Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick biomedical science

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Loopy456
Hi :smile:

I've just finished my second year so I can help you guys out.

1) That link from Lethorio shows all the modules. They're all fairly interesting. The options were (when I did them) Quantitative Biology, Environmental Biology, Animal and Plant Biology, Health and the Community and a psychology module. This might have changed but I think it was the same last year so maybe not.

2) When I did the first year exams (bear in mind that this was two years ago), there was a variety of exam styles, including half MCQ, half short answers (PGG, I think), just multiple choice (AID and Phys and Met), computer-based (Biostats) and half short answers, half essay (optional modules). Cells, Tissues and Organisms wasn't a module when I did first year, so I can't tell you about that.

3) There isn't really a syllabus so to speak, but I can give you an idea of each of the modules-
- PGG is your basic grounding in human biology (lots of eukaryotic cell structure and transcription/translation sorts of things)
- AID is an introduction to immunology, microbiology and virology, with a bit of population biology thrown in
- Phys and Met is quite a bit of biochemistry in the Met section (the reactions that make up respiration and photosynthesis mainly) and the Phys stuff is split up into sections like respiratory physiology, cardio, muscle function etc.
- Biostats is all done on Excel, about learning how to interpret experimental data (a lot of people struggle a bit in this module, just to warn you, but there is a new Mac Suite with c. 150 Macs which the lectures are taught in and makes it about a thousand times easier than when I did the course)
- Health and the Community (an optional) is about stuff like water-borne diseases and food poisoning and disease outbreaks, with a bit of bioterrorism thrown in which was brilliant and everyone's favourite part (I would really recommend doing this module as a biomed - it's the only one which is properly relevant to the course)
- Animal and Plant Biology (an optional) is basically simple evolution with certain bits focused on (frogs and sponges spring to mind...) - a lot of biomeds hate it because it is hard and not relevant so people don't want to bother trying, but if you're vaguely interested in evolution it is good, although I found the plant bit awfully dull despite enjoying the animal/human side

I hope that helps you, and I'm really happy to answer any more specific questions you might have :smile: You'll enjoy Warwick - it's amazing!

Hi! :smile:
All your advice has been super helpful on here, but just wanted to ask, on average, how much work would you say needs to be put in after lectures and on weekends to obtain a good score for the year? Would you say you were studying every weekday afternoon? Also do biomed students typically have paper notes or digital notes?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 21
Original post by Hootie*
Hi! :smile:
All your advice has been super helpful on here, but just wanted to ask, on average, how much work would you say needs to be put in after lectures and on weekends to obtain a good score for the year? Would you say you were studying every weekday afternoon? Also do biomed students typically have paper notes or digital notes?

Oh good, I'm glad you found it useful!

Hmm, that's a tricky one. I have to say that I can't give you a definite answer, simply because I didn't work hard enough in first year. I did all my assignments and lab reports and revision just fine, but I didn't keep up with writing up lecture notes and making sure I understood everything, which lead to a hugely stressful revision period and I absolutely do not recommend doing this. That being said, I still got a First at the end of first year, but only because for two weeks before my exam period I had three hours of sleep a night and just about killed myself.

Urgh, I'm rambling because I really don't have a clear answer to this question. I'd say that it's not necessary to have to work late every night and all weekend to get an excellent grade in first year (as I got a First). My best advice would probably to be work a 9 til 5 day (or 11 til 7, 12 til 8 - you get the point) - there will be many hours of the day when you're not in lectures and the temptation is to stay in bed until midday or just lounge around when you get back from your 10 o'clock lecture and have nothing to do all day. When necessary, evenings and weekends can then be used to work on lab reports and to revise for the in-module tests that you have every two or three weeks. That's what I wish I'd done.

About paper versus digital notes, I'm not sure if you mean notes taken in lectures or notes written up afterwards, so I'll answer both! In lectures, most lecturers hand out notes, which basically consist of their lecture slides printed out, which students can then annotate. The vast majority of people take notes like this, and many go so far as to print out their own copies as not all lecturers bring notes with them (for some modules they have to print out c. 250 copies!). People do written-up notes in a wide variety of ways - some people write things up on note-paper, collating information from their notes, the lecture slides and books/the internet, other people do the same on their laptop and then print out, other people make mind-maps and charts and so on. I personally do it the other way around - I have a notebook for each module which I take notes in in lectures and then I annotate the lecture slides when I'm reviewing the lectures, but my friends all think I'm weird for doing that!

