Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pred. grades question Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So come results day I received ABE, with the E being quite the surprise. Basically in the first Unit I got a B but on the morning of the Unit 2 exam, due to some personal issues, I was 30 minutes late to the exam and everything kind of went downhill from there; got a U. I'm confident that by just retaking that exam I can bring the grade up to A/B (Doing the same with the other B, grr history) and that I can convince my teacher to predict me an A for the E subject, all things considered. My question: As long as I'm predicted the right grades will I still be considered despite my AS results? This is of course taking into consideration the best PS I can muster and hopefully a good LNAT score (I want to study law at, hopefully, a top-ish university? Ishpeople) and have my teacher mention the extenuating circumstances which led me to get that E in the first place.

Sorry for the drawn-out question, but it's just been troubling me, damn surprise E

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axevolution)
    So come results day I received ABE, with the E being quite the surprise. Basically in the first Unit I got a B but on the morning of the Unit 2 exam, due to some personal issues, I was 30 minutes late to the exam and everything kind of went downhill from there; got a U. I'm confident that by just retaking that exam I can bring the grade up to A/B (Doing the same with the other B, grr history) and that I can convince my teacher to predict me an A for the E subject, all things considered. My question: As long as I'm predicted the right grades will I still be considered despite my AS results? This is of course taking into consideration the best PS I can muster and hopefully a good LNAT score (I want to study law at, hopefully, a top-ish university? Ishpeople) and have my teacher mention the extenuating circumstances which led me to get that E in the first place.

Sorry for the drawn-out question, but it's just been troubling me, damn surprise E

These are AS grades, yes?

Did you only do 3 AS subjects (that could impact on the universities that you can apply to)

Generally
    Universities will look at your predicted grades
    If they believe them then they will make offers
    If they do not believe them because they are a lot higher than AS then they will look to your GCSE grades to confirm ability and your reference to determine the reasons for under-performance

In reality you PS can make a big difference - if they like what they read they will be more interested in you as a candidate

SO
    your grades will not prevent offers as long as they can see past them to great grades

ReputationRep:

The thing about predicted grades is that they have to be believable to the universities. A massive jump from E to A is not going to be, unless your teachers can justify it in your reference with very detailed reasons why you didn't achieve it the first time round. Having got the offer, you still have to achieve it and as you can see from the threads here, losing that treasured offer at the last hurdle is very painful. Be realistic in what you apply for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    These are AS grades, yes?

Did you only do 3 AS subjects (that could impact on the universities that you can apply to)

Generally
    Universities will look at your predicted grades
    If they believe them then they will make offers
    If they do not believe them because they are a lot higher than AS then they will look to your GCSE grades to confirm ability and your reference to determine the reasons for under-performance

In reality you PS can make a big difference - if they like what they read they will be more interested in you as a candidate

SO
    your grades will not prevent offers as long as they can see past them to great grades
    Yes AS - sorry clarification.

Yeah I only did 3 AS subjects; my sixth form was a little lackluster when it came to subjects I wanted to study, but I found out midway through the year I could independently study Spanish AS (No one told me) which I'm going to do this coming year, should that be okay?

Thanks for the help, it was just worrying me a tad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    The thing about predicted grades is that they have to be believable to the universities. A massive jump from E to A is not going to be, unless your teachers can justify it in your reference with very detailed reasons why you didn't achieve it the first time round. Having got the offer, you still have to achieve it and as you can see from the threads here, losing that treasured offer at the last hurdle is very painful. Be realistic in what you apply for.
    No I completely understand that an E to an A seems unrealistic really - this is really why I wanted to know if it can be justified through reference and extenuating circumstances. I'm my Mother's primary carer, on the morning of this particular exam she had a fall, I was 30 minutes late to the exam and the stress of the morning just took it's toll :/

ReputationRep:
    No I completely understand that an E to an A seems unrealistic really - this is really why I wanted to know if it can be justified through reference and extenuating circumstances. I'm my Mother's primary carer, on the morning of this particular exam she had a fall, I was 30 minutes late to the exam and the stress of the morning just took it's toll :/
    Then as long as your teachers are fully aware of the circumstances, they should be able to spin it positively. Did you apply for special consideration at the time? (Not that it usually works out at very much, tbh.)

ReputationRep:
    Yes AS - sorry clarification.

Yeah I only did 3 AS subjects; my sixth form was a little lackluster when it came to subjects I wanted to study, but I found out midway through the year I could independently study Spanish AS (No one told me) which I'm going to do this coming year, should that be okay?

Thanks for the help, it was just worrying me a tad.
    The Spanish would help but not if it is to the detriment of your A2 courses so decide on teh best balance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    Then as long as your teachers are fully aware of the circumstances, they should be able to spin it positively. Did you apply for special consideration at the time? (Not that it usually works out at very much, tbh.)
    No I never bothered with SC; my tutor informed me that it rarely worked out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    The Spanish would help but not if it is to the detriment of your A2 courses so decide on teh best balance
    I actually spent a fair few years in Spain, and while I'm a bit rusty, it shouldn't be a hindrance, thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    I actually spent a fair few years in Spain, and while I'm a bit rusty, it shouldn't be a hindrance, thanks for the help
    ok

ReputationRep:
    No I never bothered with SC; my tutor informed me that it rarely worked out.
    That's pretty true. It's not the magic wand people on TSR sometimes hope and believe it is.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.