Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I have a selection day for nursing on Tuesday. Although I have an outline for the day, is there anyone who could give me a heads up or idea about what it will be like n how best to prepare. I really wanna secure a place.

Also, I have a degree in biomedical science, will they still require information about my A Levels and GCSES which I took in 2004-2006?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hennyg)
    Hello all,

I have a selection day for nursing on Tuesday. Although I have an outline for the day, is there anyone who could give me a heads up or idea about what it will be like n how best to prepare. I really wanna secure a place.

Also, I have a degree in biomedical science, will they still require information about my A Levels and GCSES which I took in 2004-2006?
    Hi, I've got a place for adult nursing at Notts- my advice would be to read up on current nursing issues and make sure you can articulate the personal qualities/skills of a good nurse and how you demonstrate those. It's a group interview and it really isn't bad at all! Just be confident and make sure you contribute to the discussion.

I think they will want to see your A Levels and GCSEs, I had to take my secondary school qualifications in even though I already have a degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey I have a degree too and was originally interviewed for the GEN which was a one-on-one interview but after they offered me a place I switched to the BSc. So I can't help directly but I had a group interview for Manchester University which sounds quite similar to this one.
    I would recommend dressing smartly; I wore black trousers and a pin striped shirt. You could still get away with dressing casual and presentable, but it helps you to stand out if you are dressed smartly.
    It's also good to find a good balance; don't be too quiet and don't be too vocal. You don't want to dominate the conversation, nor do you want to have no contribution to it.
    The limitation of group interviews means you can't have an original answer to a question unless you're asked first, so if you were going to say what the person before you answered, still go with that rather than going into a panic to think of an alternative, but maybe develop it a bit more or give your own example.
    Stick to the usual rules of conversation; don't interrupt anyone or correct anyone.
    Read up on the latest news in the NHS, especially the reputation of nurses.
    They will no doubt ask you questions about why you want to be a nurse, why you think you'd be a good nurse, how you will balance placement/academic work, how you will deal with death or what will be the hardest part of nursing to overcome etc.
    Apply all of your work experience to nursing, even if it is something like retail. Retail demonstrates communication skills and team work.
    Most of all, be confident

As for your qualifications, you will need to bring your GCSE's & A - level certificates - they needed to see mine and took a photocopy of them. Ofc bring your degree results as well. Also bring all your ID documents for the CRB (or DBS as it is now called?) check - passport, proof of address, bank card/national insurance card etc.

Anyway, good luck! Hopefully see you in September!

Let me know if you want to know anything else. I passed all of the interviews I had so would like to help other people out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.