Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've started drinking green tea to observe whether it has any noticeable benefits on my health. I plan to test it drinking 3-4 cups a day for 3-6 months. Luckily I like the acquired taste too! However, I'm drinking it purely for its health benefits, so... what's the best way to drink it? At the moment I have Twinings Pure Green Tea which I brew for around 5 minutes before drinking. I've heard some people actually take the leafs out of the bag and drink those as well to maximise the benefits. Buying loose leaves is apparently better, but unless the benefits are that much better I'd rather use tea bags for convenience. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't stew it that long. Makes it too bitter but it is up to you. Don't use boiling water. Let the water cool for a while before you add it to the leaves. Proper loose green tea will give you better tea in my opinion. I like to add ground ginger. Mmmmm

It's all personal preference really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Angry Stoic)
    I wouldn't stew it that long. Makes it too bitter but it is up to you. Don't use boiling water. Let the water cool for a while before you add it to the leaves. Proper loose green tea will give you better tea in my opinion. I like to add ground ginger. Mmmmm

It's all personal preference really.
    I've heard about people adding ground ginger, or even a few drops of lemon or orange juice; perhaps I'll try it with that. I always have my tea particularly strong - but I thought brewing it long extracts more of it's health benefits? The actual pack the tea comes in recommends 1-2 brewing minutes... but I want to maximise the health properties as long as I test if it benefits my health!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertWhite)
    I've heard about people adding ground ginger, or even a few drops of lemon or orange juice; perhaps I'll try it with that. I always have my tea particularly strong - but I thought brewing it long extracts more of it's health benefits? The actual pack the tea comes in recommends 1-2 brewing minutes... but I want to maximise the health properties as long as I test if it benefits my health!
    I guess it would. I've never drank it for the health benefits. I just like it!

ReputationRep:
    If you want any discernible health benefits - drinking a couple of cups of stewed tea isn't going to help. You would probably need to have much larger doses of concentrated green tea extract.

Even then - the effect on health is going to be very subtle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark85)
    If you want any discernible health benefits - drinking a couple of cups of stewed tea isn't going to help. You would probably need to have much larger doses of concentrated green tea extract.

You ruined the placebo

ReputationRep:

I'm not sure I agree with that. Maybe you're right but this is why I'm testing it for myself. One cup of green tea contains 10 times more or about a kg worth of fruit and vegetable antioxidants. I've considered taking green tea extract but I think that takes away from the naturalness of drinking green tea. I like to think I'm quite immune from the placebo effect from my one year of psychology at university!

ReputationRep:

Probably true since most people aren't going to get cancer to begin with. But there's enough l-theanine and polyphenols in a cup of green tea for a small GABA hit.

And RobertWhite, don't be so sure about the placebo effect, learning what it is in depth doesn't prepare you in any way to counter it

ReputationRep:
    3 cups of green tea a day is enough to provide benefits. Never tried twinnings version just grab mine from holland n Barrett.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also don't squeeze the tea bag or stir it when it's brewing. It has to be rested when it's being brewed. Maybe give it a little squeeze when it's finished but don't squeeze it to an inch of it's life, just a little bit to get rid of excess water.

There's good stuff in green tea, I think it's a compound called EGCG. As most people know a lot of green tea is drunk in Asia. They've found in the east there is a lower amount of people who have arthritis compared to tea drinkers in the west. Apparently the compound reduces inflammation and joint damage.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.