The Student Room Group

Biology / Psycholoy / Neuroscience

I'm currently trying to research university courses and it's so difficult. I'm going into a third year of a-levels soon with still no clue.

I like biology theory but I absolutely hate lab work and experiments. I like psychology as I find it interesting but when I read more into what it entails it seems more appealing. I enjoyed the neuroscience aspect of biology.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? This is seriously the most difficult decision of my life so far.
Reply 1
Both psychology and neuroscience at university level entail extensive lab work and experiments in most courses. Both subjects are highly biological as well, and in fact it is almost a secret requirement that an applicant shows they are aware of the scientific and biological nature of a psychology degree in their personal statement.

If you look around, there may be some psychology courses which are mainly theory and little/no lab work. These, however, are likely to not be BPS accredited, which means you will not be able to go on to become a professional accredited psychologist.

Edit: Perhaps if there are any BA Psychology courses about, this would indicate a theory-based course as opposed to an experimental course (which would be BSc)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by lou_100
Both psychology and neuroscience at university level entail extensive lab work and experiments in most courses. Both subjects are highly biological as well, and in fact it is almost a secret requirement that an applicant shows they are aware of the scientific and biological nature of a psychology degree in their personal statement.

If you look around, there may be some psychology courses which are mainly theory and little/no lab work. These, however, are likely to not be BPS accredited, which means you will not be able to go on to become a professional accredited psychologist.

Edit: Perhaps if there are any BA Psychology courses about, this would indicate a theory-based course as opposed to an experimental course (which would be BSc)

Thank you. I'm willing to put up with the experimental side if it means it's BPS credited.
Reply 3
Original post by lovex
Thank you. I'm willing to put up with the experimental side if it means it's BPS credited.

Well okay, in that case I'd suggest searching about for cognitive psychology/neuroscience degree (or sometimes the two are combined for obvious reasons). Then it seems to satisfy your interest in psychology, neuroscience and biology at the same time.

Just be aware of the fact you will have to do experiments. These aren't, however, like those boring pointless A level biology experiments where you watch plants grow and write about the rate they've grown afterwards or anything. I haven't yet started my course, but I know it's going to be interesting experiments, using real people. Plus, the interest in the theory of neuroscience/psychology will probably mean you'll be genuinely excited to see the outcome of the experiments you carry out.

Also, not 100% sure but I think in neuroscience you have to handle real brains a bit, so as long as you aren't too disgusted by that it's fine.
Reply 4
Original post by lovex

I was in your position too but I'm now going on to study Cognitive neuroscience with psychology at the University of Manchester in September. Look in to it, it also opens a wide range of programmes should you want to do a post-grad..
I do Biology with Psychology and I usually do an 'experiment' (lab) once a week. However it's nothing like A levels, they're run really effectively, and the write ups are done within lab time rather than at home and you get your marks back instantly. Labs are actually a very nice way of building up credit so that you're not relying on the exam results 100%, and they're not as hard as essay coursework. Psychology labs are also usually on a computer or in the lecture hall and you have a week to produce an essay on it (however that's only 20% of my course so I don't have these that often).

For your personal statement, show that you have done reading around the subjects. I wrote about The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat by Oliver Sacks, and in each of my interviews I spent probably the majority of the time talking about it, I also used references from it for part of my first presentation at uni (it's just an awesome book so read it). Look into the prospective jobs in these fields, but remember any degree helps you get any job unless you're looking at Medicine or Dentistry so don't stress the specificity that much :smile:
Reply 6
What do you mean by Neuroscience? Are you talking about attempting to decipher the structure and wiring of the brain to explain how it achieves its function and how it is susceptible to certain degenerative diseases, or are you talking about it from a Psychological viewpoint with a discussion about how little Jimmy over here can't think of anything other than 'doing' his own mother.
Reply 7
Original post by lou_100
Well okay, in that case I'd suggest searching about for cognitive psychology/neuroscience degree (or sometimes the two are combined for obvious reasons). Then it seems to satisfy your interest in psychology, neuroscience and biology at the same time.

Just be aware of the fact you will have to do experiments. These aren't, however, like those boring pointless A level biology experiments where you watch plants grow and write about the rate they've grown afterwards or anything. I haven't yet started my course, but I know it's going to be interesting experiments, using real people. Plus, the interest in the theory of neuroscience/psychology will probably mean you'll be genuinely excited to see the outcome of the experiments you carry out.

Also, not 100% sure but I think in neuroscience you have to handle real brains a bit, so as long as you aren't too disgusted by that it's fine.

Thank you, I will definitely look up cognitive psychology and neuroscience. :smile:

Original post by alisartaj
I was in your position too but I'm now going on to study Cognitive neuroscience with psychology at the University of Manchester in September. Look in to it, it also opens a wide range of programmes should you want to do a post-grad..

Thank you. I'll have a look on their website. Good luck at university. :smile:

Original post by ChloeElizabeth
I do Biology with Psychology and I usually do an 'experiment' (lab) once a week. However it's nothing like A levels, they're run really effectively, and the write ups are done within lab time rather than at home and you get your marks back instantly. Labs are actually a very nice way of building up credit so that you're not relying on the exam results 100%, and they're not as hard as essay coursework. Psychology labs are also usually on a computer or in the lecture hall and you have a week to produce an essay on it (however that's only 20% of my course so I don't have these that often).

For your personal statement, show that you have done reading around the subjects. I wrote about The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat by Oliver Sacks, and in each of my interviews I spent probably the majority of the time talking about it, I also used references from it for part of my first presentation at uni (it's just an awesome book so read it). Look into the prospective jobs in these fields, but remember any degree helps you get any job unless you're looking at Medicine or Dentistry so don't stress the specificity that much :smile:

Oh that doesn't sound too bad! I hadn't even considered reading around the subjects, I think I may order that book. Thank you for the suggestion. :smile:

Original post by Mockery
What do you mean by Neuroscience? Are you talking about attempting to decipher the structure and wiring of the brain to explain how it achieves its function and how it is susceptible to certain degenerative diseases, or are you talking about it from a Psychological viewpoint with a discussion about how little Jimmy over here can't think of anything other than 'doing' his own mother.

I'm talking about the former. I enjoyed studying the structure of the brain and the central nervous system in A2 biology and would like to learn about it in more depth. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending