The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MangoFreak
I want to do Physics, if that's closer to what you want :mmm:

It's good. Until recently I thought I'd be moving back to Australia, an idea, the worth of which I heavily contested, but it's been worked out that I can stay with a family we're friends with while my family move back :u:

Getting there, I'd love to make millions by selling some sort of antigravity toy, I used it as my GCSE business plan scenario too, diagrams and everything, teacher was clueless :tongue: But ethical hacking tho :ninja:

You're staying in England?

'Murica baby! :cool:
Original post by Glitch96
Getting there, I'd love to make millions by selling some sort of antigravity toy, I used it as my GCSE business plan scenario too, diagrams and everything, teacher was clueless :tongue: But ethical hacking tho :ninja:

You're staying in England?

'Murica baby! :cool:

If you could create matter with antigravity, you'd have one of the materials necessary to build a warp drive, so toys may be a bit below your standard :mmm:

I used to be a computer guy, but I was never very good, so I've moved to traditional physics with a supplemental above-average-but-not-too-above knowledge of computer systems :lol:
It's good. Until recently I thought I'd be moving back to Australia, an idea, the worth of which I heavily contested, but it's been worked out that I can stay with a family we're friends with while my family move back :u:

Whoa what o: Does that mean you guys ended up not getting indefinite leave to remain?

Edit: I'm not creepy .. Just selectively good memory >.>
Original post by Kittaaaaay
Whoa what o: Does that mean you guys ended up not getting indefinite leave to remain?

Edit: I'm not creepy .. Just selectively good memory >.>

No if we didn't have Indefinite Leave to Remain I couldn't stay (there was no legal work that had to be done to let me stay with this family - when I said it was worked out, I meant it was worked out with them :tongue:). We just couldn't afford to stay.
Original post by sos_
We're doing AQA at our school. So far we're studying Rivers and Health issues, so nothing too taxing. It is literally exactly the same as the biology i covered at GCSE. I think that the geography skills paper may be more difficult rather then the physical and human combined paper. My teacher has already advised us to buy revision guides... At least we get to go to Iceland for our field work! :u: Last year, we had to survey the local area which was pretty dull. I'm so glad that there is no coursework though!

Health issues? Ooh, sounds interesting. It is very much GCSE standard so far but I can imagine there will be a bigger focus on collecting data and referring to collecting fieldwork in the exam. You lucky thing! We just have a night in Bridlington in October :/ Last year we had a day on the Holderness Coast and basically surveyed people, measured the beach width, took pictures and rated the different features of coastal management on a bipolar scale for our controlled assessment. Writing up the controlled assessment as supposed to take 20 hours, but me and my friends took around 40 :/
If you could create matter with antigravity, you'd have one of the materials necessary to build a warp drive, so toys may be a bit below your standard :mmm:

I used to be a computer guy, but I was never very good, so I've moved to traditional physics with a supplemental above-average-but-not-too-above knowledge of computer systems :lol:

Wait what? Creating matter? I was planning on using magnets :colondollar: However there are some theories that come under quantum mechanics I'd like to look into :colone:

Admittedly i'm not much a computer pro either, but I like the idea of me knowing more of how a device works then the owner themselves :tongue: Must... Learn... More...
Wait what? Creating matter? I was planning on using magnets :colondollar: However there are some theories that come under quantum mechanics I'd like to look into :colone:

Admittedly i'm not much a computer pro either, but I like the idea of me knowing more of how a device works then the owner themselves :tongue: Must... Learn... More...

Oh :colonhash: Not antigravity then :mmm: Well, technically I suppose using electromagnetism to overcome gravity is "antigravity", but if you had a form of matter with negative density (and therefore negative gravity), you could theoretically construct an Alcubierre drive (the theoretical basis of which is the closest thing to FTL travel we have :awesome:).
Oh :colonhash: Not antigravity then :mmm: Well, technically I suppose using electromagnetism to overcome gravity is "antigravity", but if you had a form of matter with negative density (and therefore negative gravity), you could theoretically construct an Alcubierre drive (the theoretical basis of which is the closest thing to FTL travel we have :awesome:).

