The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by techno836
haha oh dear :facepalm: i like majority of my teachers :colondollar: but i guess it matters a lot more if they like you :colondollar:

hahaha enjoy the wait :frown: :yy:

I guess you like being the teacher favourite then... :tongue: :laugh:
Reply 2981
Original post by EvasiveRose
I guess you like being the teacher favourite then... :tongue: :laugh:

haha not entirely but i do find the student-teacher bond very important to success :h: and i'm not always the favourite :rolleyes: but i am in maths and science definitely ;D haha :lol:
Original post by NikolaT
Oh my god, first day of AS levels.

What. The. Hell.

Just looking through the pages in my C1/C2 Maths textbook creates a sickly feeling in my stomach. D:

Is it too late to drop out of Sixth Form and become a rapper instead?

SAME
I'm gonna die :frown:
I think I'll become a binwoman

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow! You guys are starting Sixth Form quite late compared to mine. I start next week on the 3rd, but I'm really excited because I got into the Sixth Form I wanted to and I just love the subjects I'm going to take.
Original post by YanaIguana
Just a bit there. :P I personally don't agree with abortion as he/she is a potential life which will develop their own personality. It seem cruel to take it away. I understand that scientists say that in the first few weeks it's painless, but it's a life that could go on to do great things.

However, there are difficult situations when it comes to this topic. Disabilities and medical issues can pose a big problem, but it can work out. I remember watching a documentary on a couple who have dwarfism who went on to have four children, only one was passed on the genes, but they all lived a prosperous life and the children didn't mind the situation they were in. Their parents where still "normal" parents to them.

Then comes the issue of rape, but I believe the child can be given up for adoption. This can be risky as many people say adoption is either hit or miss for the child, but it's better to give them a chance in my opinion.

I wasn't expecting quite a thought out response as the one given, but it looks great - your views create a good standpoint for me to discuss this with you.

However, the idea of a soul is one you seem to have circumvented. The mother goes through a lot of strain in the 9 months leading up to childbirth, the birth itself, and then caring for the child while it's still a (cute) little infant. A lot of physical, emotional, and physiological pain. All by herself.

And I believe she has the right to ask for an abortion if she should wish. I'm not saying that it should provide an alternative to contraception, but I'm saying I'd prefer the law to be slanted in preference of abortion rather than against it.

This is largely due to my belief in an everlasting soul; that the true Self of the child isn't, or can't, ever be destroyed. In addition, there's the idea of predeterminism which I believe in. If a child is aborted... then it may have been for the best.

With any luck, I'm surrounded by intelligent people who would welcome my viewpoint rather than instantly shout 'BABYKILLER' as happens on other online communities which I've been a part of. :smile:
Reply 2985
Hurry up Thursday, I want to see how everything is going to work!
I would like to take on an English degree at university and really needed another essay based subject. I think Classical Civilisation is so broad and exciting. I'm particularly looking forward to study the architecture side of it. :smile:

haha not entirely but i do find the student-teacher bond very important to success :h: and i'm not always the favourite :rolleyes: but i am in maths and science definitely ;D haha :lol:

An English degree sounds nice and who wouldn't like studying a bit of architecture :biggrin:

Who wouldn't. I was only the favourite in English, French and ICT (other subjects I didn't have much bond with the teachers as I refused to participate unless asked :tongue:)
Reply 2987
Original post by Lucas.
I'm enroling tommorow, starting September 9th, and get my timetable that morning... I just want to start now. :frown:

Good luck and have fun (if that's possible)...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2988
An English degree sounds nice and who wouldn't like studying a bit of architecture :biggrin:

Who wouldn't. I was only the favourite in English, French and ICT (other subjects I didn't have much bond with the teachers as I refused to participate unless asked :tongue:)

haha i was liked by all teachers except one :unimpressed: .. but not favourite :P .. one teacher i was undecided as she wouldn't give me above 17 in any english CA, even after 2 re-sits :frown:
3k posts before the year has even started :lol:
I'd like to think I was generally liked by most of my teachers. I didn' t talk much and just got on with the work :laugh:
Liked but not favourite :tongue:
What did this 1 teacher have against you? :eyebrow:
So I'm guessing this other teacher gave you low coursemarks, yet was very friendly with you. Interesting...
Original post by NikolaT
I wasn't expecting quite a thought out response as the one given, but it looks great - your views create a good standpoint for me to discuss this with you.

However, the idea of a soul is one you seem to have circumvented. The mother goes through a lot of strain in the 9 months leading up to childbirth, the birth itself, and then caring for the child while it's still a (cute) little infant. A lot of physical, emotional, and physiological pain. All by herself.

And I believe she has the right to ask for an abortion if she should wish. I'm not saying that it should provide an alternative to contraception, but I'm saying I'd prefer the law to be slanted in preference of abortion rather than against it.

This is largely due to my belief in an everlasting soul; that the true Self of the child isn't, or can't, ever be destroyed. In addition, there's the idea of predeterminism which I believe in. If a child is aborted... then it may have been for the best.

