Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Food "poverty" is caused by stupidity, not poverty Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...ain-jay-rayner

^^^ an article on food banks and poverty

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...modern-poverty

^^^ an article on someone feeding themselves so well in "poverty" that invited praise from Fortnum & Mason.

------

Food poverty it seems to me is caused by the stupidity of the poor people who have gotten themselves into the situation. It's not difficult to feed yourself or a family at all, lots of cheap stuff in supermarkets (basics or reduced to clear) or markets. If you're really that desperate, go dumpster diving.

Lots of takeaways in poor areas still, might I add. It's simply laughable that typically so called "poor people" can't afford food. The woman in the above blog manages to feed herself and a baby for 28p a meal. You can pick up that much off the floor in town centres in less than an hour. No one is too poor to spend less than 30p to feed themselves.

People who are too stupid to feed themselves is a bit like a fish that forgot to evolve gills.

Maybe if people learnt to save a bit more, I have very little outgoing and can easily save around 50% of what I get if it wasn't my choice to spend it on nice things I want but not necessary to feed myself. People in much poorer countries manage to save a much higher % of their money. Why can't we?

Also, even if the mother in the above blog is being clever now with her cheap recipes, she brought it on herself, by quitting a well paid night shift job as an telephone operator for the Emergency services and lumbering herself with a baby and not making much of her posh grammar school education she received.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst your tone/rhetoric is fairly judgmental/narrow minded/offensive, it's true that some in receipt of benefits are a little ignorant/ill informed/disinterested when it comes to eating well and could really help themselves/their families in this regard..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Whilst your tone/rhetoric is fairly judgmental/narrow minded/offensive, it's true that some in receipt of benefits are a little ignorant/ill informed/disinterested when it comes to eating well and could really help themselves/their families in this regard..
    Gosh, you sound as insipid as a glass of lukewarm water.

Can you not make up your mind and take a stand when people are "too poor" for a 30p meal that they're just being ridiculous?

(Original post by thisistheend)
      http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...ain-jay-rayner

^^^ an article on food banks and poverty

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...modern-poverty

^^^ an article on someone feeding themselves so well in "poverty" that invited praise from Fortnum & Mason.

------

Food poverty it seems to me is caused by the stupidity of the poor people who have gotten themselves into the situation. It's not difficult to feed yourself or a family at all, lots of cheap stuff in supermarkets (basics or reduced to clear) or markets. If you're really that desperate, go dumpster diving.

Lots of takeaways in poor areas still, might I add. It's simply laughable that typically so called "poor people" can't afford food. The woman in the above blog manages to feed herself and a baby for 28p a meal. You can pick up that much off the floor in town centres in less than an hour. No one is too poor to spend less than 30p to feed themselves.

People who are too stupid to feed themselves is a bit like a fish that forgot to evolve gills.

Maybe if people learnt to save a bit more, I have very little outgoing and can easily save around 50% of what I get if it wasn't my choice to spend it on nice things I want but not necessary to feed myself. People in much poorer countries manage to save a much higher % of their money. Why can't we?

Also, even if the mother in the above blog is being clever now with her cheap recipes, she brought it on herself, by quitting a well paid night shift job as an telephone operator for the Emergency services and lumbering herself with a baby and not making much of her posh grammar school education she received.
      The woman in the article is so annoying. If you can't afford to give your kid bread and jam, ****ing hell, then sell the TV!

Why have a TV, and therefore includes the expensive TV licence, if you can't afford to feed your child? What a bad mother.

The guitar should go as well.

She needs to learn to go and shop for Sainsbury's basics or Tesco value or whatever.
      • TSR Support Team
      • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
      Save what money? Bills are going up and benefits are being cut.

ReputationRep:
      Do you have any experience whatsoever of reality?

ReputationRep:
      Simple way to close the deficit: tax middle England at 99% and leave them 28p a day to eat lol

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Moosferatu)
      Do you have any experience whatsoever of reality?
      Yeah course I do. My middle name's not Gideon now is it?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by OU Student)
      Save what money? Bills are going up and benefits are being cut.
      Not nearly by enough.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by im so academic)
      The woman in the article is so annoying. If you can't afford to give your kid bread and jam, ****ing hell, then sell the TV!

