The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm finding A level Maths somewhat challenging, Physics is ok, Biology so far isn't that hard, just remembering some facts. Chemistry, I am in love with. I simply adore the subject so far, read ahead to a point where I just answer every question in every lesson, it's great.
Original post by Lucas.
Genuinely thoroughly enjoyed that! I have no interest in sport whatsoever, but there's just something that's so interesting about both what you showed me and the Brian Clough documentary...

If you've got a free 4 minutes, do you want to watch this?

That video just gets me stoked on... just life in general. :tongue:

Those guys aren't even that well known (although having said that, they are massive in their scene). They just saved up enough money in part time jobs so they could tour the world with their band. I want to be like those guys. :biggrin:

Glad you liked it! :biggrin: It's good to watch videos like this to get you motivated and restore your faith in humanity again :tongue: ...... Brian Clough was a footballer?.... NONONO xD

I've got nothing but time :tongue: Not a bad video, It would be nice going around the world with friends just messing around and doing what you love, you can pick up on their care free attitude, you enjoy life more, I'd do just that, but in a car!
Reply 4384
Original post by Katie97
Sounds like the same with me and psychology. It sucks because a teacher makes or breaks a subject for me! Have you had an ethics lesson yet? Last years year 12 hated ethics so I'm not looking forward to it:erm: What other subjects do you take?

Yeah had my ethics today :smile: I actually did a year at college and came back to my shool's sixth form and my teacher was my R.E teacher in years 10 & 11. I got an A with his as my teacher so hopefully I'll do really well on the ethics side. He has a good sense of humour and is a great teacher. Ethics is a lot like GCSE R.E, it covers a lot of topics on moral issues such as Abortion, Sex & everyday issues.

The A levels I'm currently doing are Philosophy and ethics, English language, Travel & tourism & Media studies so I have quite a mixture. I like writing & essay based subjects as you can probably tell haha
Reply 4385
If your good at maths,I got a B in Gcse + a B in Further Maths (involves some A-level stuff) and okay at core gcse physics and additional science, is physics for me? because Chemistry seems difficult& I can't see Biology benefiting me in any way
and Is a-level german really hard compared to geography? I'm not sure which one i'll enjoy or do well in
I got an A in german, and A in Humanities but never done Geography in GCSE's
Reply 4386
Original post by Hashi22
If your good at maths,I got a B in Gcse + a B in Further Maths (involves some A-level stuff) and okay at core gcse physics and additional science, is physics for me? because Chemistry seems difficult& I can't see Biology benefiting me in any way
and Is a-level german really hard compared to geography? I'm not sure which one i'll enjoy or do well in
I got an A in german, and A in Humanities but never done Geography in GCSE's

I don't think you have to do geography at GCSE to do it at A-level. My teacher said that the people who didn't do it at GCSE would be at no disadvantage to those that have and it's a great subject to have! :smile:
Reply 4387
Original post by iJess
Yeah had my ethics today :smile: I actually did a year at college and came back to my shool's sixth form and my teacher was my R.E teacher in years 10 & 11. I got an A with his as my teacher so hopefully I'll do really well on the ethics side. He has a good sense of humour and is a great teacher. Ethics is a lot like GCSE R.E, it covers a lot of topics on moral issues such as Abortion, Sex & everyday issues.

The A levels I'm currently doing are Philosophy and ethics, English language, Travel & tourism & Media studies so I have quite a mixture. I like writing & essay based subjects as you can probably tell haha

Ohh, a few people who went to the local college have been slowly coming back to our school's sixth form in dribs and drabs these last few days. They hate on the place yet they miss it when they're gone! :wink: Sounds good! Ahh, never had my ethics teacher before though!

Interesting. Me too. I love essay based subjects. You can ramble on with yourself a bit more:innocent:.
Reply 4388
Original post by Katie97
I don't think you have to do geography at GCSE to do it at A-level. My teacher said that the people who didn't do it at GCSE would be at no disadvantage to those that have and it's a great subject to have! :smile:

Do you know anyone that has done A-level German?
Reply 4389
Original post by Hashi22

No, they don't offer German as a GCSE or A-level at my school.
Reply 4390
Original post by Katie97
Ohh, a few people who went to the local college have been slowly coming back to our school's sixth form in dribs and drabs these last few days. They hate on the place yet they miss it when they're gone! :wink: Sounds good! Ahh, never had my ethics teacher before though!

Interesting. Me too. I love essay based subjects. You can ramble on with yourself a bit more:innocent:.

