The Student Room Group

A lot of people are retaking year 12 this year

Hey. I have noticed that a lot of people are completely resitting year 12 and completing their AS work again. Do you think this is due to the scrapping of Jan exams as typically people would have resat their exams then?
Original post by booklover96
Hey. I have noticed that a lot of people are completely resitting year 12 and completing their AS work again. Do you think this is due to the scrapping of Jan exams as typically people would have resat their exams then?

Its more common than you think. And its not really a new thing.
I know of quite a few people over the years who have done it. Some people did it when i was at 6th form. I also know of a few from before then in the couple of years above me who also did it. I guess people have always done it.
I agree with the other post. It's actually pretty common for people to screw up on their exam papers and either fail the year and leave or resit the year.
Reply 3
Nope I did awesome without January exams. Perhaps it's because people can't cope without a second chance
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
Its more common than you think. And its not really a new thing.
I know of quite a few people over the years who have done it. Some people did it when i was at 6th form. I also know of a few from before then in the couple of years above me who also did it. I guess people have always done it.

don't unis look down on re-sitters? I have made the difficult decision to resit the year and I'm really worried about my choices
don't unis look down on re-sitters? I have made the difficult decision to resit the year and I'm really worried about my choices

I think if you are wanting to go to oxbridge, or are wanting to do something really competitive like medicine, then i think they look down on re sitters, but in most cases they dont really mind.
Like i said, quite a few people do it. I think the big jump from GCSE to A-level has a bit to do with people not doing so well first time round.
Reply 6
I think if you are wanting to go to oxbridge, or are wanting to do something really competitive like medicine, then i think they look down on re sitters, but in most cases they dont really mind.
Like i said, quite a few people do it. I think the big jump from GCSE to A-level has a bit to do with people not doing so well first time round.

I'd like to do neuroscience and possibly apply to russel group unis and thanks. :smile:
I'd like to do neuroscience and possibly apply to russel group unis and thanks. :smile:

It might be worth looking on their websites at the course you want (or emailing unis) and just double checking to see if they particularly dislike resitting, but if the websites dont say anything in particular, then you should be fine.
Reply 8
It might be worth looking on their websites at the course you want (or emailing unis) and just double checking to see if they particularly dislike resitting, but if the websites dont say anything in particular, then you should be fine.

Ok I will do thanks! :smile:
I'm retaking 2 of the 3 modules for music As but I'd never retake a whole year, universities frown on retakes and I don't want to risk losing a uni place because I retook.
Reply 10
Around 60% of people in my year group resitted year 12 in my sixth form, so it's not that unusual.
I got UUUU in January and UUUU in May/June.
Resit or apprentice?
I'd prefer to do A-Levels but I just thought I couldn't cope. After reading this thread it sounds like its quite Normal to me

Posted from TSR iPad. Don't judge me by my red gems
Reply 12
Original post by anonymouse01
I got UUUU in January and UUUU in May/June.
Resit or apprentice?
I'd prefer to do A-Levels but I just thought I couldn't cope. After reading this thread it sounds like its quite Normal to me

Posted from TSR iPad. Don't judge me by my red gems

Not trying to be rude but I think you should go to the apprenticeship route as getting 4 Us might perhaps suggest that this form of learning isn't for you. Which is completely fine and you might find that you will enjoy an apprenticeship more. :smile:
I am thinking of resitting year 12, even though I got CCE when I was expected to get A's and B's. I want to start fresh with the subjects of my choice, as my teacher kept forcing me to take Graphics and Textile, when it was not my intention to. I've told her countless of times until my voice fell off, that i dont want to stay in the course. She also refused to let me drop textile a month into the course and promised me that i will get an A this year. After the all the hard work and dedication, I ended up with a C and E for graphics and textiles. For English literature, it was a huge struggle for the class as one of my teachers was unclear on the word count and structure for the transformational writing, and gave us useless feedbacks in the drafts which means I only had a day to complete my coursework before the deadline. The preparation for the exam was a mess, as we were unsure on what topic will come up and we had to revise as much as we can. At the end, I achieved a "B" in the creative studies, and a "D" in the exam which is a "C" overall. When I resit the year, I can do even better as I have learned what has gone wrong this year. I'm not a lazy worker at all. I might as well get the grades right, than to continue with A2, get rubbish predictions and not do well at the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apologies for the grammar :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
all the other sixth form applications are closed! I need to resit at another sixth form! WHAT DO I DO!

Quick Reply

Latest