au pair america Watch

This discussion is closed.
lumpycustard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
has anyone ever done this before?

if so what was it like? how did u go about it?

OR do u no someone else who has done it? how was it for them?

Does anyone know any webistes or help that i could read up to learn more about it?

i am really interested in taking this up before xmas this yr. i no it wil cost me around £450 but i av worked out i could save that up while i work. il also be learning to drive so that sint a problem. i have a C grade for GCSE child development plus lots of experiance babysitting 1 - 10 yr olds.

thnks
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lumpycustard)

Does anyone know any webistes or help that i could read up to learn more about it?

i am really interested in taking this up before xmas this yr. i no it wil cost me around £450 but i av worked out i could save that up while i work. il also be learning to drive so that sint a problem. i have a C grade for GCSE child development plus lots of experiance babysitting 1 - 10 yr olds.

thnks
How long would you want to do this for? How much would you expect it to pay?
serious narb
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
what is this? :confused:
TK
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
*RETARD ALERT* what is au pair?
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
(Original post by Howard)
How long would you want to do this for? How much would you expect it to pay?
well i was hopin for 12months. i was on aupairamerica.co.uk and u get a minimum of $140 a week to spend on urself. however, u dont have to worry about rent or bills (except phone)
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
well i was hopin for 12months. i was on aupairamerica.co.uk and u get a minimum of $140 a week to spend on urself. however, u dont have to worry about rent or bills (except phone)
Sounds about right. Is it difficult to get a VISA for this type of job?
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
(Original post by Howard)
Sounds about right. Is it difficult to get a VISA for this type of job?
im not sure. the agency i wil b signin up with says they deal with all the legalities.. im not sure if that includes a visa and/or worl permit
James_W
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
*RETARD ALERT* what is au pair?
A bit like Louise Woodward (the murderer) a fulltime babysister.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Just make sure you're completely happy with the responsibilities/family you get placed with...if you have any doubts get out. Don't tough it out like Louise Woodward did

http://www.cnn.com/US/9710/30/au.pair.verdict/
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
(Original post by James_W)
i wont b like that, even tho my name is louise hehe! i love kids tho i wudnt do anythin to harm a kiddywinkle!
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by James_W)
So was she convicted in the end of murder?
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i wont b like that, even tho my name is louise hehe! i love kids tho i wudnt do anythin to harm a kiddywinkle!
If i was a baby living in America, I'd be very worried right now.
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
(Original post by *reasoning*)
If i was a baby living in America, I'd be very worried right now.
y???
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
now theres more people about what dya think?

oops i messed up on my sig!
emmamarshall99
Report 15 years ago
Hi
My name is Emma Marshall ,I am a coordinator of the Au Pair in America Program and also a past Au Pair.Anyone wishing for any information or a chat about the program please refer to our website www.aupairamerica.co.uk and/or email me with your name,location and telephone number to [email protected] and I will aim to call you back asap for a chat regarding your interest.
Emma Marshall
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
make sure u don't end up falling for the father of the kids ur 'au pair'ing' for...

like those ppl on the channel 4 program.
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My cousin was an au pair and it ended in disaster - admittedly it was in Turkey though. I expect the biggest problem would be having to remain very mature under a lot of stress despite being in a totally alien and possibly upsetting/hostile situation.
sashh
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
if you want to Au pair then the money is better in Europe.

There was a documentry about one of these companies on a while ago - it did look like exploitation.

One girl was driving her 'host' family's car and a deer ran into it, she had to pay for the damage out of her money.

Another family wouldn't let the au pair use the car, so she had to walk 1/2 hour to visit the nearest other au pair, otherwise she was stuck in the house oh and one had a problem with the father of the family, the day she arrived he slipped a not under the door making sexual advances. When she complained to the co-ordinator and asked to be moved the co-ordinator said "oh no, not again".

I'm sure many people have excellent experiences, some don't. Ever heard of Louise Woodward?

If you do this go into it with your eyes open and enough money for a return ticket.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by bono)
So was she convicted in the end of murder?
That case was rediculous. She should never have been found guilty of murder in the first place. I am preety sure her conviction was over turned or something like that and she is now back in the UK.
SamTheMan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

thnks
I went out with an au pair girl in Boston.
You'll usually end up living with an extremely wealthy family but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll be very nice. My ex was with some religious fanatics but they were harmless. If you come from a European country, you'll usually be treated quite nicely and it's great way to discover the country (you're allowed to some holidays) and to make some easy money but you definitely have to like kids.
A lot of au pair girls come from South America and they're often used as maids by unscrupulous families.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (32)
17.49%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (28)
15.3%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (39)
21.31%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (66)
36.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (7)
3.83%
No particular grades needed (11)
6.01%