Haha I did that in my English GCSE's, just rambled on about nonsense and got 2 B's, don't think I can do that in my AS exams though unfortunately :frown:
Reply 4391
Original post by Hashi22

I'm starting it on Monday if that helps? :tongue:
Reply 4392
Original post by techno836
Welcome to the new current year 12 thread, our home for the next year. (We’re now in the A Level forum :woo: )! that must mean we have matured :eek: :wink: This is the start of 2 very important years for us and A levels can be hard but that won't scare us! We have a high target to beat last year’s year 12s so let's all work hard :sogood:

Below is a list of subjects and exam boards that we are all taking, I'm sure it will be useful when you need somebody to help you :h: (Newcomers please quote me if you wish to be added :h: )

Subjects

Scottish Highers

Make sure you work your hardest all year and I'm sure the next results day will be fine, and in order to work hard here are some useful links below ( I'll add some more as I find them :smile:

http://www.examsolutions.co.uk - For Maths :smile:
http://www.Chemguide.co.uk - For Chemistry :smile:

And Finally if you have any query about A-level Choices or University choices make sure you ask/quote L'evil Fish or drop him a PM :smile: I will also answer any regarding Medicine or direct you to more helpful thread :h:

Best of luck for the forthcoming year! :h: :cool:

Can you add me to the first page :smile: I'm doing philosophy & ethics on OCR, I'm also doing travel & tourism, media and english language
Reply 4393
Original post by Glitch96
Glad you liked it! :biggrin: It's good to watch videos like this to get you motivated and restore your faith in humanity again :tongue: ...... Brian Clough was a footballer?.... NONONO xD

I've got nothing but time :tongue: Not a bad video, It would be nice going around the world with friends just messing around and doing what you love, you can pick up on their care free attitude, you enjoy life more, I'd do just that, but in a car!

Yeah, that's why I watch them haha, they just get you so motivated and pumped and make you think that the world's not such a shady place, and you just feel like you can do anything. :tongue:

Yeah it looks amazing! I've got the care free attitude and I can play and instrument.. Now all I need is a band, a job, then I can just do it. :tongue: I don't like planning, I just live in the moment... If something goes wrong, it goes wrong, no point in contemplating what could be done to improve it. Just accept it and move on.

It's kind of weird how I look at life... I just take everything in my stride, good or bad. I believe that everything that is meant to happen, will happen.

I like to think deep in the early hours of the morning. :rolleyes:
Reply 4394
Start A-Levels on Monday in:
History
English Literature
Classical Civilisation
English Language

JUST GOT MY TIME TABLE :biggrin:
Original post by Lucas.
Yeah, that's why I watch them haha, they just get you so motivated and pumped and make you think that the world's not such a shady place, and you just feel like you can do anything. :tongue:

Yeah it looks amazing! I've got the care free attitude and I can play and instrument.. Now all I need is a band, a job, then I can just do it. :tongue: I don't like planning, I just live in the moment... If something goes wrong, it goes wrong, no point in contemplating what could be done to improve it. Just accept it and move on.

It's kind of weird how I look at life... I just take everything in my stride, good or bad. I believe that everything that is meant to happen, will happen.

I like to think deep in the early hours of the morning. :rolleyes:

We're actually pretty well off just for being in England, everyone just tends to over think every little thing that at the end of the day doesn't really matter.

Me too, there's no point crying over spilled milk... I think that's how it goes :tongue: I'm pretty relaxed and I rarely get angry over anything because it can't change anything, just look ahead! But I can't play any instrument :/ I desperately want to learn the piano/keyboard though.

I strive for perfection most of the time which can get pretty annoying, but If I don't get it then I accept it as it just wasn't meant to be. Maybe not the for same thing but you can always try again.

Either that or the shower xD And of course the best place to spend your Friday night is the TSR year 12 thread :cool:

You overcomplicated it and made it way harder than it should have been, and for that reason I tl;dr'd it and just spammed wrong. No need to be so ostentatious, bro.
Reading all this makes me both excited and apprehensive for my first lessons on Monday...
Original post by Bude8
Fish, I know you're here somewhere. HL Maths has already ruined me.

Even the year 13 Further Maths people couldn't really help me with my homework.

Here's a question from it:

z^2=9i

Express this in the form x+iy or something... good luck.

IM SO CONFUSED/TIRED/WTF

z = :dontknow:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by pathosL
yeah i have to finish c1 to do m1 anyway

Fair enough.

Latest