The Student Room Group

Confused about what subject to do next year!!!!

Hi guys,
Basically I've just finished my second year of college. I am interested in applying for Pharmacy MPharm for 2014 entry. My results for this academic year were:
* A2 Psychology - B
* AS Chemistry - B
* AS Maths - B
* AS Accounting - D

As I have finished my A-level in psychology with a grade B secured, I am looking to drop this, and I was looking to take the other 3 subjects (Chemistry, maths, accounting) to A2 level in September. However, because I've already got a grade B in A-level psychology already (which I can use as part of my pharmacy offer), I only need 2 more A-levels in chemistry and maths..... would I be able to drop accounting next year and just study chemistry and maths A2 next year only?

If my college makes me take three subjects next year (which I think normally happens), would you suggest me taking A2 Accounting or AS Biology or something like this? One of the reasons I was thinking of Biology is that it is beneficial for my degree course but not compulsory, also I've got nothing to lose in studying it, as I already will be studying for my other 2 Alevels. However, i've not studied Biology since triple science GCSE at high school and I got a C in Biology (however that was 2 years ago!). So I need some advice if possible, on what I could take for my 3rd subject next year if they make me take a third subject. Of course if they let me take just chemistry and maths A2 next year i'll just carry on with that though. Any other opinions on what to take for 3rd subject next year if I have to? Thanks! :biggrin:

EDIT : To be fair, if I have to, i'd want to pick an 'easy' subject to do as my 3rd subject next year
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by spanishovenfork
Hi guys,
Basically I've just finished my second year of college. I am interested in applying for Pharmacy MPharm for 2014 entry. My results for this academic year were:
* A2 Psychology - B
* AS Chemistry - B
* AS Maths - B
* AS Accounting - D

As I have finished my A-level in psychology with a grade B secured, I am looking to drop this, and I was looking to take the other 3 subjects (Chemistry, maths, accounting) to A2 level in September. However, because I've already got a grade B in A-level psychology already (which I can use as part of my pharmacy offer), I only need 2 more A-levels in chemistry and maths..... would I be able to drop accounting next year and just study chemistry and maths A2 next year only?

If my college makes me take three subjects next year (which I think normally happens), would you suggest me taking A2 Accounting or AS Biology or something like this? One of the reasons I was thinking of Biology is that it is beneficial for my degree course but not compulsory, also I've got nothing to lose in studying it, as I already will be studying for my other 2 Alevels. However, i've not studied Biology since triple science GCSE at high school and I got a C in Biology (however that was 2 years ago!). So I need some advice if possible, on what I could take for my 3rd subject next year if they make me take a third subject. Of course if they let me take just chemistry and maths A2 next year i'll just carry on with that though. Any other opinions on what to take for 3rd subject next year if I have to? Thanks! :biggrin:

EDIT : To be fair, if I have to, i'd want to pick an 'easy' subject to do as my 3rd subject next year

I think u should do maths and chemistry at a2 level and do as level biology and if u can resit some of ur AS level accounting modules then do that too. Good Luck:smile:
Hi guys,
* A2 Psychology - B
* AS Chemistry - B
* AS Maths - B
* AS Accounting - D

You most definitely need Chemistry for A2. No doubt about that. I would personally say do the A2 in chemistry and maths. That'll leave you with 3 good A levels. Aim for A's in the respective two you decide to do since most universities require AAB. It's better you do 3 A levels and get AAB rather than try for 4 full A levels and get ABBB or lower.
Original post by Thisisthened
You most definitely need Chemistry for A2. No doubt about that. I would personally say do the A2 in chemistry and maths. That'll leave you with 3 good A levels. Aim for A's in the respective two you decide to do since most universities require AAB. It's better you do 3 A levels and get AAB rather than try for 4 full A levels and get ABBB or lower.

Cheers for the reply. My college have a policy that a student has to study at least 3 academic subjects a year in order to be classed as a 'full time student'; I am definitely going to carry on A2 Chemistry and A2 Maths, but I decided to just re-sit my AS Accounting again just to use as a third subject this year. I couldn't be bothered with picking up AS Biology as I didn't want it to waste too much of my time!
Cheers for the reply. My college have a policy that a student has to study at least 3 academic subjects a year in order to be classed as a 'full time student'; I am definitely going to carry on A2 Chemistry and A2 Maths, but I decided to just re-sit my AS Accounting again just to use as a third subject this year. I couldn't be bothered with picking up AS Biology as I didn't want it to waste too much of my time!

I can undestand their policy since most places apply that but they should make an exception since you've already done one full A level!

That's a good idea, bring the grade up as high as you can and work hard on Chemistry and Maths, good luck on your A levels and application to uni :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending