Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

lol @ my friend who thinks he's smart than me Watch

ReputationRep:
    lol

I got A* A* A in my results the other day and am going to LSE to do BA Geography (I didn't have maths otherwise I'd def have gotten into do Economics or something that would lead to investment banking)

My friend got ABB and is going to Cardiff or somewhere (I know its in Scotland somehwere) to do Geology.

The other day he said to me when we were talking about jobs and I mentioned the investment banking thing and the Economics degree at LSE (I am trying to see if there is a way I can internally transfer to the Economics course).

I can't believe what he said, he said "you did very well with your A-levels, but if they ask for maths A-level you might not be able to cope with the mathematical content since you didn't do it"

I was like, "lol, mate, you got ABB, who are you to say that I can't cope, I have two graes higher than you in two subjects".

Should have saw his reaction lol

Then he said "sorry, I didn't mean it like that, I just meant you may need a grounding in maths before you do the course".

I was like "yeah sure, you're just jealous that I'm off to LSE and will get a way better job than you will cause LSE is ranked way higher than any silly university in Scotland,lol"

He seemed confused at this, (ABB after all, why was I supprised? lol) and said "I'm going to Cardiff, what the hell are you talking about"

And I was like "lol yeah my point exactly, not only are you going to the most boring, dark, grey, wettest region of the which is so far north it is freezing even in summer, you are going to study bloody rocks, what sort of job will you even get from that lol?

He was supper pissed by this stage and stormed off shaking his head and said "you are a ****".

I know it was his fault in the first place, trying to crush my dreams of getting into investment banking (jealous likely). But he is my only friend and even though he isn't as smart as me, I've been quite bored since we fell out. He's been going out celebrating his ABB (not sure why) and I've been stuck inside cause he was my only gateway into parties etc cause no one else ever bothers with me really.

Should I apologise to him even though it was his fault?

ReputationRep:
    Which a levels did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    smarter*

ReputationRep:
    well this is embarrassing...

i think my 5 year old cousin could troll better.

ReputationRep:
    You're doing Geography and you think Cardiff is in Scotland? Hehe

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    lol

I got A* A* A in my results the other day and am going to LSE to do BA Geography (I didn't have maths otherwise I'd def have gotten into do Economics or something that would lead to investment banking)

My friend got ABB and is going to Cardiff or somewhere (I know its in Scotland somehwere) to do Geology.

The other day he said to me when we were talking about jobs and I mentioned the investment banking thing and the Economics degree at LSE (I am trying to see if there is a way I can internally transfer to the Economics course).

I can't believe what he said, he said "you did very well with your A-levels, but if they ask for maths A-level you might not be able to cope with the mathematical content since you didn't do it"

I was like, "lol, mate, you got ABB, who are you to say that I can't cope, I have two graes higher than you in two subjects".

Then he said "sorry, I didn't mean it like that, I just meant you may need a grounding in maths before you do the course".

I was like "yeah sure, you're just jealous that I'm off to LSE and will get a way better job than you will cause LSE is ranked way higher than any silly university in Scotland,lol"

He seemed confused at this, (ABB after all, why was I supprised? lol) and said "I'm going to Cardiff, what the hell are you talking about"

And I was like "lol yeah my point exactly, not only are you going to the most boring, dark, grey, wettest region of the which is so far north it is freezing even in summer, you are going to study bloody rocks, what sort of job will you even get from that lol?

He was supper pissed by this stage and stormed off shaking his head and said "you are a ****".

I know it was his fault in the first place, trying to crush my dreams of getting into investment banking (jealous likely). But he is my only friend and even though he isn't as smart as me, I've been quite bored since we fell out. He's been going out celebrating his ABB (not sure why) and I've been stuck inside cause he was my only gateway into parties etc cause no one else ever bothers with me really.

lol stop being ***** both of you, also learn to spell *smarter

You're mainly a **** for judging someone on their A-level grades + also rejecting the idea that he has a valid point
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    lol

Isn't Cardiff in Wales? And surely a friend suggesting that you have a better foundation in maths isn't him suggesting that he's smarter than you.
    Am I missing something?

ReputationRep:
    He was right. A lack of Maths A Level would almost definitely prevent you transferring to Economics as it is highly mathematical, and your "Hurr durr you got ABB" is a silly ad hominem argument that detracts nothing from his actual point.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    He was right. A lack of Maths A Level would almost definitely prevent you transferring to Economics as it is highly mathematical, and your "Hurr durr you got ABB" is a silly ad hominem argument that detracts nothing from his actual point.
    D'accord!

ReputationRep:
    That was hilarious. I'm sure your friend is 'smart' than you, even though you had better 'graes' than him, and he'll have a blast in Cardiff, which as you know, is of course in Scotland

ReputationRep:
    He wasn't offending you in any way or form, you were just misinterpreting him.

You should definitely apologise. All he has done is say that you didn't take a very mathematical subject in A-Level. In no way is he saying that you are stupid.

Since, taking economics does in fact require a lot of maths.

If I was in your shoes, I would be 0% offended.

ReputationRep:
    This can't possibly be serious. If it is serious then OP needs to look into the possibility that he might be autistic.

ReputationRep:
    He will be in Ireland or whatever having a terrible time (Cardiff is well bad). So he will be begging you to forgive him before long. Meanwhile you will easy get into banking and shirt, cant have too much to do with numbers and maths I fink.

Also lmfao at him celebrating ABB #specialperson

ReputationRep:
    lol

Well done. LSE Geography is a great course, one Ive been looking at. I'd just ignore this guy. LSE is 3rd in the UK, Cardiff is in the 30s I think for rankings, so you're obviously doing better there.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S6500

lol

What he was saying was correct. I'm not surprised he got pissed off when he was right.

OP, forget about transferring to the Economics course. It is very maths-based. Have you even seen the course content, or were you just blinded by the fact it could lead to a career in IB?

Many people with Maths/Further Maths A-levels get rejected from BSc Economics at LSE.

You're extremely arrogant, and just because you got two grades higher than him doesn't make you smarter than you.

ReputationRep:
      Make sure the first map you colour in is of the UK...

ReputationRep:
      Yeah, anyone that thinks he's smart than you must be dead wrong, right?

ReputationRep:
      I'd love LSE to see this and withdraw your offer for not knowing where Cardiff is located, surely the years of colouring in the UK map should have indicated where Cardiff is :holmes:

ReputationRep:
      Is this a joke? I genuinely can't tell..

"He's been going out celebrating his ABB (not sure why)".... Are you actually being serious?

Since when were A-Level results a competition, geeeez.

Cardiff is in Wales.

(Original post by Dragonfly07)
        This can't possibly be serious. If it is serious then OP needs to look into the possibility that he might be autistic.
        Autistic? What makes you think that?

He's just being incredibly patronising and arrogant.

I'm not autistic myself, but that can come across as offensive to people who are autistic - unless you've got some basis for your reasoning.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources
      AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.