/maps/previe...4!2i817!4f13.1

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.