(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by lovex

I was thinking of applying to 2 universities that I can already get into with ACC, two if my grades improve to ABBB and one kind of 'dream university'. Do you guys think that's a good idea? Also will universities look down on me for resitting a few modules in a third year? I haven't done any resits before and the reason my grades are low was because of personal issues that I don't wish to talk about to teachers or admissions tutors. You can literally see my grades go from A/B in AS January to C/D in AS June and A2 January before going back up to AAB in A2 June, lol.

ACC is pretty good I mean you can get into very good Universities with those grades. You could definetly apply for Universities just outside the Russel Group. So don't worry about retaking and just get yourself to University, because A-levels don't really matter when you get to Uni
Reply 3
Apply for unis within the BBB-BBC range and if you are aiming for ABB, go for an ABB anyway and see what they say. :smile:

I'm sure there are Russell Groups that will take you, just find the right course, research the chances of getting in with how popular/unpopular the course is and go for it
Reply 4
If you were so few marks off, they're nothing a few retakes can't handle. You're obviously capable of Bs, just got unlucky! Retake the first AS modules if you can. They'll seem like a piece of cake in comparison? :smile:

I'd definitely hold out for better places to apply though. Sure, you can get into some good ACC unis, but you're so close to being able to apply to ABB unis, which could make a big difference to you if you prefer the better courses, or like the higher ranked unis more :smile: ABB gets you into Russell Group too (what course are you looking at?) which is a whole step up in terms of degree quality and prestige etc (or so the internet would have us think...) ? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by DFC95
ACC is pretty good I mean you can get into very good Universities with those grades. You could definetly apply for Universities just outside the Russel Group. So don't worry about retaking and just get yourself to University, because A-levels don't really matter when you get to Uni

Original post by Hullo
Apply for unis within the BBB-BBC range and if you are aiming for ABB, go for an ABB anyway and see what they say. :smile:

I'm sure there are Russell Groups that will take you, just find the right course, research the chances of getting in with how popular/unpopular the course is and go for it

Original post by navyspaces
If you were so few marks off, they're nothing a few retakes can't handle. You're obviously capable of Bs, just got unlucky! Retake the first AS modules if you can. They'll seem like a piece of cake in comparison? :smile:

I'd definitely hold out for better places to apply though. Sure, you can get into some good ACC unis, but you're so close to being able to apply to ABB unis, which could make a big difference to you if you prefer the better courses, or like the higher ranked unis more :smile: ABB gets you into Russell Group too (what course are you looking at?) which is a whole step up in terms of degree quality and prestige etc (or so the internet would have us think...) ? :smile:

Thank you. I forgot to mention that the course I'm thinking of applying to is psychology. Out of the Russell Group universities it looks like I might be able to get into Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Queen's Belfast or York. However, I'm from the South-East so it would be quite a journey for most of them! I would like to get into the university with the best reputation as possible but I'm not sure where to start outside of the Russell Group.
Probably weep
Original post by genuinelydense
Probably weep

I doubt the OP was actually asking for your personal reaction to those grades if you were to receive them.
Unfortunately, I missed out on my Chemistry, getting a C (few marks off a B, grrrr!!) The other 2 I got A's, so thankfully that lessens the load of work!
I am taking a gap year, and repeating those exams. It means I have more time aside for revision, as due to personal circumstances, (that no one knows about!) my chemistry was seriously affected (Sounds strange that I got 2 A's, but things like that happen...!)
A lot of them have policies on resits, some don't, so I would also contact Universities to see what they say. by all means, repeat, if you know you can do yourself justice and bring those marks up, go for it!
You have many options. I would talk to someone firstly to relieve some of that pent up emotions, plus your school would be in a better position to help. You don't have to, as I know it can be hard to tell people things!
You can always repeat the year. I did all my AS resits with my A2 exams, which wasn't a good idea as my Chemistry suffered a lot, but bear in mind some boards are not doing January exams, which would mean extra work in June!
You do have some pretty good grades here, so it shouldn't be hard to get them to what you want! I would see if you can get a mentor, I got one and she helped me go over things I didn't understand, but more importantly, help me find my best revision strategy, give me a good revision timetable to balance my exams and revision. Also, give yourself plenty (but not many) breaks. Isn't it the brain can only work from 15 to 30 minute bursts then you take a quick break? (Sorry, not really remembering at the moment!!)