Oh, and I'll give you one piece of advice for free - do NOT leave lab reports and revision for in-module tests to the last night! It's not like school, where you can scramble together a coherent piece of work in a couple of hours. Lab reports especially take a LOT of time - I remembering sitting with my lab partner for over an hour puzzling over the instructions for a lab report before we could even start writing or calculating anything at all, and that was a fairly common occurrence. The main reason that people get bad marks for them is because they don't leave themselves enough time, or they just give up. On a Friday evening at 7 o'clock when you've been in the lab for six hours, the last thing you want to do is start the report, but the earlier you start it the better you will remember what you did - it is surprising how quickly you can forget the little details, and sometimes forgetting the little details means you will struggle a lot unless someone else has remembered and can remind you. I hope that hasn't scared you, but it's something I wish someone had told me.

(Wow, this reply is not a lesson in brevity, but I hope you find something useful amongst the ramble.)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
Oh good, I'm glad you found it useful!

Hmm, that's a tricky one. I have to say that I can't give you a definite answer, simply because I didn't work hard enough in first year. I did all my assignments and lab reports and revision just fine, but I didn't keep up with writing up lecture notes and making sure I understood everything, which lead to a hugely stressful revision period and I absolutely do not recommend doing this. That being said, I still got a First at the end of first year, but only because for two weeks before my exam period I had three hours of sleep a night and just about killed myself.

Urgh, I'm rambling because I really don't have a clear answer to this question. I'd say that it's not necessary to have to work late every night and all weekend to get an excellent grade in first year (as I got a First). My best advice would probably to be work a 9 til 5 day (or 11 til 7, 12 til 8 - you get the point) - there will be many hours of the day when you're not in lectures and the temptation is to stay in bed until midday or just lounge around when you get back from your 10 o'clock lecture and have nothing to do all day. When necessary, evenings and weekends can then be used to work on lab reports and to revise for the in-module tests that you have every two or three weeks. That's what I wish I'd done.

About paper versus digital notes, I'm not sure if you mean notes taken in lectures or notes written up afterwards, so I'll answer both! In lectures, most lecturers hand out notes, which basically consist of their lecture slides printed out, which students can then annotate. The vast majority of people take notes like this, and many go so far as to print out their own copies as not all lecturers bring notes with them (for some modules they have to print out c. 250 copies!). People do written-up notes in a wide variety of ways - some people write things up on note-paper, collating information from their notes, the lecture slides and books/the internet, other people do the same on their laptop and then print out, other people make mind-maps and charts and so on. I personally do it the other way around - I have an exercise book for each module which I take notes in in lectures and then I annotate the lecture slides when I'm reviewing the lectures, but my friends all think I'm weird for doing that!

Oh, and I'll give you one piece of advice for free - do NOT leave lab reports and revision for in-module tests to the last night! It's not like school, where you can scramble together a coherent piece of work in a couple of hours. Lab reports especially take a LOT of time - I remembering sitting with my lab partner for over an hour puzzling over the instructions for a lab report before we could even start writing or calculating anything at all, and that was a fairly common occurrence. The main reason that people get bad marks for them is because they don't leave themselves enough time, or they just give up. On a Friday evening at 7 o'clock when you've been in the lab for six hours, the last thing you want to do is start the report, but the earlier you start it the better you will remember what you did - it is surprising how quickly you can forget the little details, and sometimes forgetting the little details means you will struggle a lot unless someone else has remembered and can remind you. I hope that hasn't scared you, but it's something I wish someone had told me.

(Wow, this reply is not a lesson in brevity, but I hope you find something useful amongst the ramble.)

Awww, you're a star! :awesome:Couldn't have asked for a more detailed reply! :biggrin: And don't worry about the rambling, the more detail, the better! Congrats on the First! You must have worked so hard :smile:
Thanks so much! I hope I'm ready for a really good first year! :banana:
for practicals do you have a lab partner or is it all done by yourself?
Reply 24
Original post by AFC_123456789
for practicals do you have a lab partner or is it all done by yourself?

Yep, you have a lab partner. Most people find one person and stick with them for the year. Sometimes you each have to demonstrate that you can do a particular technique or something, and you each have to do your own lab report, but you always do the actual work with a partner and end up with the same set of results.
Hi
Anybody doing/done biomedical science at university with a lvl 3 btec extended diploma in applied science
Just want to know how difficult you found it
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
How are labs, generally? Do you find them boring? I'm worrying that maybe I don't have enough passion for science for this degree, and lab work may be dull?!
Reply 27
Original post by Ursin
How are labs, generally? Do you find them boring? I'm worrying that maybe I don't have enough passion for science for this degree, and lab work may be dull?!

