Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Teacher trying to stop me from going to uni! Watch

ReputationRep:
    a teacher at college tried to say how i can't go to uni as i won't get the grades. he then went on to say how he 'had a word' with all my teachers and 'they agreed' that i shouldn't go to uni. on my last day of college i was joking around like normal having a laugh with a friend and the same teacher. the teacher happened to walk of and mutter to my friend 'you should get him to go back to his country' and my friend gave the 'haha very funny but not funny' smile.

the same teacher asked about my grades, how much my parents earned, most of the students on my course that haven't made enough grades to go to uni are considering to do a HND and some even have achieved lower grades than me, i am brought up to respect my elders and to never answer back to them. the same teacher has always never really liked me. he even knows why i want to go to uni badly and all. he convinced me to work, but i had decided to go to uni after a year of work. i have also said that i'd do functional skills if i didn't get a C in my retakes of GCSE English. from the tone of his voice i could understand that he never wanted me to go to uni. it's funny how at school all my teachers helped me decide what to do at college, even they known that i wouldn't get a C in english. i asked him to help me on one unit to upgrade my final grade, as i was doing a btec and not a levels, i said i'd even do another btec/a levels to upgrade my ucas points. after he found out, he'd always try to convince me that i shouldn't go, why would someone i wouldn't ever see again or what not think they can convince me not to better myself. why would a teacher at college not want you to go uni?

ReputationRep:
    Seriously :eek:? Why would a teacher bring a student down like that? You should prove him wrong!

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I take things my teachers say the wrong way and if I understand what they mean and I'm not happy with it I'll tell them, if you're not happy just tell them seriously. What grades are you working at? (if you don't mind me asking) he might have assumed you may struggle at uni- though he could have made a sensible suggestion like a foundation course or something similar. Regarding that unit, did you ever ask why he didn't let you work on it? why did you not talk to the head of dept about it?

Teachers are human, sometimes they may say things you don't like but think about it, perhaps your teacher had a good reason for saying what he did. If you really want to prove it to him, work hard and get into uni and prove him wrong.

I'm all for the respect elders things, but if you feel that someone isn't respecting you then why do they deserve respect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confusedstudent9)
    a teacher at college tried to say how i can't go to uni as i won't get the grades. he then went on to say how he 'had a word' with all my teachers and 'they agreed' that i shouldn't go to uni. on my last day of college i was joking around like normal having a laugh with a friend and the same teacher. the teacher happened to walk of and mutter to my friend 'you should get him to go back to his country' and my friend gave the 'haha very funny but not funny' smile.

the same teacher asked about my grades, how much my parents earned, most of the students on my course that haven't made enough grades to go to uni are considering to do a HND and some even have achieved lower grades than me, i am brought up to respect my elders and to never answer back to them. the same teacher has always never really liked me. he even knows why i want to go to uni badly and all. he convinced me to work, but i had decided to go to uni after a year of work. i have also said that i'd do functional skills if i didn't get a C in my retakes of GCSE English. from the tone of his voice i could understand that he never wanted me to go to uni. it's funny how at school all my teachers helped me decide what to do at college, even they known that i wouldn't get a C in english. i asked him to help me on one unit to upgrade my final grade, as i was doing a btec and not a levels, i said i'd even do another btec/a levels to upgrade my ucas points. after he found out, he'd always try to convince me that i shouldn't go, why would someone i wouldn't ever see again or what not think they can convince me not to better myself. why would a teacher at college not want you to go uni?
    Report him for misconduct. I don't want to make assumptions, but from what you've written, it sounds like he's belittling you because of where you are from. A racist perhaps?

Speak to another teacher about it, and whatever happens, do not let him ruin your aspirations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silent Witness)
    Report him for misconduct. I don't want to make assumptions, but from what you've written, it sounds like he's belittling you because of where you are from. A racist perhaps?

Speak to another teacher about it, and whatever happens, do not let him ruin your aspirations.
    i was thinking the same. someone else who got say, infact, others who got worser grades than me are going to go uni, thats what is upsetting me atm.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.