With any luck, I'm surrounded by intelligent people who would welcome my viewpoint rather than instantly shout 'BABYKILLER' as happens on other online communities which I've been a part of. :smile:

Don't worry I take other people's view point into consideration :P

To continue, the mother does go through a lot of strain. But, in the circumstances of a planned pregnancy, or a pregnancy that a mother is willing to go through, the mother takes this as a loving consequence. After being together for 9 months, a mother may learn to love the baby through a 'shock' pregnancy. She may be willing to give her a child a chance to grow up in her care. Also, I do agree with contraception, it does prevent a life but it's not killing a life.

I like your idea of predetermination. I believe it in some cases (dare I say I may have even gone through it to a slight extent), but it erases the theory that free will exists, which I admit scares me.
Reply 2992
Original post by Mr.Nor
Good luck and have fun (if that's possible)...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. :wink:

Hopefully it'll all go swimmingly. :smile:
Original post by Dinasaurus
Bastille and Two Door Cinema Club.

Nope, I've been to some Creole events in the Seychelles when I was younger and there were some Mauritian acts there, but I'm not too into the Creole music style, but it's quite energetic and vibrant.

I've never heard of them, but that would be probably because I don't listen to music so much.

They have the mauritiun live festivals here in london.
They're held once every year.
I have never really been to one though because they don't interest me.
I just felt like asking if you go to them. :tongue:

I think I want to be a novelist right now but would like to take a broad subject. I was set in becoming a veterinary surgeon for so long but can't do that anymore for various reasons. :frown: I've been changing my mind a lot with job prospects, but when the idea of a novelist came round it seemed perfect to me. I also love English (though I only discovered that quite recently) and it'll be very interesting to study it at university.
Reply 2995
I'd like to think I was generally liked by most of my teachers. I didn' t talk much and just got on with the work :laugh:
Liked but not favourite :tongue:
What did this 1 teacher have against you? :eyebrow:
So I'm guessing this other teacher gave you low coursemarks, yet was very friendly with you. Interesting...

i have no idea :sigh: she just hated me :frown: OH WAIT there's another who hated me, but she left :colondollar:

and that's exactly what she did ..and i would say low 17/20 but no matter what i did i couldn't get 18 even if i asked what i need to include and then included it
I think I want to be a novelist right now but would like to take a broad subject. I was set in becoming a veterinary surgeon for so long but can't do that anymore for various reasons. :frown: I've been changing my mind a lot with job prospects, but when the idea of a novelist came round it seemed perfect to me. I also love English (though I only discovered that quite recently) and it'll be very interesting to study it at university.

i have no idea :sigh: she just hated me :frown: OH WAIT there's another who hated me, but she left :colondollar:

and that's exactly what she did ..and i would say low 17/20 but no matter what i did i couldn't get 18 even if i asked what i need to include and then included it

A novelist sounds great (who knows, in the future I may be reading one of your books :tongue:)
And it's great that you finally found an occupation that appeals to you

Hates a strong word. More like disliked you :tongue:
17/20 is a good score :angry:
Don't worry I take other people's view point into consideration :P

To continue, the mother does go through a lot of strain. But, in the circumstances of a planned pregnancy, or a pregnancy that a mother is willing to go through, the mother takes this as a loving consequence. After being together for 9 months, a mother may learn to love the baby through a 'shock' pregnancy. She may be willing to give her a child a chance to grow up in her care. Also, I do agree with contraception, it does prevent a life but it's not killing a life.

Oh, of course! If the mother wants to keep the child, then that's absolutely amazing! All I'm saying is, she should have an equal opportunity to fully explore her other options (e.g. abortion, adoption, foster care).

I like your idea of predetermination. I believe it in some cases (dare I say I may have even gone through it to a slight extent), but it erases the theory that free will exists, which I admit scares me.

Another kettle of fish :wink:.

Just bear in mind the fact that all of your actions to this day have had consequences: whether good, bad or neutral. And from this, you can deduce that everything you will ever do will have consequences too. The future belongs to those who shape it, right? I believe actions have consequences, but not so much that they should affect our behaviour: for instance, I only support the idea of predeterminism to the extent that people shouldn't think they can just kill someone with the excuse of ' it was Fate' or other divine intervention.

To apply it to abortion, for all we know, the abortion could've been a good thing. What if the child had to die in a wrecked car accident (per chance) 18 months after it was born? It would have ruined the mother's life completely... would it not be better to have the mother decide herself, if she thought it wise, that she couldn't support a child and needed an abortion before being faced with the above scenario? Both are occasions of severe grief and trauma, but which would you rather be in?
3 days left of summer. :O
A novelist sounds great (who knows, in the future I may be reading one of your books :tongue:)
And it's great that you finally found an occupation that appeals to you

Hates a strong word. More like disliked you :tongue:
17/20 is a good score :angry:

Maybe xD What occupation are you thinking about? :smile:

Latest