This discussion is closed.
greenrevolt
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
So we keep hearing so much about homophobia, hate crimes and all that. but what about heterophobia? does it really exist?
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by greenrevolt)
So we keep hearing so much about homophobia, hate crimes and all that. but what about heterophobia? does it really exist?
Not really. I'm sure there are some homosexuals who hate hetero's etc but I don't think it's very prevalant.
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Not really. I'm sure there are some homosexuals who hate hetero's etc but I don't think it's very prevalant.
I have homophobe-phobia, but it's not the same thing.
greenrevolt
(Original post by Trousers)
I have homophobe-phobia, but it's not the same thing.
know an incredible number of homophobes, most being homophobes by 'rumours' about homosexuals. I heard comments such as , 'I would kill my son with my own bare hands if I ever found out he was gay'--> sick or , 'I'd rather you get locked up for murder rather than you being gay'
ToshTrent
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A huge stigma hangs with the reputation of being gay. That's why alot of us males are homophobic. I don't want to be thought of as gay just because I'm friends with one, stay away from them and then no problems with the rep.
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ToshTrent)
A huge stigma hangs with the reputation of being gay. That's why alot of us males are homophobic. I don't want to be thought of as gay just because I'm friends with one, stay away from them and then no problems with the rep.
Oh come on, why would people think you were gay just because one of your friends is? That's just an excuse.
greenrevolt
(Original post by Trousers)
Oh come on, why would people think you were gay just because one of your friends is? That's just an excuse.
it does happen though..I dont know many straight guys which have the guts to hang out with a gay guy
ToshTrent
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
it does happen though..I dont know many straight guys which have the guts to hang out with a gay guy
Obviously your gay then...
greenrevolt
Obviously your gay then...
I am gay yes but my 3 best guy friends are straight! they are special though-not a lot of that going around plus it doesnt really show am gay. practically none of my gay friends has any straight male friends
Rich
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't want to be thought of as gay just because I'm friends with one, stay away from them and then no problems with the rep.
Well they can't be missing much not having someone with your narrow-mind and selfish attitude as a friend.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It would astound me if it did.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rahaydenuk)
Well they can't be missing much not having someone with your narrow-mind and selfish attitude as a friend.
It's not his fault that society has certain attitudes Hayden.
Rich
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *reasoning*)
It's not his fault that society has certain attitudes Hayden.
Maybe not, but I was talking about his attitude, not society's.
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It will take generations before a step toward a more liberal tolerant society happens. Until then, we live in hope.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
But his attitude is probably due to the pressures of scoiety which are imposed upon him - That was my point.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *reasoning*)
But his attitude is probably due to the pressures of scoiety which are imposed upon him - That was my point.

but surely that's his fault? Society tells us all alot of things, and most people ignore at least some of it, I ignore most of it.
KuinKra
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hm... I have come across cases where there are real woman-hating male homosexuals out there, and similarly for lesbians (man-haters). I don't think it's ever been defined as heterophobia, but I doubt it's that significant; not very many homosexuals prescribe to it.

We need to be more worried about the rampant homophobia, especially that which is religious in nature - some people are just so ignorant and judgemental, it's terrifying.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Do gay people find it offensive to be accused of being straight? It's something I've always assumed to be the case but this may just be blind optimism.
fifi53
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i hate men, with a real strong hate. i'm not even gay, i just know i hate men. isnt just a mild dislike, its proper hate and fear. gay men - fine with them, which is wierd. unthreatening i guess, all psychological stuff. so in a way that might fit your "heterophobe" criteria... but its just isolated in men.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fifi53)
i hate men, with a real strong hate. i'm not even gay, i just know i hate men. isnt just a mild dislike, its proper hate and fear. gay men - fine with them, which is wierd. unthreatening i guess, all psychological stuff. so in a way that might fit your "heterophobe" criteria... but its just isolated in men.
So if you became friendly with a man you thought was gay, got really close to him, then a year or so down the line you found out that he was straight, would you suddenly hate him?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (268)
34.1%
No (518)
65.9%

Watched Threads