Why have a TV, and therefore includes the expensive TV licence, if you can't afford to feed your child? What a bad mother.

She needs to learn to go and shop for Sainsbury's basics or Tesco value or whatever.
      And ideally, don't have a kid in the first place.
      • TSR Support Team
      • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
      Not nearly by enough.
      Ok then, live on £56.90 a week for a year and tell me that's enough to top up your rent, eat healthily, pay bills and job hunt?

A lot of people are struggling on benefits.

You have no idea what you're talking about. I hope you actually find yourself on benefits one day and realise how much of a struggle it really is.

ReputationRep:
      Really? I thought it was caused by David Cameron.

ReputationRep:
      Ok then, live on £56.90 a week for a year and tell me that's enough to top up your rent, eat healthily, pay bills and job hunt?

You have no idea what you're talking about. I hope you actually find yourself on benefits one day and realise how much of a struggle it really is.
      Or, alternatively - stop whining and get a job?

There are plenty of jobs out there - 371 within 2 miles of my postcode are listed on JobSearch alone https://www.gov.uk/jobsearch

Actually I agree with that point.
        • TSR Support Team
        • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
        Peoples situations change. Do you really think that people can really predict that in x amount of years time, they'll become a single parent, they'll lose their job, become ill, have to bring up a disabled child, etc?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
        Peoples situations change. Do you really think that people can really predict that in x amount of years time, they'll become a single parent, they'll lose their job, become ill, have to bring up a disabled child, etc?:rolleyes:
        So what? I don't see how someone else taking a risk means I have to pay if things turn bad for them.

If I invest my life savings in the stock market and lose it all, I don't turn to the government looking for a bail out.

I don't intend on having children because I can't be sure that I would be able to pay for their education. I don't expect anyone else to pay for it for me.

ReputationRep:
        Ah yes, in a civilised society let's allow families to scavenge in bins for their food shall we.

The fact of the matter is that wages are falling while food prices are increasing, and there are increasingly more people looking for work than there is work.

And also, who the hell do you think you are to plan people's families for them. Where does it end?

I'm So Academic, did you get into Oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
        Or, alternatively - stop whining and get a job?

There are plenty of jobs out there - 371 within 2 miles of my postcode are listed on JobSearch alone https://www.gov.uk/jobsearch
        Of course that should be the aim. However, many people do not 'whine' and attempt to find a job.
        There are seemingly a large number of jobs available. There are indeed 576 at the exact location of my town on indeed.co.uk
        The problem is that these jobs are not all accessible to everyone. Many are as care assistants - need training, a car and very often previous experience. Others are as managers - need experience. Others want a degree.
        Then of the surprisingly rare entry level jobs, which are usually in retail or possibly temporary admin jobs, you get a huge number of applications. A large DFS recently opened in my area, and over 1500 people applied for around 20 jobs.
        Admittedly some will have not really cared (just a condition of JSA) but the majority do.
        It's just more difficult than people may think to find work.

ReputationRep:

It's not difficult for a person to live on £56.90. Fair enough you might not be able to splash out on fun things to do, but it is not the state's responsibility to entertain you.

If you're entitled to JSA/Income support chances are you're entitled to housing benefits for rent, and although you will probably have to contribute to your housing benefit, you should still have at least £40 a week at your disposal.

Bills aren't going to be ridiculous if you live within your means - electricity / gas will be low if you only use the bare necessities. Obviously if you're paying for a TV License, blazing hot radiators and electricity-intense gadgets then it will be a struggle, but that's for you to finance not the state.

Income support / JSA (esp) are not supposed to be a secured income source. They are merely there to support you whilst you attempt to find work. Owning a TV and similar items do NOT constitute necessary factors towards finding a job. Buying things like this makes living on benefits a struggle.

Job hunting isn't extremely expensive as a lot of people make out it is. Access to a computer via a library is free; handing one's cv in at a number of local places costs nothing more than a few pounds; paying for clothes to go to interviews is typically subsidised (though it surprises me - if someone isn't willing to invest in some relatively smart clothes probably isn't too keen on finding a job anyway).

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by im so academic)

you seem to have missed " she sold the entire contents of her house – crockery, curtains and all – to pay off rent arrears"

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 23, 2013
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
      AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.