Some of the labs were fun, others were a bit dull. A lot of it in first year seemed to be based around spectrometry which rarely worked and was pretty dull.

To be completely honest, I didn't really like any of the labs other than the microbiology labs with Kevin Purdy (he was my tutor and the coolest guy ever - sort of... I basically wanted to adopt him as a second dad) but yeah, they were pretty interesting because we got to grown cultures and try and identify types of bacteria and stuff.

Thing is, I found them boring and didn't like them, but still managed to come out with a first.

Although, saying all this, I ended up changing to a completely different course so I'm not sure how much this helps...

What I would say is that if you are concerned you don't have a passion for the degree and want to change course, get it sorted within the first few weeks of term - don't wait a whole year like I did.
I found the lab work fairly dull on the whole - some bits were fun and interesting, but they didnt especially excite me. But I always knew I didnt want to work in a lab or do a lab-based PhD afterwards, and I still really enjoyed the theory side of the degree (which makes up much more of the course). Despite finding it dull, I still averaged much higher in labs than my other modules/work!
Reply 29
Hi :smile:

I've just finished my second year so I can help you guys out.

1) That link from Lethorio shows all the modules. They're all fairly interesting. The options were (when I did them) Quantitative Biology, Environmental Biology, Animal and Plant Biology, Health and the Community and a psychology module. This might have changed but I think it was the same last year so maybe not.

2) When I did the first year exams (bear in mind that this was two years ago), there was a variety of exam styles, including half MCQ, half short answers (PGG, I think), just multiple choice (AID and Phys and Met), computer-based (Biostats) and half short answers, half essay (optional modules). Cells, Tissues and Organisms wasn't a module when I did first year, so I can't tell you about that.

3) There isn't really a syllabus so to speak, but I can give you an idea of each of the modules-
- PGG is your basic grounding in human biology (lots of eukaryotic cell structure and transcription/translation sorts of things)
- AID is an introduction to immunology, microbiology and virology, with a bit of population biology thrown in
- Phys and Met is quite a bit of biochemistry in the Met section (the reactions that make up respiration and photosynthesis mainly) and the Phys stuff is split up into sections like respiratory physiology, cardio, muscle function etc.
- Biostats is all done on Excel, about learning how to interpret experimental data (a lot of people struggle a bit in this module, just to warn you, but there is a new Mac Suite with c. 150 Macs which the lectures are taught in and makes it about a thousand times easier than when I did the course)
- Health and the Community (an optional) is about stuff like water-borne diseases and food poisoning and disease outbreaks, with a bit of bioterrorism thrown in which was brilliant and everyone's favourite part (I would really recommend doing this module as a biomed - it's the only one which is properly relevant to the course)
- Animal and Plant Biology (an optional) is basically simple evolution with certain bits focused on (frogs and sponges spring to mind...) - a lot of biomeds hate it because it is hard and not relevant so people don't want to bother trying, but if you're vaguely interested in evolution it is good, although I found the plant bit awfully dull despite enjoying the animal/human side

I hope that helps you, and I'm really happy to answer any more specific questions you might have :smile: You'll enjoy Warwick - it's amazing!

Hey! Thanks for all this info - v. helpful :smile: Can I ask what you're doing now (further study/job etc.) Cheers
Reply 30
Original post by goodtogallop
I found the lab work fairly dull on the whole - some bits were fun and interesting, but they didnt especially excite me. But I always knew I didnt want to work in a lab or do a lab-based PhD afterwards, and I still really enjoyed the theory side of the degree (which makes up much more of the course). Despite finding it dull, I still averaged much higher in labs than my other modules/work!

I was exactly the same! Enjoyed bits of the theory and thought that was my strength but still came out with a first in labs.

They are boring, but as soon as you get your head around the lab reports, it's easy to get high marks in them :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by Ursin
Hey! Thanks for all this info - v. helpful :smile: Can I ask what you're doing now (further study/job etc.) Cheers

Hi :smile: Glad you've found it all useful. I'm currently just starting my third year, so no job yet. I'm considering doing a master's though, but we'll have to see how it goes!
Reply 32
Original post by Rachel0
So I just did one year of Biomed at Warwick before changing course (just because I didn't feel it was a useful degree for me personally).

Loopy456 explained the modules really well but I think that it's worth mentioning that on top of that you may have to do a Chemistry for Biologists unit if you didn't do Chem at A Level, instead of one of the other optional modules. I had to do this and it was really helpful because a big amount of PGG requires you to understand chemistry so for the first half of the first term I barely understood this module... Anyway, Chemistry for Biologists was assessed by a set of take-home questions at the end of term 1 and an online multiple choice test in term 3 which, if you've done the online classwork every week, is pretty easy.

