Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

joint tenancy agreement - not all there to sign before moving in - HELP !?!? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Here's the situation: me and another girl went house hunting. We found somewhere which we thought was very good for the price and in an ok location. We like it and want it. We have another girl in the group, but she's from Lithuania. We've sent her the details and she seems happy with it, I think she's just glad that we found her somewhere to live. It was also better for us, as the less people who go house hunting, the more likely we are to agree on the same place. Although especially as it's a joint tenancy contract we might see if the lithuanian girl has to pay a terms/all the rent upfront as she hasnt got a UK based guarantor, we can't remember what the landlady said. We do need to find a 4th person although this doesnt seem to be much of an issue as on the unis facebook page there's loads of other first years looking for people to live with.

Like I said, it's a joint tenancy which is where we may have an issue. And to do it properly we all need to sign the one contract and then get a copy each. However me and the other English girl live several hundred miles apart and several hundred miles fron the university (and probably won't be seeing each other again until we move in) and the girl from Lithuania isn't arriving until we move in (but can pay deposit through online bank transfers so thats not a problem). And we don't know where the other person will be from.

How do we get around this? One of the other landlords we spoke to said we could sign it when we arrive, but we want to do things properly and not give them an opportunity to run with our money etc etc. Seeing as we all need a copy of it anyway, can we sign one each then when we arrive sign each others or is this as dodgey as not signing it at all until we arrive ?

There must have been others in this situation ???
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Dependant on what agreement you come to, some people have elected a party who lives close to the landlord (such as yourself) to sign for them on their behalf. A letter will need to be sent to your landlord from them and may even have to be countersigned by someone else.

Speak with your landlord or letting agency and see what they say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattheatre)
    Dependant on what agreement you come to, some people have elected a party who lives close to the landlord (such as yourself) to sign for them on their behalf. A letter will need to be sent to your landlord from them and may even have to be countersigned by someone else.

Speak with your landlord or letting agency and see what they say.
    Thanks for a quick response. This seems to be a reasonable option. The other girl lives 2-3 hours from the uni, so is the closest. She's the one with the hard copy of the contract (which we took just incase we did decide to go for it) but she has scanned it and emailed it to me and the lithuanian girl so we can read it through.

We do want to find a 4th person and get this sorted ASAP. The landlady said noone else had contacted her about this house. The other person we saw said that had only had one person so far and that next week once everyone is organised is when it starts to get busy. But we wanted to get in there early. A lot of the best private accommodation has gone to the people who were already at the uni last year, who could sort it out months ago, so we want to have a decent pick of what's left.

ReputationRep:
    Is this our only legit option for doing it? Or is there another option?

By the way, the deposits go to the 'deposit protection service' which is probably better than just to the landlady ????
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nic-nac)
    Is this our only legit option for doing it? Or is there another option?

By the way, the deposits go to the 'deposit protection service' which is probably better than just to the landlady ????
    Keep looking for new people. Spend a day just contacting people and ringing people and you will get something sorted. With regard to the 'legit' options it is all an agreement with you and your landlady. As long as you and your landlady are happy with an option then that is the way you will do it. Ring your landlady and speak with her regarding the situation. They want the house filled and you want the house to live in. You've all got a common goal just are unsure on how to reach it.

The DPS is a service that means that you send your deposit to your landlord or to DPS and the DPS means that your deposit is protected. So even if the landlord runs into debt or if they run away with it all, you will still get the deposit back on your house. The deposit isn't a way for the landlord to make money, it is simply a way for the landlord to get peace of mind for you moving in. It also allows them to pay for admin costs thus far and such like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattheatre)
    Keep looking for new people. Spend a day just contacting people and ringing people and you will get something sorted. With regard to the 'legit' options it is all an agreement with you and your landlady. As long as you and your landlady are happy with an option then that is the way you will do it. Ring your landlady and speak with her regarding the situation. They want the house filled and you want the house to live in. You've all got a common goal just are unsure on how to reach it.

The DPS is a service that means that you send your deposit to your landlord or to DPS and the DPS means that your deposit is protected. So even if the landlord runs into debt or if they run away with it all, you will still get the deposit back on your house. The deposit isn't a way for the landlord to make money, it is simply a way for the landlord to get peace of mind for you moving in. It also allows them to pay for admin costs thus far and such like.
    We have found another person. The land lady said to print a copy of the contract off each, sign a different number and post it to her. We have to write a cheque addressed to the DPS.

Although i'm not sure if we send it to her then she sends it on, or straight to DPS !?!? Plus I need to check that it's ok that the cheque is from my parents !? As long as it's clear it's for me and for the right property I don't see a problem ?!?!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter who the cheque is from or indeed shouldn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    Get them to email the contract for you to sign? They tried to do that with me and my housemates, saying that none of us could get our keys and move in until we've all signed. I'm an international student so there's was no way I could just fly over just to sign it, and the rest of my housemates were moving in before I was.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.