Don't be so hard on yourself. Be positive (the whole, Universe is on the same frequency as your mind, cosmic ordering and such lol)! I don't know if this has helped any, but hopefully it will spark a few ideas :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Physically getting to university should definitely not be a restricting factor after all the hard work you'll have put into getting in to it! :smile: You can get a free railcard through Santander if you use them for your student banking, and the uni can pay towards your travel costs if you're unable to :smile: Have a look at Exeter, Bristol and the like too. They're much closer and also ace :smile:
Reply 10
Depends on what kind of university you want to go to, whether you would regret missing out on going to a "better" university. At the end of the day, 1 year is a short amount of time when compared to the rest of your life, and this decision could effect it. From the sounds of things you were a bit unlucky with your grades, so I personally would say apply to the universities that you want to go to, if they say no then retake. But that's just my two cents...
Reply 11
If I were you I would apply for a mixture. Depending on the course requirements then you could still easily apply to Russell Groups. Don't forget that most people retake and go up grades for their A2.

I got BCDE last year and applied to Southampton, Liverpool and Queen Mary's (all Russell Group universities with Geography requirements of ABB or higher). They ALL gave me an offer despite taking on BCE subjects and therefore being like 6 grades before the requirements. This again depends on your course competitiveness but most people get offers even if they're below (unless it's something like medicine or dentistry). I just got my A2 results and moved up to ABD and got accepted into Queen Mary's (my friend needed AAB for history in Southampton this year and she got accepted with BCC believe it or not, so not all hope is lost).

But because of these grades and depending on how competitive your course is, this is why I also applied for Portsmouth and a Liverpool foundation (being BCC and CDD respectively). I'd make sure you have a range going from A's to B's to C's in the requirements so that if you don't get the offer you can still have these backups lower down. Good luck!!
Reply 12
Original post by genuinelydense
Probably weep

Hence why I am resitting. The frustrating thing is that I got AAB in June which are the most difficult exams of the 2 year a-level course so I know that I'm more than capable of getting that overall. It seems that I've only just realised how to effectively revise. It doesn't help that resits can be so expensive and I don't have a job at the moment.

Original post by navyspaces
Physically getting to university should definitely not be a restricting factor after all the hard work you'll have put into getting in to it! :smile: You can get a free railcard through Santander if you use them for your student banking, and the uni can pay towards your travel costs if you're unable to :smile: Have a look at Exeter, Bristol and the like too. They're much closer and also ace :smile:

Ooh I never knew about getting a free railcard. Looks like I'll be changing banks haha. I've got prospectuses being delivered for Exeter and Bristol so I'll definitely look at them. :smile:

Original post by gaomeister
Depends on what kind of university you want to go to, whether you would regret missing out on going to a "better" university. At the end of the day, 1 year is a short amount of time when compared to the rest of your life, and this decision could effect it. From the sounds of things you were a bit unlucky with your grades, so I personally would say apply to the universities that you want to go to, if they say no then retake. But that's just my two cents...

I'm 100% doing a third year at college anyway. Whether that means resitting or doing a whole new a-level as a fast track. I want to get into the best university possible as I know that I will regret it if I don't. I'm just not sure which are the best universities that are within the ACC-AAB range.

Original post by Will Leahy
If I were you I would apply for a mixture. Depending on the course requirements then you could still easily apply to Russell Groups. Don't forget that most people retake and go up grades for their A2.

I got BCDE last year and applied to Southampton, Liverpool and Queen Mary's (all Russell Group universities with Geography requirements of ABB or higher). They ALL gave me an offer despite taking on BCE subjects and therefore being like 6 grades before the requirements. This again depends on your course competitiveness but most people get offers even if they're below (unless it's something like medicine or dentistry). I just got my A2 results and moved up to ABD and got accepted into Queen Mary's (my friend needed AAB for history in Southampton this year and she got accepted with BCC believe it or not, so not all hope is lost).

But because of these grades and depending on how competitive your course is, this is why I also applied for Portsmouth and a Liverpool foundation (being BCC and CDD respectively). I'd make sure you have a range going from A's to B's to C's in the requirements so that if you don't get the offer you can still have these backups lower down. Good luck!!

Thank you, that was really encouraging. Congrats on getting into Queen Mary's, it's one of my favourites that I have looked into. I think I will apply to a couple that I could already get into with ACC and then a couple that are ABB and then maybe one which is a little out of reach just to see what happens. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by LadyEcliptic
Unfortunately, I missed out on my Chemistry, getting a C (few marks off a B, grrrr!!) The other 2 I got A's, so thankfully that lessens the load of work!
I am taking a gap year, and repeating those exams. It means I have more time aside for revision, as due to personal circumstances, (that no one knows about!) my chemistry was seriously affected (Sounds strange that I got 2 A's, but things like that happen...!)
A lot of them have policies on resits, some don't, so I would also contact Universities to see what they say. by all means, repeat, if you know you can do yourself justice and bring those marks up, go for it!
You have many options. I would talk to someone firstly to relieve some of that pent up emotions, plus your school would be in a better position to help. You don't have to, as I know it can be hard to tell people things!
You can always repeat the year. I did all my AS resits with my A2 exams, which wasn't a good idea as my Chemistry suffered a lot, but bear in mind some boards are not doing January exams, which would mean extra work in June!
You do have some pretty good grades here, so it shouldn't be hard to get them to what you want! I would see if you can get a mentor, I got one and she helped me go over things I didn't understand, but more importantly, help me find my best revision strategy, give me a good revision timetable to balance my exams and revision. Also, give yourself plenty (but not many) breaks. Isn't it the brain can only work from 15 to 30 minute bursts then you take a quick break? (Sorry, not really remembering at the moment!!)

