The Student Room Group

Which laptop for a computer science student?

Hello, I'm starting a maths+cs degree in September and I figured a laptop will be a pretty essential tool, as of now I only have a desktop. I was wondering what kind of spec I will need. I'm not sure how much computing power I will need over the three years but for now all I can see is needing it for programming / LaTeX and of course music/ video/ internet so I would like something with good multitasking ability. I'm not sure if I'll do anything at any point in my degree which will require a higher spec, perhaps somebody could enlighten me and recommend some machines, thanks!

Edit: Budget ~£600
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by j1i9s9s5
Hello, I'm starting a maths+cs degree in September and I figured a laptop will be a pretty essential tool, as of now I only have a desktop. I was wondering what kind of spec I will need. I'm not sure how much computing power I will need over the three years but for now all I can see is needing it for programming / LaTeX and of course music/ video/ internet so I would like something with good multitasking ability. I'm not sure if I'll do anything at any point in my degree which will require a higher spec, perhaps somebody could enlighten me and recommend some machines, thanks!

Check this thread and the links, they are pretty good...............I would say minimum i5 laptop for that extra power boost.
i7 may come in handy but most likely during the last year when doing serious programming, essentially when it comes to compiling a huge program, especially related to GUI, etc. But a i5 will be able to handle it..............i5 is good enough for everything else, apart from serious video editing and serious gaming if you plan on it, as the laptops in the thread have no dedicated gpu.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2436281

Although not a laptop I'd recommend budgeting for a 1440p monitor for coding. High res screen are probably essential as the work get more complicated and will help on a day to day basis anyhow. Also without a budget given we can't help much.
Reply 3
Original post by Iqbal007
Check this thread and the links, they are pretty good...............I would say minimum i5 laptop for that extra power boost.
i7 may come in handy but most likely during the last year when doing serious programming, essentially when it comes to compiling a huge program, especially related to GUI, etc. But a i5 will be able to handle it..............i5 is good enough for everything else, apart from serious video editing and serious gaming if you plan on it, as the laptops in the thread have no dedicated gpu.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2436281

Original post by Rainingshame
Although not a laptop I'd recommend budgeting for a 1440p monitor for coding. High res screen are probably essential as the work get more complicated and will help on a day to day basis anyhow. Also without a budget given we can't help much.

Ah, my budget is £600 roughly, probably a bit less if I can help it.
Reply 4
You don't actually need a laptop for university, even if you're studying computer science.

I'll be starting Chester University in September doing computer science. I was told that I would be have access to the PC's and Macs in the library 24/7. However, I will be taking my laptop with me just in case I need it. Plus, you can watch TV / Movies on it and just browse the internet whilst you're in your room.
Reply 5
Ah, my budget is £600 roughly, probably a bit less if I can help it.

Have a look at the link I gave, its another thread, its similar to your needs, and check out the links, theres a lot of good deals on.

Original post by Matt Hamer
You don't actually need a laptop for university, even if you're studying computer science.

I'll be starting Chester University in September doing computer science. I was told that I would be have access to the PC's and Macs in the library 24/7. However, I will be taking my laptop with me just in case I need it. Plus, you can watch TV / Movies on it and just browse the internet whilst you're in your room.

Not true, its worse if you don't have a dedicated department computer facility for comp sci.............during non-lab hours you may be able to pick up a computer, however other times no computers at all, which is certainly the issue during study leave and exam time, either you wake up really early or not have a computer.

Its also a hamper if you plan on group work or wanting to work in a alternative environment, a laptop is pretty much essential at uni, even at my uni we have a dedicated place for us only and even then there are days we can get no access to them to do work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending