This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Does anyoune alse do OCR advancing physics? do you find it really hard to revise for? the book is so dull!
mrmarsupial
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yea the book contains loads of useless crap u dont need for exam but really if u wanna do physics at uni, u should understand it and know it all.

If you just want physics as another a level to show u can actually do it, then just practice the calculations and the major stuff. Also I doubt u could get an A without understanding it all becuase they ask lots of diff questions which only make up a small amount of the paper, but learning the equations and main stuff get u a easy B, maybe an A
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
Does anyoune alse do OCR advancing physics? do you find it really hard to revise for? the book is so dull!
What really annoys me about AP is the way the textbook skims over a lot of the detail and instead has pages of historical preamble. The qualification is physics not history of physics! Granted, a bit of preamble is necessary to contextualise, but not as much as AP has. I think they've tried to cut back on the level of maths too much, which has resulted, in my opinion, in an awfully simplifed course.

Regards,
mrmarsupial
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I wouldnt know I never read the book lol, I got a sheet which said "these are the formulas you need to know". Learnt it, looked over some section C questions and that was it.

I got the feeling to actually have full understanding of everything would take great effort + desire to understand it, which I dont have, physics just an A level to me I wanna do fairly well on.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I got an A at AS (exactly 240 marks - grade boundary for an A) but I am really worried about the A2 papers - cos it is a new course there are hardly any practice papers, and I am really not sure about the advances in physics paper...
mrmarsupial
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
How much harder and different is the A2 not actually looked at the spec but I do know you get to learn bit more about space or the universe which I have always found interesting.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I just don't find physics very intersting. At AS I did geo, phys, chem and maths. my chemistry teacher was such a berk I couldn't face another year, so I stuck with physics. There is so much to learn!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
just saw that comment and thought i had to reply.. i did chem, psychology, physics and maths, my chemistry teacher was a jerk so i dropped it and stuck with physics and now the exam is tommorow.. and still SO much to learn ! argh!
bones
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I do advancing physics and I actually enjoy it. Granted the book is quite 'elaborate' on certain subjects, and you only actually have to know a few facts and equations listed at the end of each chapter, but the course is more focused on UNDERSTANDING physics, not just using mathematical equations. If you read through the chapters and understand what is being said, you'll be surprised at how much your understanding of physics improves. If I remember correctly, the course was created specifically to shed the stereotype of a physics course being riddled with nothing but maths - they're trying to give a course with content that physics students can actually logically understand and relate to.
Anyway, good luck with today's "Field and Particle Pictures" exam everyone!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hey, you all seem to be bored with AP, has anyone got any ideas about the Advance Notice Junk we're sitting on Thursday? I'm quite concerned its gonna be a tough paper
Squishy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The books are incredibly boring. I gave my AS book to a fifth-former and I lost my A2 book halfway through the year, and it's never bothered me. I've got my final AP exam today (synoptic, and then it's all done, wahoo!).
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (345)
34.6%
No (652)
65.4%

Watched Threads