Don't be so hard on yourself. Be positive (the whole, Universe is on the same frequency as your mind, cosmic ordering and such lol)! I don't know if this has helped any, but hopefully it will spark a few ideas :smile:

That's the problem...i don't get it. I am guessing oxford, cambridge, LSE, UCL, Durham won't take resit's....so no point applying there

i am myself in a similar situation, but to be honest i am just working hard to get the grades if anything. Going by clearing there were many top uni's that do my course (law) in clearing, and when i called up they said they wanted at least A A B, so basically get the grades and if worst comes to worst and you don't get any offers, go through clearing!
Reply 14
Original post by lovex
Hence why I am resitting. The frustrating thing is that I got AAB in June which are the most difficult exams of the 2 year a-level course so I know that I'm more than capable of getting that overall. It seems that I've only just realised how to effectively revise. It doesn't help that resits can be so expensive and I don't have a job at the moment.

Ooh I never knew about getting a free railcard. Looks like I'll be changing banks haha. I've got prospectuses being delivered for Exeter and Bristol so I'll definitely look at them. :smile:

I'm 100% doing a third year at college anyway. Whether that means resitting or doing a whole new a-level as a fast track. I want to get into the best university possible as I know that I will regret it if I don't. I'm just not sure which are the best universities that are within the ACC-AAB range.

Thank you, that was really encouraging. Congrats on getting into Queen Mary's, it's one of my favourites that I have looked into. I think I will apply to a couple that I could already get into with ACC and then a couple that are ABB and then maybe one which is a little out of reach just to see what happens. :smile:

Are you on a gap year or going onto A2? I am confused lol?
Reply 15
Original post by sammyvine
Are you on a gap year or going onto A2? I am confused lol?

I have done my A2s and got ACC. I decided not to apply during my A2 year as I knew that I wanted to come back to college for one more year and sit A2 psychology as that is the subject I wish to study at university. Does that make sense? Sorry if it sounds confusing lol.
Original post by lovex

I was thinking of applying to 2 universities that I can already get into with ACC, two if my grades improve to ABBB and one kind of 'dream university'. Do you guys think that's a good idea? Also will universities look down on me for resitting a few modules in a third year? I haven't done any resits before and the reason my grades are low was because of personal issues that I don't wish to talk about to teachers or admissions tutors. You can literally see my grades go from A/B in AS January to C/D in AS June and A2 January before going back up to AAB in A2 June, lol.

Criminology and Social Policy at the London School of Economics is ABB, right?
That's kind of related to psychology...I guess.
Original post by lovex
My grades are ACC (A in Biology and C's in Chemistry and Physics). The C's were a few UMS from B's. I'm also going to be doing A2 Psychology this year which I got a B in at AS.

I want to resit at least one module of both chemistry and physics to try and get ABB plus whatever grade I get in psychology.

If you were in my position, what would you do? Also what universities should I apply to?

Hi,
I did exactly the same thing last year when I was in your position, now I got my results last week, and im on an ABB in sport biology and chemistry, so its definitely worth it and paid off, im going to do pharmacy this year at ljmu. So I strongly advise you to do it, its worth it I think. However I sat exams externally and worked during this year saving up a lot of money for uni, and increasing my work experience.
Good luck :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sammyvine
That's the problem...i don't get it. I am guessing oxford, cambridge, LSE, UCL, Durham won't take resit's....so no point applying there

i am myself in a similar situation, but to be honest i am just working hard to get the grades if anything. Going by clearing there were many top uni's that do my course (law) in clearing, and when i called up they said they wanted at least A A B, so basically get the grades and if worst comes to worst and you don't get any offers, go through clearing!

It depends what you are applying to and where. Some will accept resits during the 2 years, and after that they say don't bother, whereas many will be okay you take a gap year to repeat exams.
In saying that, if you got turned down from all universities or rejected all offers, I'm pretty sure they don't get to see your final grades (that sounds really sneaky but, I'm sure that's how it works?). I'm not overly sure if they ask for all previous grades?
Reply 19
So I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be resitting some modules next year. I'm just awaiting on a reply from my tutor to ensure I can at my college. What kind of universities should I be applying for? I'm aiming for AAB.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending