In my first year I got:
Physics - U
Chemistry - U
Biology - D

And this year i got:
Maths - U
Biology - U
Psychology - U

I achieved A's and B's for my GCSE's(that rhymes) I have no idea how, I was in the top classes for all my subjects, however, I was one of those students who relied on natural intelligence rather than hard work. I was badly behaved, never done homework or classwork and was always late.

Now, With AS levels, failing the first year did wake me up to the fact that in order to even pass you need to actually rely on hard work. So I thought I would take what I had learned and had another go at it by retaking the year...but I've failed yet again.

The only time I really feel the need to revise is when i'm a week or 2 away from an exam...in all the other while, the thought of studying just seems pointless, even when I force myself my mind just wanders, my stomach starts to hurt & I just end up getting really frustrated with myself.

I need some advice, I have no idea what options are available for students like myself, are there any alternatives to A levels or something ? And do you think it's worth it resitting AS levels a Third time? My interests lie within science and the arts btw.
Reply 1
To be blunt, you haven't shown much of that natural intelligence through your results.

I don't think Third Time Lucky applies here.

Maybe consider that you aren't as smart as you thought you were and that you have to actually work like regular people to get anywhere in life. Everyone wants to be the exception.

I'd look at apprenticeships, BTECs and Entry Level Jobs. You have proved that you are not disciplined enough to pursue academic studies yet.
Reply 2
You said it for yourself, you revised a week before exams.. see the problem?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MoniqueBubbles
In my first year I got:
Physics - U
Chemistry - U
Biology - D

And this year i got:
Maths - U
Biology - U
Psychology - U

I achieved A's and B's for my GCSE's(that rhymes) I have no idea how, I was in the top classes for all my subjects, however, I was one of those students who relied on natural intelligence rather than hard work. I was badly behaved, never done homework or classwork and was always late.

Now, With AS levels, failing the first year did wake me up to the fact that in order to even pass you need to actually rely on hard work. So I thought I would take what I had learned and had another go at it by retaking the year...but I've failed yet again.

The only time I really feel the need to revise is when i'm a week or 2 away from an exam...in all the other while, the thought of studying just seems pointless, even when I force myself my mind just wanders, my stomach starts to hurt & I just end up getting really frustrated with myself.

I need some advice, I have no idea what options are available for students like myself, are there any alternatives to A levels or something ? And do you think it's worth it resitting AS levels a Third time? My interests lie within science and the arts btw.

the bit in bold is your problem no wonder you failed then I started revision 1.5-2 months before exams, there is no way you can go over all of the required knowledge and exam practice in 1-2 weeks, especially biology and maths

you can try level 3 btec in applied science or something similar but this requires work all throughout the year as it is all coursework no exams

I don't think you should resit the year again as you are obviously not willing to work to get the grades

edit: if you plan on going to uni you will HAVE to change your attitude to work and revision as no one will tell you to do it, you will just fail and be kicked out
(edited 10 years ago)
well that's what you get for laziness. You've got to constantly chip away a little bit at a time, there's far too much ground to cover to do it all in a few weeks.
Don't procrastinate and just get on with it. Nobody enjoys the revision, but to get the results you have to be prepared to put sufficient effort in. You can't coast through life by being "naturally smart". With regards to taking AS Levels again, don't do it unless you are going to seriously put in the hours required - or it's another year of your life wasted. Take something that is more matched up to your level of hard work and ambition, like a level 1 diploma in health and beauty.
Reply 6
In my first year I got:
Physics - U
Chemistry - U
Biology - D

And this year i got:
Maths - U
Biology - U
Psychology - U

You revised for a week, so what did you expect? You can go to college and do a BTEC course, or do an apprenticeship. The BTEC course may be better for you as you do not have the motivation to revise because there are no exams. It doesn't seem worth it to try for a third year.
Reply 7
You are under 19 I assume so whatever you do make sure you enrol onto some sort of course. It will be free but next year it would cost thousands.

I also failed my A/S year twice and on the third attempt scored 3 A's.

I always considered myself a naturally smart guy but in order to get these grades I sat in the library 10-7 for over month.
I'll be honest if you failed AS levels twice then perhaps you need to consider going down the vocational route because it does not require a significant amount of effort to achieve atleast C's at AS.

I personally think trying to go for a third attempt will most likely not yield much better results, you're already 2 years behind your academic peers so you'd be better off considering other routes such as apprenticeships.
In my first year I got:
Physics - U
Chemistry - U
Biology - D

And this year i got:
Maths - U
Biology - U
Psychology - U

dude go for btec :closedeyes:
Reply 10
Btecs are your way if you want to continue further education.

Edit: Sam L Jackson may upset a few people who believe its not neccerily the persons fault (Even though to an extent it is >.>) so i took it off. Mods probably would have taken it out anyways lol. :boring:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
If you still want to go to university, do BTECs. Despite stigma you can still get into somewhat decent uni's with them. Whatever you do dont take A-Levels again. What I will say is that you chose hard A-Levels maybe you're more suited to English and stuff? Anyway dont do A-Levels seriously. They're not for you
I would suggest you get a job or apprenticeship and wait till your nineteen or twenty and do an access course or do a btec

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by goonermk
You are under 19 I assume so whatever you do make sure you enrol onto some sort of course. It will be free but next year it would cost thousands.

I also failed my A/S year twice and on the third attempt scored 3 A's.

I always considered myself a naturally smart guy but in order to get these grades I sat in the library 10-7 for over month.

did you have any trouble finding a college to re sit you're a levels for the third time?

I achieved A's and B's for my GCSE's(that rhymes) I have no idea how,

It's quite simple actually,
The E in GCSE rhymes with the B,
For example if you had said you achieved Bs and As in your GCSEs it wouldn't have rhymed.
It's about the structure of the sentence.

Say B and E over and over again, sooner or later you'll being to realise they rhyme,

Hope I helped! :biggrin:
Reply 15
did you have any trouble finding a college to re sit you're a levels for the third time?

Nope. There was one guy in my class who was 24/5.

I'm also in London, there are loads of colleges here who accept anyone.
Reply 16
Original post by PKMN TRN JAM
It's quite simple actually,
The E in GCSE rhymes with the B,
For example if you had said you achieved Bs and As in your GCSEs it wouldn't have rhymed.
It's about the structure of the sentence.

Say B and E over and over again, sooner or later you'll being to realise they rhyme,

Hope I helped! :biggrin:

I'd rep if I could!

Quick Reply

Latest