Well, the idea of a matter with negative density just blew my mind...:confused:

Oh so you're using the big boy vocabulary now? :colonhash: :tongue:

I was thinking of exposing a diamagnetic material to liquid nitrogen in accordance to the theory of quantum levitation and thus inducing the quantum trapping phenomenon also known as the Meissner effect, warping the gravitational field of earth into a cup shape holding the material in space. The advantage of this is that the material does not need to be directly above the magnets, but can be next to or below and still be in a fixed position in space as well as being physically propelled in a certain direction and continue until the resistance of air slows it down to a halt. The magnetic field an also be distorted, for example a magnetic block on the track will cause the material to 'jump'. I will also research the possibility of introducing an electric current as a method of propulsion. Note that all of this will have to be done on a pre-planned path where a diamagnetic material is present such as a track.

220px-EfektMeisnera.svg.png

http://files.sharenator.com/funny_gifs_controlled_quantum_levitation_on_a_wipeout_track_I_have_way_to_much_free_time-s320x180-284160-580.gif

(note that this is CGI and would need a lot of tweaking to be plausible, also I reserve the right to sue if you make this and encounter considerable monetary gain)

I feel so smart :tongue: :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Scare me ****less why don't you :tongue:

I don't even know you :unimpressed: One day you may be bestowed my Skype name :u:

xD Sorry, that was pure impulse. I saw your name and I thought BAM, I'm gonna screw with this guy.

Fun reaction though. ^.^
Reply 5409
I do suppose I should start this Sociology essay now..
Original post by Lucas.
I do suppose I should start this Sociology essay now..

How about I do that for you and you do my A2 psychology essay in return?
Reply 5411
Original post by mynameisntbobk
How about I do that for you and you do my A2 psychology essay in return?

I would happily take you up on your offer.. except I know nothing about A2 Psychology. :tongue:
Original post by Lucas.
I would happily take you up on your offer.. except I know nothing about A2 Psychology. :tongue:

Haha well that's fair enough. Besides, I didn't do AS sociology :colondollar:
Well, the idea of a matter with negative density just blew my mind...:confused:

Oh so you're using the big boy vocabulary now? :colonhash: :tongue:

I was thinking of exposing a diamagnetic material to liquid nitrogen in accordance to the theory of quantum levitation and thus inducing the quantum trapping phenomenon also known as the Meissner effect, warping the gravitational field of earth into a cup shape holding the material in space. The advantage of this is that the material does not need to be directly above the magnets, but can be next to or below and still be in a fixed position in space as well as being physically propelled in a certain direction and continue until the resistance of air slows it down to a halt. The magnetic field an also be distorted, for example a magnetic block on the track will cause the material to 'jump'. I will also research the possibility of introducing an electric current as a method of propulsion. Note that all of this will have to be done on a pre-planned path where a diamagnetic material is present such as a track.

220px-EfektMeisnera.svg.png

http://files.sharenator.com/funny_gifs_controlled_quantum_levitation_on_a_wipeout_track_I_have_way_to_much_free_time-s320x180-284160-580.gif

(note that this is CGI and would need a lot of tweaking to be plausible, also I reserve the right to sue if you make this and encounter considerable monetary gain)

I feel so smart :tongue: :biggrin:

I'm confused as to what "big boy" vocabulary you think I used :mmm:

Good luck associating anybody who makes this and encounters considerable monetary gain with this account :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
If anyone is going to the Fullbright USA College day event thing in London quote me! (I doubt anyone is :frown: )

I'm confused as to what "big boy" vocabulary you think I used :mmm:

Good luck associating anybody who makes this and encounters considerable monetary gain with this account :tongue:

Density :rofl: Oh i'm so gonna fail this Physics class topic test this Friday.

I just need to make a few Google searches, link your TSR account to your real name...

Spoiler

Why would you take IT? :lol:
Why would you take IT? :lol:

Maybe he wants to do Computer Science or something like that
Our Sixth Form had an icebreaker party last night, it was great :smile: I spoke to some people in Year 13 who I'd been at school with for five years and yet had never spoken to, it was really nice to randomly talk to/hug/dance with so many of them (none of us knew what we were doing, we were all a bit tipsy, although for me the alcohol did wear off during the evening, as the party was five hours long as I couldn't drink there without ID). I've made quite a good friendship with a new girl in our year, which is lovely, and we danced together, as well as with some people in my year who I've never really talked to much. It was a very eventful and everyone was incredibly friendly. It made an amazing night :smile:
I've been trying to memorise ions for 45 minutes, and I feel like I'm going mad.
x

Here's a new word for you.
Parvanimity. Can you figure out what it means?
That's definitely going to blow the socks off an examiner :tongue:

Latest