HATE allocated accommodation - how do I change?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
amineamine2
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So I've just been allocated student accommodation and it's in third party halls and I don't know if I will cope with sharing toilets, showers and kitchens.
I haven't had a sheltered life or anything, but I'm a very private person.

So is there a way of rejecting this offer yet still be allocated university accommodation? Or is this the only offer I can get, and rejecting it means I'll reject student accommodation as a whole?

Thanks
amineamine2
Rep:
?
anyone
Sam DIGS
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by amineamine2)
So I've just been allocated student accommodation and it's in third party halls and I don't know if I will cope with sharing toilets, showers and kitchens.

So is there a way of rejecting this offer yet still be allocated university accommodation? Or is this the only offer I can get, and rejecting it means I'll reject student accommodation as a whole?

Thanks
Hi there!

Sorry to hear you've been allocated somewhere you're not entirely happy with :-(

My advice for this is to a) speak to your university accommodation office. You are likely to be able to turn down your accommodation offer, but this may mean you will have to find accommodation yourself (not necessarily a bad thing!), b) if you don't want to turn this offer down without having another place in mind, book a viewing at the particular halls and go and see it in person, it may be nicer than you think and c) have you considered looking at private halls in the town/city? Many private halls are run exactly the same way as university halls and most halls now-a-days have ensuite facilities.

I hope this helps, if you need any advice, please get in touch! I work for a student accommodation provider and have lots of tips and tricks up my sleeve!

:-)
amineamine2
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sam DIGS)
Hi there!

Sorry to hear you've been allocated somewhere you're not entirely happy with :-(

My advice for this is to a) speak to your university accommodation office. You are likely to be able to turn down your accommodation offer, but this may mean you will have to find accommodation yourself (not necessarily a bad thing!), b) if you don't want to turn this offer down without having another place in mind, book a viewing at the particular halls and go and see it in person, it may be nicer than you think and c) have you considered looking at private halls in the town/city? Many private halls are run exactly the same way as university halls and most halls now-a-days have ensuite facilities.

I hope this helps, if you need any advice, please get in touch! I work for a student accommodation provider and have lots of tips and tricks up my sleeve!

:-)
Thank you for your advice, it was very helpful. I will try and contact my university accommodation officer to see if there's anything else available. If not, I'll view the place and then re-evaluate. If I still didn't like it, I'll come back at you.
The reason I haven't looked at private halls are because I'd prefer to be with other students of my university to make friends easier and all that.

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Thanks
usually its the only offer you'll get until your allowed to swap a few weeks into term but not before so your sure you dont like it. if your wanting to make friends then accomodation where you don't share anything i.e. studio flats aren't a great option as they are very unsociable- often favoured by internationals and postgrads who just want peace and quiet.

and besides, you have to share everything in second year + anyway in a house share unless your lucky enough to get an ensuite. you say your private but you'll still have the bathroom to yourself and you can't get through univerisity living away from home and not sharing a kitchen.
amineamine2
Rep:
?
(Original post by jelly1000)
usually its the only offer you'll get until your allowed to swap a few weeks into term but not before so your sure you dont like it. if your wanting to make friends then accomodation where you don't share anything i.e. studio flats aren't a great option as they are very unsociable- often favoured by internationals and postgrads who just want peace and quiet.

and besides, you have to share everything in second year + anyway in a house share unless your lucky enough to get an ensuite. you say your private but you'll still have the bathroom to yourself and you can't get through univerisity living away from home and not sharing a kitchen.
Thank you for your reply. Well, that does put a new perspective to things...maybe my allocated accommodation isn't too bad after all. If I didnt like it and can swap a few weeks into the course then that's great.

Thanks again.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thank you for your reply. Well, that does put a new perspective to things...maybe my allocated accommodation isn't too bad after all. If I didnt like it and can swap a few weeks into the course then that's great.

Thanks again.
it shouldn't be any worse than being at home at the moment. by bathroom to yourself i mean that whilst your in it you have complete privacy as you would be the only one in there.
amineamine2
Rep:
?
it shouldn't be any worse than being at home at the moment. by bathroom to yourself i mean that whilst your in it you have complete privacy as you would be the only one in there.
Yeah I understand. Will there not be a lot of queueing in the morning though? Pardon my ignorance lol.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah I understand. Will there not be a lot of queueing in the morning though? Pardon my ignorance lol.
no because people start at different times
Moosferatu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Get practicing those tactical dumps.
amineamine2
Rep:
?
no because people start at different times
ohh I see. Thanks!
amineamine2
Rep:
?
(Original post by Moosferatu)
Get practicing those tactical dumps.
I was more worried about queueing in the morning but okay lol
moonkatt
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Generally you'll find there's a few shower cubicles, not just one like you have at home.
Moosferatu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There will be multiple cubicles for both showers and toilets I should imagine. If it's not a cubicle system then there will be multiple washrooms scattered around the place.

If you have cubicles and are a private person, you'll need to time your movements according to the hours of decreased flat activity. Also, brace yourself for the unavoidable siege situations. Surely you can guess.
amineamine2
Rep:
?
(Original post by moonkatt)
Generally you'll find there's a few shower cubicles, not just one like you have at home.
Oh I see, great.
And I'm so sorry but I accidently negged you! Stupid touchscreen, I'll give you a rep on your profile instead.
moonkatt
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh I see, great.
And I'm so sorry but I accidently negged you! Stupid touchscreen, I'll give you a rep on your profile instead.
Don't worry about it
Shadiee12
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey there,I know this post was a while ago but I was just wondering how you got on with changing your accommodation? I've been allocated Liberty Gardens and am extremely upset about this as none of my preferences have been respected and from what I've read it's quite out or of the way and doesn't have much of a community feel! I am an anxious person and have already been fretting about being away from home but this has really made me feel 100x more anxious about the move.I have emailed and called accommodation services who have asked me to provide proof of my anxiety which is fine, do you think I have any hope of being reallocated? Any advice and suggestions would be great!Thanks x
study_blr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Shadiee12)
Hey there,I know this post was a while ago but I was just wondering how you got on with changing your accommodation? I've been allocated Liberty Gardens and am extremely upset about this as none of my preferences have been respected and from what I've read it's quite out or of the way and doesn't have much of a community feel! I am an anxious person and have already been fretting about being away from home but this has really made me feel 100x more anxious about the move.I have emailed and called accommodation services who have asked me to provide proof of my anxiety which is fine, do you think I have any hope of being reallocated? Any advice and suggestions would be great!Thanks x
Very late response sorry! but did you end up getting re-allocated? x
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by study_blr)
Very late response sorry! but did you end up getting re-allocated? x
This thread is 6 years old, so I don't think you're likely to get an answer.
study_blr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
This thread is 6 years old, so I don't think you're likely to get an answer.
I know that but the member may still be on here and answer. Hence why the 'very late response'
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (190)
29.41%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.41%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.98%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.36%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.89%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.88%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.25%

Watched Threads