The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Are there asians (Brit desi's) at the university of surrey??

I'am an undergraduate and am joining surrey as of this september and im worried that there may not asians at this uni. It is not a racist matter, i would just like a group of the same ethnicity as i find it a little more comfortable as everybody else does, as i do not want to be isolated :smile:. By asians i mean, indians, pakistani's , bangladeshi's etc, British desi's is a better term. Once again this is just for my knowledge and iam only enquiring as ive heard the racial diversity of this university is limited. Thank you =)
Reply 1
No :smile:
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
Ahh i had the same worry lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a British Pakistani who is also starting in September :smile:. From what I know Surrey is pretty diverse, so I'm sure there will be loads of people from different backgrounds.
Hi! I’m the Vice-President (Societies & Individual Development) of the Students’ Union. You have absolutely nothing to worry about; the University of Surrey has an incredibly diverse student population, whether a UK Ethnic (like myself!) or an International Student coming into the country for the first time you can guarantee that you’re not alone and you’ll have an amazing time here!

We currently have the following International Societies: Afro-Caribbean Society, Arabic Society, Asian Society, Brunel Society, Cypriot Society, Hellenic Society, Honk Kong, Indian Students Association, Iranian Society, Malaysian Society, Nepalese Society, Nigerian Society, Pakistani Students Association, Spanish Society, Thai Society, and VietSoc. The list is ever growing, and if you want to create a new society, you can!

Check out and sign up to ANY of our Societies and Sports Clubs at Freshers’ Fayre on Friday 4th October.

We’re looking forward to welcoming you at Surrey!
Reply 5
Yes there are loads, there's also an Indian society which is pretty big so don't worry! :smile:
I went to a ucas convention and they only had white people there and the people I know applying there are white and well its white, not that its bad, but yeah I don't know any Asians going there :s-smilie:
Reply 7
does it have to British?

I'm a Chinese student studying here this October, hope can make some friends:smile:
Original post by Maz VP Surrey
Hi! I’m the Vice-President (Societies & Individual Development) of the Students’ Union. You have absolutely nothing to worry about; the University of Surrey has an incredibly diverse student population, whether a UK Ethnic (like myself!) or an International Student coming into the country for the first time you can guarantee that you’re not alone and you’ll have an amazing time here!

We currently have the following International Societies: Afro-Caribbean Society, Arabic Society, Asian Society, Brunel Society, Cypriot Society, Hellenic Society, Honk Kong, Indian Students Association, Iranian Society, Malaysian Society, Nepalese Society, Nigerian Society, Pakistani Students Association, Spanish Society, Thai Society, and VietSoc. The list is ever growing, and if you want to create a new society, you can!

Check out and sign up to ANY of our Societies and Sports Clubs at Freshers’ Fayre on Friday 4th October.

We’re looking forward to welcoming you at Surrey!

Any idea if the Pakistani Students Association is still running? I tried looking for information on it but it all seems to be old.
Reply 9
Original post by Blueray2
I went to a ucas convention and they only had white people there and the people I know applying there are white and well its white, not that its bad, but yeah I don't know any Asians going there :s-smilie:

That's a very small sample to base an entire university off though...

But as has been said, Surrey has a massively diverse community, and is often touted as being one of the most diverse universities there is. So you won't have a problem at all :smile:.
Reply 10
I am British Asian too,Indian to be exact.
I have heard that Surrey is pretty multicultural, so we wont be alone :smile:
What are you studying?
Reply 11
Original post by Sam_94
I'am an undergraduate and am joining surrey as of this september and im worried that there may not asians at this uni. It is not a racist matter, i would just like a group of the same ethnicity as i find it a little more comfortable as everybody else does, as i do not want to be isolated :smile:. By asians i mean, indians, pakistani's , bangladeshi's etc, British desi's is a better term. Once again this is just for my knowledge and iam only enquiring as ive heard the racial diversity of this university is limited. Thank you =)

HEY
I might be starting the uni of surrey this sep and was wondering the same thing? since youve posted this question a while ago, i was hoping you could give me an insight on how the diversity is? im hoping to join the indian society but ive heard its no that big
{[Accounting + Business] - [Medicine + Pharmacy]} / Guildford = "not many"
Reply 13
Original post by cambio wechsel
{[Accounting + Business] - [Medicine + Pharmacy]} / Guildford = "not many"

OH **** MAN :frown: wish there were enough
Original post by voss
OH **** MAN :frown: wish there were enough

oh that was one of my jokes*, only ignore it.

*I perhaps should start making them funny, yes.
Reply 15
Original post by cambio wechsel
oh that was one of my jokes*, only ignore it.

*I perhaps should start making them funny, yes.

and that was me being sarcastic,
I perhaps should try harder, yes.
Original post by voss
HEY
I might be starting the uni of surrey this sep and was wondering the same thing? since youve posted this question a while ago, i was hoping you could give me an insight on how the diversity is? im hoping to join the indian society but ive heard its no that big

Hi Voss,

Thanks for your message :smile:

Surrey is an incredibly diverse university, with students from over 120 different countries. There are many societies that are of special interest to Asian students, and they hold many great events throughout the year. You can find a full list of all the societies available at Surrey here: https://www.ussu.co.uk/ClubsSocieties/societies/Pages/Society-Websites.aspx

I would recommend perhaps trying to find each society on Facebook, as the members normally plan things via their own facebook groups rather than on the society websites :smile: I'm sure if you dropped them a message they would be more than happy to answer any questions you have as an Asian student.

Hope this helps and hopefully see you in September!

All the best,
Ashley

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending