The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

New band ????

Hi

Just wondered if anyone fancies setting up a band when we get to uni? I'm having to leave my current band because it's going to be way too far for me to travel back to Bolton for gigs etc. I play lead guitar and am into all sorts of music - The Buzzcocks, The Raconteurs, The Vaccines, Foo Fighters, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Zutons, Rolling Stones, Ramones, Libertines, Babyshambles, Queen, The Cure, Stranglers, The Clash, Killers, Muse, Amy Winehouse, Smiths, Radiohead, Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys, The View, White Lies, The Strokes, Morrissey, The Courteeners, Franz Ferdinand, Kings of Leon, The Strokes, The Who, The Coral etc etc.......

http://soundcloud.com/jcarty-1 (a few originals, covers and old college stuff)

If anyone is interested please get in touch.

Cheers James
Reply 1
I was thinking of something similar when I've moved in and got everything sorted. I play guitar (lead or rhythm but I don't like playing solos), mainly into hard rock, metal and punk but I like most of the bands you mentioned. (Billy Talent, System of a Down, Blue Oyster Cult, AC/DC, Gallows, White Stripes - kind of stuff I usually play).
There's probably a society for people looking to form bands and play music, and if not, it shouldn't be too hard to make one.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
yeah, there probably will be ;o) Not sure where to store all my gear though - my room's gonna be chocker.

James
Reply 3
I was just going to bring an acoustic and electric guitar and leave everything else at home. I'm sure the University Music Department has amps people can use and playing with one in your halls will just make you really unpopular so I wasn't going to bother bringing mine :biggrin:
Reply 4
yeah, I was thinking that ;o) I've got a really tiny amp that I got with my first ever electric guitar, I might take that.

James
Reply 5
I mainly play lead and rhythm on electric guitar, also got a electro-acoustic ukulele and acoustic guitar though..... I mainly play oldies rock; led zep, pink floyd, beatles, lynyrd skynyrd, dire straits, the who, Jimi Hendrix etc.

My main guitar is a double neck SG (Jimmy page being a influence), but will probably not have that until second term, due to lack of boot space, so I'll be bringing my Les Paul first term.

If you're interested, hit me up, there's a music room at my hall (Wantage), and proper music practice rooms down in London Road campus. There are probably more, but those are the ones I tried and tested last year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Cleomenes
I was thinking of something similar when I've moved in and got everything sorted. I play guitar (lead or rhythm but I don't like playing solos), mainly into hard rock, metal and punk but I like most of the bands you mentioned. (Billy Talent, System of a Down, Blue Oyster Cult, AC/DC, Gallows, White Stripes - kind of stuff I usually play).
There's probably a society for people looking to form bands and play music, and if not, it shouldn't be too hard to make one.

There's a facebook page for said society, where people do this. Can find a link if anyone wants it.
Reply 7
Original post by kog
I mainly play lead and rhythm on electric guitar, also got a electro-acoustic ukulele and acoustic guitar though..... I mainly play oldies rock; led zep, pink floyd, beatles, lynyrd skynyrd, dire straits, the who, Jimi Hendrix etc.

My main guitar is a double neck SG (Jimmy page being a influence), but will probably not have that until second term, due to lack of boot space, so I'll be bringing my Les Paul first term.

If you're interested, hit me up, there's a music room at my hall (Wantage), and proper music practice rooms down in London Road campus. There are probably more, but those are the ones I tried and tested last year.

Cool - I would def be interested. Are there amps we can use? My main amp is a Marshall Valvestate AVT 275 (150 watt gigging amp), it's great but REALLY bulky and heavy. If I do end up getting a band together I'll need to use it for gigging but for now it'll have to stay at home until at least the first lot of holidays.

James
Reply 8
Original post by kog
There's a facebook page for said society, where people do this. Can find a link if anyone wants it.

Link would be great - cheers James
Reply 9
Original post by jcarty
Cool - I would def be interested. Are there amps we can use? My main amp is a Marshall Valvestate AVT 275 (150 watt gigging amp), it's great but REALLY bulky and heavy. If I do end up getting a band together I'll need to use it for gigging but for now it'll have to stay at home until at least the first lot of holidays.

James

Same position, main amp is a Vox 100watt thing from the 80's that weighs a friggin ton. I just brought my practice amp and pedals with me last year, which was loud enough to jam with, but never got around to gigging. I don't `think` there are amps, I can't seem to remember there being any in London Road (might be though), only went once, every other time it was closed (they do have a electronic drum kit though, iirc). Wantage hall is hardly a music room (not even being soundproof), but it was the most convinient for me, so I normally was always there, I `think` there may be ones on campus as well, never looked for them though.
Reply 10
Original post by kog

Link would be great thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest