Scroll to see replies

Original post by MangoFreak
The correct answer was "I can't." :pierre:

Define "exist".

Original post by L'Evil Fish
What is the given definition of exist?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/exist

The point being there's no definition upon which one could possibly agree that describes all things which one might say exists, but thanks for trying.
The point being there's no definition upon which one could possibly agree that describes all things which one might say exists, but thanks for trying.

Fair enough :tongue:
Reply 8543
Original post by Bude8
Some people don't like thinking about it. I do though.

Eg, do numbers exist?

Oh yeah haha and I also do (obviously).

PS numbers don't exist they are merely a made up measurement decided upon by someone years and years ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone on here going to any of those 'Physics Experience' days or whatever they're called at Cambridge next week?
Original post by curved

PS numbers don't exist they are merely a made up measurement decided upon by someone years and years ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The system of numbers is made up. Hence in pretty much every language the nomenclature repeats itself every 10 numbers. We have 10 fingers. The mere notion that you can collate things and call it two, three is just there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by curved

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Sycopation
The system of numbers is made up. Hence in pretty much every language the nomenclature repeats itself every 10 numbers. We have 10 fingers. The mere notion that you can collate things and call it two, three is just there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you'll need stronger arguments than that :tongue:

Keep this in mind; generally, if you can't prove something to be impossible, then it's always a possibility that it might be the 'truth'. Although the mathematical chances are usually ridiculously tiny, they're still possibilities. Eg, does Astrology work? Does the alignment of stars actually affect the events that occur in the universe? You're probably thinking of course not, but you can't really prove it's impossible; to eliminate ALL uncertainty you'd need to observe this concept for an infinite amount of time.

Some people believe that numbers do exist, that they're actual objects. But they're abstract objects. Numbers exist outside space and time. It might be possible that they exist in another dimension that we can't see. One theory on why gravity is so weak suggests that gravitons exist in another dimension. Just because they're objects that you can't physically touch doesn't mean they don't exist. In this example, when I say 'exist', I mean the same way that a table or chair 'exists.'

Another example is the belief that numbers just describe things that exist. When we count, we count with respect to objects, eg, here's one pencil, and another, now you've got two pencils. But what happens when you run into complex numbers? ie, square root of negative numbers. How would you understand a number such as pi, which never terminates?
Is anyone going to go to any university open days soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bude8

Keep this in mind; generally, if you can't prove something to be impossible, then it's always a possibility that it might be the 'truth'. Although the mathematical chances are usually ridiculously tiny, they're still possibilities. Eg, does Astrology work? Does the alignment of stars actually affect the events that occur in the universe? You're probably thinking of course not, but you can't really prove it's impossible; to eliminate ALL uncertainty you'd need to observe this concept for an infinite amount of time.

Some people believe that numbers do exist, that they're actual objects. But they're abstract objects. Numbers exist outside space and time. It might be possible that they exist in another dimension that we can't see. One theory on why gravity is so weak suggests that gravitons exist in another dimension. Just because they're objects that you can't physically touch doesn't mean they don't exist. In this example, when I say 'exist', I mean the same way that a table or chair 'exists.'

Another example is the belief that numbers just describe things that exist. When we count, we count with respect to objects, eg, here's one pencil, and another, now you've got two pencils. But what happens when you run into complex numbers? ie, square root of negative numbers. How would you understand a number such as pi, which never terminates?

That. Is beautiful!
:ahee::awesome:

Meanwhile my Astrophysics masterclass got ruined by the weather :unimpressed:
Original post by Bude8

Everything you say sounds so wise:lol:
Original post by nocoolusername

Posted from TSR Mobile

I might be going to the preparation for Higher Education open day at the Arts University Bournemouth!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Is anyone on here going to any of those 'Physics Experience' days or whatever they're called at Cambridge next week?

I don't know what that is but I'm annoyed that I don't.
I don't know what that is but I'm annoyed that I don't.

http://www-outreach.phy.cam.ac.uk/ccpe/

Reading the page it appears that the universities choose which colleges can come. It's a bit odd that mine was chosen as my school is rather small (the physics cohort in particular is tiny; there's only 8 people in the AS class and nobody does A2) and we're ages away from Cambridge. Perhaps its done on a rotational basis? :dontknow:
http://www-outreach.phy.cam.ac.uk/ccpe/

Reading the page it appears that the universities choose which colleges can come. It's a bit odd that mine was chosen as my school is rather small (the physics cohort in particular is tiny; there's only 8 people in the AS class and nobody does A2) and we're ages away from Cambridge. Perhaps its done on a rotational basis? :dontknow:

A rotational basis would probably be stupider than just choosing certain schools and telling the rest to **** off forever :tongue:

EDIT: to their credit, it does say that, starting in the 2014-15 school year, schools will be able to book online rather than through invitation.
(edited 10 years ago)
A rotational basis would probably be stupider than just choosing certain schools and telling the rest to **** off forever :tongue:

EDIT: to their credit, it does say that, starting in the 2014-15 school year, schools will be able to book online rather than through invitation.

How so?

That's an improvement at least :tongue: TBH I wasn't even that interested in going, but it was offered and it's free :tongue: It would be much better if places were assigned to people actually considering applying for phys :tongue: .
Original post by nocoolusername

Posted from TSR Mobile

Going to Imperial college school of medicine open day next week.
How so?

That's an improvement at least :tongue: TBH I wasn't even that interested in going, but it was offered and it's free :tongue: It would be much better if places were assigned to people actually considering applying for phys :tongue: .

By rotating through schools, you'd be ****ing over individual year groups psychologically as well as practically :tongue: "Last year's group was invited to Cambridge, but they didn't invite you, oh well" :lol:
Reply 8557
I was speaking to someone I know recently and I asked what Uni they went. She told me cambridge and I was surprised as she doesnt realy seem that clever. Did my fb research turns out she goes to Anglia Ruskin University Cambridge I thought it was a campus in cambridge but my research proves not. Is this uni a good uni and do they merge with cambridge students on some occasions or something like MMU Law applicants do with Manchester Uni students.
Reply 8558
Original post by AhmedDavid
I was speaking to someone I know recently and I asked what Uni they went. She told me cambridge and I was surprised as she doesnt realy seem that clever. Did my fb research turns out she goes to Anglia Ruskin University Cambridge I thought it was a campus in cambridge but my research proves not. Is this uni a good uni and do they merge with cambridge students on some occasions or something like MMU Law applicants do with Manchester Uni students.

I've been to Anglia Ruskin once on some open day/outreach thing, but I know it's not a very good uni, some courses ask for 120 UCAS points. When I was there all the students I met were doing media studies :s-smilie: I doubt the students merge academically much if at all, but I know some Anglia Ruskin students do theatre stuff with the Cambridge ones, if that counts.
(edited 10 years ago)
By rotating through schools, you'd be ****ing over individual year groups psychologically as well as practically :tongue: "Last year's group was invited to Cambridge, but they didn't invite you, oh well" :lol:

Teachers go too, so they'd be able to impart information to subsequent year groups. From what I gather, half of the session is on applying to Cambridge and the other half is on actual physics. The help for applying isn't going to change a great deal each year, and there are other physics lectures that schools could apply to go to if they felt that anyone was being hard done by :dontknow: .

In other news, guess whose Breaking Bad box set arrived today? I'll give ya a clue, their name begins with 'L', and ends with 'izzie' :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: .

Latest