Another optional module you have is that you can over-CAT and do Brain and Behaviour. I wasn't allowed to take it because Chem already counted as my external module, but it's run by the psychology department and is supposed to be really interesting but is a hell of a lot of work.

On op of your written, multiple choice and online exams you'll also be assessed through your lab work - we had 2 every 3 weeks and had to write a 3 page (not including images) lab report for each one. And you'll be assessed for your tutorial work and things like assessed essays through out the year but this is relatively small in comparison with other modules.

Hey I am also currently studying chem at warwick. I am in myfirst year and I don’t feel like chemistry is for me. Do you enjoy managementand how do you find the course? Was it easy to change course? Thanks reallyappreciate any advice
Original post by Rachel0
So I just did one year of Biomed at Warwick before changing course (just because I didn't feel it was a useful degree for me personally).

Loopy456 explained the modules really well but I think that it's worth mentioning that on top of that you may have to do a Chemistry for Biologists unit if you didn't do Chem at A Level, instead of one of the other optional modules. I had to do this and it was really helpful because a big amount of PGG requires you to understand chemistry so for the first half of the first term I barely understood this module... Anyway, Chemistry for Biologists was assessed by a set of take-home questions at the end of term 1 and an online multiple choice test in term 3 which, if you've done the online classwork every week, is pretty easy.

Another optional module you have is that you can over-CAT and do Brain and Behaviour. I wasn't allowed to take it because Chem already counted as my external module, but it's run by the psychology department and is supposed to be really interesting but is a hell of a lot of work.

On op of your written, multiple choice and online exams you'll also be assessed through your lab work - we had 2 every 3 weeks and had to write a 3 page (not including images) lab report for each one. And you'll be assessed for your tutorial work and things like assessed essays through out the year but this is relatively small in comparison with other modules.

I am just wondering how hard is the Chemistry module? I haven't done chemistry since GCSE (I got an A). I didn't find it hard- but just worried because I haven't studied it in a while. Are there are books I can read before I start to brush up on my basic chemistry? Thanks! :colondollar:
Reply 34
Original post by cinderellie
I am just wondering how hard is the Chemistry module? I haven't done chemistry since GCSE (I got an A). I didn't find it hard- but just worried because I haven't studied it in a while. Are there are books I can read before I start to brush up on my basic chemistry? Thanks! :colondollar:

It's A Level Chemistry. Buy a decent A Level Chemistry textbook or this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chemistry-Biosciences-The-Essential-Concepts/dp/0199570876/ref=pd_cp_b_0 and you should be fine. The main problem I'm finding with it is that it's most of the AS/A Level syllabus, but condensed into such a short period of time, so you really have to do a lot of extra independent reading to make sure you're up to scratch.

Also, I'd recommend reading up before you arrive at the university, as the first part of the Proteins, Genes and Genetics module is biochemistry heavy.
Original post by cinderellie

Hi

I'm studying Biomedical Sciences at Warwick (switched from Biological Sciences after first year). I'm going into my fourth year next year (I'm on a placement at GSK this year - oops I should be working right now!). Like you, I only studied chemistry up to GCSE (I also got an A) and so I had to do the chemistry module.

They cover a lot of material in the 2-hour chemistry lectures so you have to be on the ball and taking notes to learn something from them. If I remember right this is one of the modules in first term so the lecture teaching style is a learning curve too. Make sure you complete the assignments set after each lecture because you will learn a lot more - they complement each lecture and solidify your learning.

It wouldn't harm to brush up on some basic chemistry before first term if you have the motivation. You'll find that most other modules become a lot easier when you have a decent knowledge of chemistry. I remember not understanding a lot in some of the early lectures because of my lack of chemistry. Then at the end of first year when I started revising they were easier because I understood the chemistry.

Don't stress too much about it though. Knowing chemistry is an advantage but a fair proportion of people don't at the start and they still manage. It helps that the end-of-year chemistry exam is one of the easiest. 50 multiple choice questions which do not represent the complexity of the lectures. Don't let that sway you from learning the material though - you'll thank yourself later as you progress through the degree.
Thank-you so much! I have just firmed Warwick (already have my A Level results so looks like i'll be heading there in September!)
Original post by Rachel0

hii- what course did you change to? I got an offer for biomedicine but I really want to change to medicine. any advice?

Quick Reply

Latest