Will maths studies allow me to study dentistry at a UK university?

ReputationRep:
    I am doing the diploma with higher level biology and chemistry which is necessary for dentistry but to ensure the highest possible point score, I would rather maths studies but would this allow me to study dentistry at university in the UK?

My other options are to study biology or pharmacy. Would maths studies be acceptable for these?

I believe that an A level student with Bio, chemistry and no maths at A level would be accepted but if I do maths studies at IB (which is better than no maths at a levels) I won't be accepted. Explain?

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    I did maths studies and although dentistry was just about the last thing I was going to consider, I was surprised to find that, had I wanted, I could have studied dentistry at Edinburgh. You oughta control if the requirements have changed, but last time I checked, you need 66 at higher level, including bio hl (and/or chem hl - I'm shaky on the detail). All I remember though is that I did maths studies sl, and bio hl as my only science subject, and I would have qualified The world of dentistry didn't lose much in me though.

Hope that helps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewisarbucks)
    I am doing the diploma with higher level biology and chemistry which is necessary for dentistry but to ensure the highest possible point score, I would rather maths studies but would this allow me to study dentistry at university in the UK?

My other options are to study biology or pharmacy. Would maths studies be acceptable for these?

I believe that an A level student with Bio, chemistry and no maths at A level would be accepted but if I do maths studies at IB (which is better than no maths at a levels) I won't be accepted. Explain?

Thanks!!
    I'm having the same problem studies would be such a cake walk with no work

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewisarbucks)

Thanks!!
    Bonjour from an ex-IB student! Are you IB 1 or 2? First of all, good luck for your IB exams.

Now, getting down to business, if you're applying to university in the UK, what you need to do is think about your choices: where do you want to go? Pick five choices and then look at their entry requirements. The entry requirements listed for your universities of choice should be your guide.

Bonne chance!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=aamin96;44251787]I'm having the same problem studies would be such a cake walk with no work

Yea I agree, it would give more time also for getting highest possible at chemistry and biology.
    Any IB students doing dentistry with a definite answer?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=lewisarbucks;44252116]
    (Original post by aamin96)
    I'm having the same problem studies would be such a cake walk with no work

Yea I agree, it would give more time also for getting highest possible at chemistry and biology.
    Any IB students doing dentistry with a definite answer?
    You an international student?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yip! My friend doing the IB is applying for dentistry now and she's doing math studies and it perfectly okay

ReputationRep:
    If i study standard level biology and Chemistry will i still be able to apply for dentistry ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by safifi)
    If i study standard level biology and Chemistry will i still be able to apply for dentistry ?
    I believe you should check the entry requirements on uni websites to double check.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 1, 2017
TSR Support Team
Poll
Tea vs coffee
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.