The Student Room Group

Regretting my choice of firm - please help!

I really really dont know what to do about university. I got AAA in my alevels and ive firmed a place at Exeter for History, French and Italian, but the more I think about it, the more I really, really dont want to go. Ive read so much about Exeter that makes it seem like I'll hate it there- the elitism, the capitalism of the uni - and when I went there I wasnt overly keen on the campus and I just got a really unfriendly vibe from it that put me off. I only really firmed Exeter as a last minute decision because it was the only place I could do history. I really really regret turning down my offer of modern languages from UCL - everyone told me it was the course that mattered, not the uni, but I loved UCL so much and felt really at home there, and although I thought I really wanted to do history, I dont really have a goal for the future and only chose it because its something I enjoy. Im considering having a gap year and reapplying to UCL, but its something I dont really want to do - I dont want to be a year behind everyone else (especially since with my year abroad, and a post-grad course, itll be 7 years before I can get a job), and I dont want an aimless year drifting along in my hometown without my friends. I just feel so lost - every time I think about going to Exeter I just get this horrible sense of dread and start crying - Im convinced I wont fit in there, and Im terrified if I go there Ill end up dropping out. Im not even sure history and languages is something I want to do - its something I enjoy and Im good at but its not a very "useful" degree - I was originally considering something like nursing. I dont really know if anyone will be able to help, but I could really use some advise, especially from anyone whose been in a similar situation. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Honestly if you really don't think you will be happy there then don't go, but you've probably read about a handful of people whereas most of the people could be really nice. Also, since you're opting for a post grad i think it's really important you find a place that you really like :smile:. I've heard Exeter is really nice, i'd love to go there!
Reply 2
Changing your mind is allowed! Are you eligible for UCAS adjustment? Otherwise you can contact ucas and ask to make a change, worst case scenario you reject the offer, take a gap year and reapply, they cannot retract their offer to you if it doesn't work out and you decide to go to Exeter. As for taking a gap year and feeling behind, plenty of people do this and people apply for first year of all ages so don't worry, age doesn't really matter in uni and you'll meet new friends in your course who will be at the same stage as you when you go.
You have good A levels so next year you shouldnt have a problem. I definitely think you should take a year to think about not only the course but also the university; dont go somewhere you dont want to go, I wasnt in that position but I had no intention of going anywhere apart from my firm. Youll be spending at least 3 years there though so make sure its right! If you need to take another year to decide then it will be worth it and in the meantime you can get a job, go travelling, anything - loads of people take gap years!
Reply 4
Don't rush into £40k+ of debt just because you feel pressured into going to university this year. AAA are great grades, and if you reapply for next year you're almost certain to get straight on whatever course you apply for. If you really don't want to go to Exeter and you've exhausted all other possibilities (clearing, adjustment etc.), just don't go. Take a year out and really think about what course and uni you want to drop £40k on.
Exeter is a top uni for history.. Anyways, if you are going to go to uni with that state of mind, then chances are you will more than likely not be happy there. But you never know what happens in life, you might actually end up loving it. So I would advice you to revisit Exeter and to rethink about taking a gap year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending