The Student Room Group

Can I still get offers from good unis for law with these AS results?

My AS results were lower than expected, BBBC in English Lit Lang A2 (I was put in early), French AS, maths AS and history AS, respective :frown: I think I got these grades because I was obsessed with doing ok in everything rather than compromising a weaker subject for a better grade elsewhere (was this a mistake?)

Now I feel sick every time I think about it. They were solid, and in some cases, quite high Bs, and I reckon with enough work and maybe a couple resits I could get a set of good grades that would meet typical uni offers, but, I'm terrified that universities with a good name wouldn't give me the chance to show I can do better, and that I won't get any offers or will be forced to apply at weaker institutes. Law is so competitive, and I've read that if you don't go to the Russell Group/top 30 unis in the country, employers won't even consider you. I don't know what to do! Please, any advice/experiences to help me??? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Reply 1
Hey : ) First of all, well done! Those are fantastic results. My friend achieved three Bs at A Level and went on to get a 1st in Law from Keele university and she is now a trainee solicitor. You also must remember that you are only halfway through the course and you could get higher grades next year for A2. Your teachers could also predict you the grades you need, therefore securing offers from top universities. Good luck for the future and don't give up hope!
Reply 2
Those grades are very very good. You only need to put a bit more work in and you could get A's.

My advice would be go all out on A2s.

Your teachers will predict you A's. Just get high A's and turn your high B's into low A's !
Reply 3
those aren't bad results and can be turned into A's next year.
Reply 4
Realistically can't get into Law at top 30 Uni with those results...but if you retake get A's then take a gap year for 6 months internship 6 months then you will be given unconditional offers from all over the country!
Reply 5
As the others have said, you have achieved very good grades, I'm sure if you put in the 'extra effort' this year and really keen it out, you would be more than capable of achieving straight A's if not higher.
Reply 6
Yep, beg your teachers to predict you 3A's on the basis you have high ums, and you should get offers from all AAA uni's, providing you have a good personal statement. If you're really interested in law try and get a work placement (maybe in the christmas holidays) or go visit a court (you can do this for free by just going in) and put them in your personal statement to make it stronger.
Reply 7
Original post by goonermk
Those grades are very very good. You only need to put a bit more work in and you could get A's.

My advice would be go all out on A2s.

Your teachers will predict you A's. Just get high A's and turn your high B's into low A's !

Thank you :redface: so are my predicted grades what would make the difference between getting an offer and not?
Reply 8
Thank you all, these responses are so reassuring I feel a bit better, and a lot more motivated! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by leanne95
Thank you :redface: so are my predicted grades what would make the difference between getting an offer and not?

Yes, the predicted grades are usually more important than the A/S grades themselves.

but the teachers won't lie and predict you AAA if they truly believe you can only get BBB, so make sure you start the year of strongly and speak to your teachers politely (translation: suck up to them :tongue: )
Reply 10
Original post by goonermk
Yes, the predicted grades are usually more important than the A/S grades themselves.

but the teachers won't lie and predict you AAA if they truly believe you can only get BBB, so make sure you start the year of strongly and speak to your teachers politely (translation: suck up to them :tongue: )

Ohh ok I didn't realise they were so important! Thank you so much, I'll be sure to go speak to them as soon as school starts :h:
Reply 11
Original post by leanne95
Ohh ok I didn't realise they were so important! Thank you so much, I'll be sure to go speak to them as soon as school starts :h:

your welcome, and good luck !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending