Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hand luggage - ridiculous allowances! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

I'm flying Ryanair, then Wizz a few weeks after on two separate trips, both are weekend's away, so essentially 3 nights.

What can you fit in something that is just 42x32x25cm (Wizz) or 55cm x 40cm x 20cm (Ryanair). This seems absolutely tiny, obviously I want to take a toiletry bag and spare t-shirt/pair of socks.

It is best just wearing 2 jackets, to get around the these allowances and carry stuff like my camera on my person?

ReputationRep:
    Just learn to pack light. Why would you need 2 jackets when you're only going away for 3 nights? I can easily pack for around 5 nights (probably 7 if I was going somewhere warm and didn't need extra jackets and layers) within those restrictions, and I'm a girl! I have a very lightweight wheeled suitcase that fits into all budget airline specifications. Packing properly (i.e. rolling and not folding) I can fit lots in there. I usually even manage a spare pair of shoes, by wearing the bulkiest ones on the flight. I also always wear/carry my coat or jacket rather than packing it. Obviously with liquids they need to be in <100ml containers anyway so toiletries shouldn't take up a huge amount of space.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm sure you can fit all those things into that space (unless you have a very bulky SLR with lots of lenses, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Really? I flew with Ryanair a few weeks ago, stayed away for 7 nights and packed everything I needed into my hand luggage. Just pack light - you don't need much for 3 days at all.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

What is the weight in Kilograms are you allowed? Or is it just a case of fitting what you can in the sizes given.

ReputationRep:
    RyanAir's allowance is fine - I've managed 3 weeks-long trips with my RyanAir allowance. WizzAir however, is another kettle of fish. I'm off to Budapest tomorrow with them (to start a 3 week interrailing trip) and had to pay £15 for a "large cabin bag" because the free one is ridiculously small! I am a very light packer, so I will not be travelling with WizzAir again, if possible! Although I'm sure for a weekend you can still get away with it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChapelTom)
    Hi all

I'm flying Ryanair, then Wizz a few weeks after on two separate trips, both are weekend's away, so essentially 3 nights.

What can you fit in something that is just 42x32x25cm (Wizz) or 55cm x 40cm x 20cm (Ryanair). This seems absolutely tiny, obviously I want to take a toiletry bag and spare t-shirt/pair of socks.

It is best just wearing 2 jackets, to get around the these allowances and carry stuff like my camera on my person?
    Easily!

I went away to Spain for 7 days with a tiny bag. My toiletry bag consisted of a few little bottles (100 mL) - shampoo, shower gel, hair gel, and a little deodorant.
    Had a couple of shorts and 6 changes of shirts / socks / undies. I had one hoodie with me which I wore on myself along with a DSLR - that thing weighs a tonne and I didn't want it being thrown around in my bag. I think I also had a pair of slippers in there as well, and a beach towel

Took 10kg there and 10kg back.

I also went to Bulgaria for 2 weeks with the same suitcase.

With you only going away for 3 days/nights. It's definitely doable!

ReputationRep:
    I travelled for over a month using just hand luggage and I never encountered any problems with ryan air's (or any other cheap air line's) restrictions. Just plan your outfits and only pack what is really necessary.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.