This discussion is closed.
HK786
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So i'm in a bit of dilemma and need to choose between Law and History. I've always been interested in History but it's the career prospects that worry me.

I know that people say there are so many things you CAN do with a History (law, management, PR, accounting) but in reality not many people actually do them. A banking firm would rather take someone who has done a finance related degree than a history graduate. Are the career prospects as bleak as people say in which case I should choose Law or can I get a good job with a History degree at say SOAS?
HK786
Rep:
?
bump
TheDarkShadow
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My friend from work graduated last year with a history degree and is really struggling to find a job... She has applied to so many places and has a 2:1 but still can't get a job. We both work at Tesco and for her sake I hope she finds a better job soon! You're right that jobs are possible to get with it but they are few and far between, I would recommend doing law as it opens many doors and is a well respected degree.
HK786
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheDarkShadow)
My friend from work graduated last year with a history degree and is really struggling to find a job... She has applied to so many places and has a 2:1 but still can't get a job. We both work at Tesco and for her sake I hope she finds a better job soon! You're right that jobs are possible to get with it but they are few and far between, I would recommend doing law as it opens many doors and is a well respected degree.
What Uni did she go to?
evening sunrise
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is it her degree subject?

Could be interview skills letting them down.

Or application crafting skills

Or psychometric testing results

Or A-level results as most decent graduate schemes apply a UCAS tariff filter as well as the 2.1 filter.

This all smacks of; Nelly is an elephant, and Nelly is pink; therefore all elephants are pink.

Posted from TSR Mobile
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Most Arts degrees arent 'vocational' in that they dont lead straight to an obvious job.

THIS DOESNT MATTER.The general skills you get from degree study are the ability to analyse data, write, read, argue, present. All of this is valuable in the workplace. Vast numbers of History grads work in jobs where what they studied is actually irrelevant - what employers want is a trained brain, not subject specific knowledge.

Choose a subject you really enjoy - not just one you think/hope might get you an obvious job at the end of it. There is no point in doing 'Law' or 'Management' or whatever for three whole years if it bores you senseless. And you are unlikely to get a good class degree if you are not actually enjoying what you are studying. You enjoy History? It excites you? You want to know more all the time? Do it.

[PS. Yes, there will be grads (in all subjects) who will find it hard to get work - that is as much about them as a person and their overall CV than the subject they studied. Dont think because one person who studied History is working in Tescos means ALL History grads end up in donkey-work]
-=|Jay|=-
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I implore you to choose history over law if you love history.

This is what I did.

I firmly believe if i had chosen law instead, I would not have achieved 1st class honours.

I currently work in Korea at a middle school and will be returning next year to begin a Masters at York University. I aim to work for an NGO on project management or a think tank in the future.

Remember you can always do a qualifying law course after your undergrad.

From the history grads I know:
1 works as a copywriter for a Mixed Martial Arts company,
1 has secured a traineeship to fund her law conversion
Another works as a marketing consultant.
Another has written a book since graduation (built upon his dissertation) and has secured post graduate research at Durham university.
Another secured a position as a trainee accountant
Another as a trainee manager for a wine import company..
Then you do have the stereotypical ones such as working as a curator in a museum etc.

Career prospects are as bleak as you make them. If you don't achieve anything during university and leave with a standard 2:1 degree, then yes - good luck getting employed.

If you spend your time accumulating experience, internships, extra curriculars then History is a respectable degree to combine these with.
old6h
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am going through the same dilemma! I adore history, and would love to go into curating when I am older but... I'm a straight A* student, and I'm equally as good at my sciences. I know doing a science related degree would be the wise option, but it does not interest me. I am seriously considering a law degree (or a Law with History degree, but these aren't offered at the 'good' universities) but I don't know if I could leave History behind - I love it too much! Yet I'm well aware I probably will not end up being a curator, as too many people with history degrees want to do the same thing.
UrsulaLangley
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm currently starting university in September studying English Literature and History as joint honours. I was just as concerned as yourself in regards to career prospects following my degree.
However, after talking to many universities and businesses, I have found it does not restrict you from any sort of job, but you need to be prepared to have some sort of additional education in order to start your career, such as a PGCE (for teaching) or a law conversion.
It's not impossible to get a job if you are willing to work for it.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (341)
34.76%
No (640)
65.24%

Watched Threads