The Student Room Group

Government and Politics students! NEED YOUR HELP!

So, i got 2 A's in 2 of my AS subjects (geography and business and economics). But i got a D in chemistry :/. My aim is to apply for IR at LSE, therefore higher grades are needed!. this year i have decided to drop chemistry and take up Government and Politics but to do it in a year! I will be taught the AS stuff at school but i will have to teach the A2 myself. I love current affairs etc. (you might be wondering why i didnt pick it before, its because i didnt know what i wanted to do etc, long story). So my question is, that is it possible to complete gov and politics in a year and achieve an A*? i know theoretically its possible but is it really? Also how hard is it? exam board is edexcel by the way. thanks in advance guys. im really worried.
Original post by daalchaval
So, i got 2 A's in 2 of my AS subjects (geography and business and economics). But i got a D in chemistry :/. My aim is to apply for IR at LSE, therefore higher grades are needed!. this year i have decided to drop chemistry and take up Government and Politics but to do it in a year! I will be taught the AS stuff at school but i will have to teach the A2 myself. I love current affairs etc. (you might be wondering why i didnt pick it before, its because i didnt know what i wanted to do etc, long story). So my question is, that is it possible to complete gov and politics in a year and achieve an A*? i know theoretically its possible but is it really? Also how hard is it? exam board is edexcel by the way. thanks in advance guys. im really worried.

It's definitely do-able, though it might be a tad more difficult seeing as you're only allowed June exams (which is foolish in my opinion) and on top of your other subjects, this may be a bit much, so the first question you have to ask yourself is are you prepared for 8 exams in June next year?

I did 3 Politics modules over this past year Unit 2, 3 and 4 and came out with an A overall in Politics so I'm sure if you put the work in then an A/A* is possible especially if you have an interest in current affairs as the examiners LOVE up to date examples, these are vital for your exams so keep up to date and get the materials in class.

In reality, it's not the hardest subject ever, I found economics much harder but I struggle with maths so maybe that's why but basically if you can write and structure essays well and have all the content and examples down, you'll do fine.

If you need anymore advice let me know :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Superunknown17
It's definitely do-able, though it might be a tad more difficult seeing as you're only allowed June exams (which is foolish in my opinion) and on top of your other subjects, this may be a bit much, so the first question you have to ask yourself is are you prepared for 8 exams in June next year?

I did 3 Politics modules over this past year Unit 2, 3 and 4 and came out with an A overall in Politics so I'm sure if you put the work in then an A/A* is possible especially if you have an interest in current affairs as the examiners LOVE up to date examples, these are vital for your exams so keep up to date and get the materials in class.

In reality, it's not the hardest subject ever, I found economics much harder but I struggle with maths so maybe that's why but basically if you can write and structure essays well and have all the content and examples down, you'll do fine.

If you need anymore advice let me know :smile:

brilliant. yeah sure thanks!
Yeah doable imo. Put in a fair bit of effort and if you're reasonably good at writing essays (which I am presuming you are) and you should be fine. I did AQA so can't comment on the board (but I will say AQA would be perfect for your situation, alas) but I think you will do well if you work and especially if you have an interest in politics generally.
Original post by daalchaval

I want to do politics at university, have found it okay all year, didn't revise it much at all for AS, freaked out on results day, cried in the queue... and then got a really high A. It's super easy to be honest, though I took a different board, but it's not tricky just get loads of examples that's what they love - TIME magazine is good, but any news is good news in this scenario :smile: you can do it! Also loads of us can help you throughout the year if you need extra help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest